Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-16-2009, 04:12 PM   #1

Going to Washington DC .. be careful?

Hey,

I am going to Washington DC on thursday, and want to make sure it's alright to be photographing buildings, and what not. I'm definitely taking my camera, so should I be careful, and not be taking photos of certain buildings?

Let me know, I don't want to get in trouble.

Thanks,

-Isaac

03-16-2009, 04:13 PM   #2
Damn Brit

Moved to Gatherings, Events and Photo Trips
03-16-2009, 04:14 PM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter

You'll be carrying a Pentax.
Everyone knows we are harmless.
03-16-2009, 04:26 PM   #4

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Damn Brit Quote
Moved to Gatherings, Events and Photo Trips
Oh thank you.

QuoteOriginally posted by Wheatfield Quote
You'll be carrying a Pentax.
Everyone knows we are harmless.
Haha, yes .. but do security guards know that?

Anyone else? But serious replies please

-Isaac

03-16-2009, 05:10 PM   #5
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery
To be on the safe side, it probably wouldn't hurt to ask a security guard if it's okay beforehand.
03-16-2009, 05:17 PM   #6

For what its worth, from what I know about the law (IANAL), as long as you are on public property with a clear line of sight to whatever you are photographing, no one can stop you from taking those shots. That means don't take any crap from private rent-a-cops trying to tell you that you can't take a picture of so-and-so building, and if they persist or threaten to call the police, tell them to do so– if the cops know anything about their job, they'll be on your side.

That being said, being DC there may very well be some sensitivity when it comes to taking pictures of government buildings. I doubt there are any hard and fast rules about it, but I can certainly imagine you being visited by a pair of friendly federal agents if you take too many 'suspicious' shots.

Knowing your rights is an important part of being a photographer. Have a great trip!
03-16-2009, 05:33 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Don't miss...

...the lower level moving sidewalk into the east wing of the National Gallery of Art.

Last edited by Michaelina2; 03-17-2009 at 12:18 PM.
03-16-2009, 05:37 PM   #8
Veteran Member

I live in northern Va, about 35 miles west of DC and I haven't heard about anyone being hassled about their photos. There was a problem at one time in taking photos inside Union Station, but the security forces there have been instructed that it is OK to shoot inside. Don't know the specifics of the wording, but that is the gist of it. You can shoot the White House, Capitol, Washington Monument, Lincloln Memorial, Jefferson Memorial, Viet Nam Wall, Navy Memorial, etc., without any problems. You can also shoot inside all of the Smithsonian Museums. Enjoy yourself and keep a close eye on your gear -- it is Washington DC after all.
03-16-2009, 05:38 PM   #9
Damn Brit

Just use your common sense Isaac and assess the situation on an 'as and when' basis. I'm sure most places you go others will be using their cameras also (safety in numbers).
Best advice is to not worry and enjoy the trip. Although there have been a few discussions on the forum recently about people getting in trouble for taking photographs in public, to look at the bigger picture, these instances are still incredibly rare.

If you tell us when you are getting back, if we don't hear from you the next day, we'll call the A-Team.
03-16-2009, 06:24 PM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
You should be fine. Every time i have gone there, all the tourist been snapping away happily.
Never seen anyone being harassed by the cops, just don't try to jump the fence on south lawn.
Cheers, Mike.

P.S.
Strength in numbers, don't veer of into dark alleys.
03-16-2009, 06:33 PM   #11

Original Poster
Thanks for the advice everyone!

I think I'll be just fine .. I was there last spring as well with just a point and shoot, and was fine, so really it's the same thing

I'll post pics when I'm there/back.

-Isaac
03-16-2009, 06:34 PM   #12

This doesn't directly apply to DC but it might be good to read incase anyone confronts you:

http://www.krages.com/ThePhotographersRight.pdf
03-16-2009, 08:58 PM   #13

p.s. go check out the cherry blossom buds. it wont be peak season for 2-3 more weeks, but you should get some interesting/different shots than everyone else at least

the only people on the mall I had trouble with were the national guardsmen at the inauguration concert. as long as you're on public property you're fine. most of the museums allow cameras, but check for flash/bag or mono/tripod restrictions ahead of time. Would be a good time to make yourself an rs-strap or a string stabilizer.

Have fun and enjoy the city!
-southy
03-17-2009, 05:32 AM   #14
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by southy Quote
... most of the museums allow cameras, but check for flash/bag or mono/tripod restrictions ahead of time. Would be a good time to make yourself an rs-strap or a string stabilizer.

Have fun and enjoy the city!
-southy
+1 on the flash, most of the building that don't allow flash have that warning posted. I believe the National Gallery of Art is one of those buildings where flash is prohibited, and maybe the National Aquarium (waste of time, I believe its in the basement of the Commerce building).
03-18-2009, 08:10 AM   #15
Veteran Member

Everybody walking around DC is taking pictures; just use some common sense relative to what it is that you are shooting. My advice (I lived there for several years) is to be very aware of where you are going;there are parts of the city that you don't want to wander around in, especially showing a camera.

Try to get to the Air/Space Museum that is out by Dulles airport. Amazing!