Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-06-2009, 05:52 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Any meetups in NYC?

I havent wandered into here much, so if I've missed it...my apologies...

but seeing as we have a few NYC area members, has there been discussions of semi-regular meetups in the city?

i work in the city right by grand central, and home most times ends up being on staten island. would love to walk around the city for a couple hours after work (or during, depending on the time of year...) and just shoot some. plus, would be nice for me to get some pointers from other more seasoned pentax shooters.

figured i would toss it out there

05-06-2009, 06:30 PM   #2
Veteran Member

I would be down for something like that. I'm not in the city as much as I would like to be, but I do dip in every now and then.
06-28-2009, 09:45 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

recommendations for what to take to NYC

I (+wife and child) will be in NY for roughly a week starting on July 4. For the weekend we'll be up in the Catskills, but for the rest of the week we'll be mostly in the City. What gear should I bring into the City? Travel light? I shoot with a K20D and grip....

Lens options: Pentax 12-24, Sigma 17-70, Pentax 50 f/1.4, Sigma 70-200 f/2.8, Sigma 180 f/3.5 macro, Sigma 1.4x APO TC, Bigma, Pentax 35 f2 A series, Pentax 28 f.28 M series.

other equipment possibilities: carbon fiber tripod, 540 flash, Pentax off-camera flash cord, better Beamer flash extension,

Probably will take the child to see lady Liberty and at least one museum, and we'll have to get her into Central Park.

Any recommendations appreciated!
06-28-2009, 06:48 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
i havent done a lot of shooting in the city (i know, i only worked there....)....but if i were going around, i think i'd go for just the 17-70. lately when i am shooting, my 16-45 is almost always the only one ever used, and when i get my next job, i want to grab a 17-70 (usually with the 16-45 i wish for a little more reach, but generally don't like the hassle of flipping between that and the 50-135 or other options.

if you have some pancake type lenses, those are easy to carry....maybe a longer lens if you take a ride on the SI ferry and want to shoot some shots of the statue or the city from the boat....but most days i'd go with a one lens approach