Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-16-2009, 01:11 PM   #1

Travel kit for 3 weeks in europe

Hi everyone,
Just wondering what peoples thougths are on what to bring on a 3 week trip to europe. I have the k100d and was hoping to bring my

pentax 10-17fish eye,
sigma10-20
tamron18-250
pentax 50mm1.4.
not sure how many sd cards to brin either

Is this too much to lug around every day? Its just so hard to leave a lens behind because they all have different uses.
Any thoughts?

Thank you!

04-16-2009, 01:26 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I think personally that is a great selection. It would depend on if you are like me and basically carry my camera almost all the time. I struggle on trips to leave any lens home. This year on a trip to Mexico I did leave the Bigma home , but you know what there was an occassion I could have used it ! It was good exercise as well carrying my Lowpro computrekker back pack most places as well. I think it weighted almost 10kilos (22lbs).

I think you have it all covered. FIshsye for unique shots, Sigma for wide, Tammy for walk around and the 50 for low light - for me (being more of a zoom guy) looks perfect.
04-16-2009, 01:28 PM   #3
Veteran Member

I doubt I'd bring a fisheye if I had the 10-20, but I also can't say I'm overly enamored of fisheye shots in general. From what I've seen, the 18-250 is already as "fishy" at 18mm as I'd ever be able to stand. The 18-250 and 50 would do well most of the time for me.

As for cards, that depends of course on how much you shoot, but also one whether you'll have a laptop or external hard drive or be in towns large enough to feature libraries or internet cafes that would allow you to be able to download your images and store them somewhat else. I'd probably bring a portable USB drive and enough SD cards for 3 days or so of shooting, and assume I'd be able to find a place to donwload the pictures to my drive at least that often.
04-16-2009, 02:02 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Very, very close to my kit.

I carry a 12-24, 77 ltd and 18-250. I prefer the 77 focal length, i'd los ethe fisheye personally. The Tamrac Express messenger bag in Khaki colour is super in europe, you don't look like anerd taking it to a restaurant or out at night.

QuoteOriginally posted by Tammmzy Quote
Hi everyone,
Just wondering what peoples thougths are on what to bring on a 3 week trip to europe. I have the k100d and was hoping to bring my

pentax 10-17fish eye,
sigma10-20
tamron18-250
pentax 50mm1.4.

Is this too much to lug around every day? Its just so hard to leave a lens behind because they all have different uses.
Any thoughts?

Thank you!

04-16-2009, 02:08 PM   #5

Personally ...

I'd take the:

Pentax 10-17mm Fisheye
Sigma 10-20mm
Pentax FA 50mm F/1.4

The 10-20mm is great wide angle, 10-17mm would be great for unique building shots, and the Pentax FA 50mm would be awesome for low light, portraits and just overall..

That is my personal preference. I've never used either of those lenses (getting an FA 50mm F/1.4 though!), but I'm not a fan of really big zoom range lenses ...

Have a good trip,

-Isaac
04-16-2009, 02:13 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Hey, I'm with Marc when he says stuff like...

QuoteOriginally posted by Marc Sabatella Quote
I doubt I'd bring a fisheye if I had the 10-20, but I also can't say I'm overly enamored of fisheye shots in general. From what I've seen, the 18-250 is already as "fishy" at 18mm as I'd ever be able to stand.
Isn't the whole idea of the Tamron 18-250 superzoom that you don't need another lens?

My preference is for primes for ultimate quality Still, I think I would take:
DA16-45 -- almost as good as a prime and wide enough for me
K 50/1.2 -- for inside shots, because I hate carrying tripods
FA77 -- a bit more reach and for when I want auto-focus
DA35 macro -- on a second body, in my wife's bag

As you can see, I'm not much of a tele person.

QuoteOriginally posted by Marc Sabatella Quote
I'd probably bring a portable USB drive and enough SD cards for 3 days or so of shooting, and assume I'd be able to find a place to donwload the pictures to my drive at least that often.
The other thing to consider is switching to JPG for snapshots. Plus, if you dup shots a lot (bracketing etc.) spend some time in a cafe or your room deleting the obviously bad takes. It might be quite a while before you need to purge cards.

Figure out how many shots you take on a busy day out, multiply by their size and figure it out from there!
04-16-2009, 03:05 PM   #7
Veteran Member

pentax 10-17fish eye,
sigma10-20
tamron18-250
pentax 50mm1.4.

Is this too much to lug around every day? (snip)

I live in Europe, so things are obviously a bit easier for me - carry what might be needed for that particular day. Thus, the answer to your question may be to ask yourself what you'd recommend I bring for a three-week trip to Canada. Afterwards, load all that into a bag and tote it for a good afternoon around your hometown to see if it's too much to carry. Either way, you'll have your answer.

As for the number of SD cards, that depends on your own shooting habits and whether you're bringing a computer to download images to each night. Using the machine-gun approach will obviously use more cards than precision shooting (one or two carefully planned shots of each subject). Again, an afternoon trip around your own hometown will likely answer this question as well. If you underestimate the number of cards, you can always easily pick up more at most any consumer electronics store.

stewart

04-16-2009, 05:01 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Hi everyone,

pentax 10-17fish eye,
sigma10-20
tamron18-250
pentax 50mm1.4.

Any thoughts?

Thank you!
I spent 17 days in france with my family in 2007. I took the K10D, sigma 10-20, SMC-FAJ 17-35, Tamron 28-75 F2.8 and sigma 70-200 F2.8 plus 2x TC.

Given the minimal time i had for wildlife I should have left the 70-200 at home along with the TC and taken my smc 135 F2.8 and 1.7x AF TC to cut the weight,
04-16-2009, 05:32 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I never go anywhere without my FA50/1.4 regardless of destination.

Jack
04-16-2009, 05:33 PM   #10

Travel Kit

Of the lenses you list, I think I'd leave out the 10-20. Glad you're taking the 50/1.4 - great lenses! I just bought my third one of those today. I've got a Super-Takumar plus an SMC Takumar, and just added a Pentax-A. Looking forward to not having to fool with the adapter ring any more (at least for the 50/1.4).
Memory cards. If you're bringing a laptop too, just bring the cable and download. If you're bringing chips, I think I'd want at least 6G for three weeks. If you run short, buy another (or edit harder).
You didn't mention batteries. Personally, I use NiMH and carry spares and a charger - but my charger needs 110V. Batteries are likely to be more of an issue than memory! If you use those CR-V3 things, you may want to bring a few sets. Otherwise, a bale of AAs. Don't count on finding an outlet to fit your charger.
Oh yeah - enjoy your trip. Nothing like foreign travel. I still vividly remember carrying my Spotmatic with a Meyer 180/3.5 through Checkpoint Charlie in 1965 - still have both, but Checkpoint Charlie (and the wall) is gone!

Al
04-16-2009, 06:32 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Some of you blokes are so narrow minded about the superzoom, it is about 90% as good as the two kit lenses so why on earth would you carry them.

Why do some feel a superzoom is mutually exclusive and it becomes frozon on the camera? I used the 12-24 indoors (churches etc) or landscapes (if I had trime to change lenses) or on narrow streets. The 77 was for night time and subject isolation and the 18-250 was for general wandering about when I knew i would not get a chance to change lenses.
04-17-2009, 05:14 AM   #12
Veteran Member

Regarding your SD cards, you might consider multiple smaller ones (4gb) rather than a large one. It would not be a pleasant trip if your card got corrupted and you lost everything. Better to lose 1 day's worth rather than everything.
04-17-2009, 05:20 AM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by aesch Quote
Of the lenses you list, I think I'd leave out the 10-20.
Al
you need to explain this to me a little, I used my 10-20 for about 50% of all shots on my trip to france, and also on a trip to prague a year later. european cities are just too compact to let you stand back and take street photos without the 10-20.

years ago (in the stone age when every one used film) I lived in europe for 2 years, and my widest lens was a 24mm (equal to 16mm on an ASP-C sensor. it was never wide enough
04-17-2009, 06:25 AM   #14

I just returned from 8 days in Turkey with the DA 12-24mm, Tamron 28-75mm, DA 40mm, and FA 50mm. I used the 12-24mm 75% of the time with the rest split between the 28-75mm and DA40mm. I don't think I took the FA 50mm out of my bag, as I've had problems adapting to the focal length and its thin depth of field when wide open. I'd rather punch the ISO instead. I did wish I had more reach while in Turkey, especially when exploring the neighborhoods and enjoying and afternoon with Fragla and others on the Asian side.

As for memory, I took 2-3 memory cards, an external hard drive with laptop, and Wolverine card reader. The Wolverine crashed the first day there and rendered a friend's memory card useless (his only card). I never filled an 8 gig card during one day, but did return with 14 gig of RAW files.

Enjoy Europe!!!
04-17-2009, 06:40 AM   #15
Inactive Account

For the cost of your trip to Europe, I'd definitely drop another $100 or so on smaller single-day capacity memory cards (4-8GB) as people have suggested.