Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-15-2009, 06:44 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Planning trip to Vancouver and need help

Hello,

My job is sending me to Vancouver from the 8 to 12 of June for a training.

I know the training ends at 5m everyday and I was wondering what I could do in town.

My company is cheap and I won't have a car there and I will be in Richmond next to the airport. Looking at Google Earth, I haven't seen anything interesting in that region but I and it could be wrong.

I would really like to bring my camera (hopefully no problem with United with that) and take pictures of a big town, museum... I'm living in the middle of the country so city-scape would be nice to see.

Thank you for your help, it is very appreciate.

05-15-2009, 07:46 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Use the Skytrain it is a great way to get around,

You can start at waterfront, visit the downtown area, Gasstown etc.

The transit system, including busses is quite good.

You should try to visit Stanley Park, the Lion's Gate bridge, New Westminster, etc...
05-15-2009, 07:47 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
You should be able to take a city bus into town (takes about 30 minutes....you'll be going the opposite direction of rush hour so you should be fine). A few ideas.....

You can walk the high rises and then walk up to Robson street (lots of people and energy). Or walk down to the water to watch the seaplanes.

Stanley Park - the seawall or aquarium (this park is huge so do some research so you know where to go)

You can take the skytrain (again do some research)

You could go to the base of Grouse Mountain (North Vancouver...more of a trip) and take the gondola up to the top of the mountain that looks over the city)

Here is a pic of Van (not mine....passed on by a friend)
Attached Images

05-15-2009, 08:11 AM   #4
YJD
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Do they do week pass to use busses and the skytrain? If yes, do you guys know the price of it?

05-15-2009, 08:46 AM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by YJD Quote
Do they do week pass to use busses and the skytrain? If yes, do you guys know the price of it?

Check out TransLink.ca - Home You should be able to find the schedules, fees etc (I think there are passes...not sure)
05-15-2009, 08:47 AM   #6
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Vancouver is an exciting and cosmopolitan city. I had the privilege of living there for a year while attending UBC in the early 1980s. In addition to the excellent suggestions above, I would add Queen Elizabeth Park. It is not too far from the airport area and features great views and an excellent botanical conservatory...
Vancouver Park Board - Queen Elizabeth Park
I could also suggest Kitsilano to showcase the more bohemian and artsy side of the city. The views across English Bay to downtown Vancouver from Kits and Jericho beaches are really nice around sunset. As noted above, the Greater Vancouver area has an excellent public transit system that includes water transport (Seabus) to North Vancouver. Enjoy!

Steve

(Now living in the "other" Vancouver...)
05-15-2009, 11:29 AM   #7
YJD
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks for the info.
Also, what type of lens should I bring?
I'm getting a new Tamron 28-105 f4-5.6, should I take this one or another one from my equipment list?
05-16-2009, 10:40 AM   #8
Veteran Member

A superzoom is great but I'd suggest the kit lens as well (if you have it) so you'd get the 18mm coverage. From Richmond to downtown would take you around 45 minutes. If you only have four days I'd say just check out the downtown area and adventure there.

Jut walking around in downtown would get you enough photo op if you're into street photography. A fast fifty / 35 would be nice too since you'll only be there around 6 pm where the light levels are lower.

Parks to visit:
Stanley Park and the Seawall
Van Dusen
UBC Botanical Garden, UBC Nitobe Garden, Anthropology museum (IINM closed after 6 pm though, check online),

Buildings/Places to see:
Granville Island (try the ice cream that's under the bridge), this place has lots of art galleries if you're into that sort of thing... but again closed after 5
Marine Building @ downtown. Probably closed after 5
Robson Square and Law courts (the art gallery is more than decent as well)

Shopping wise there's not much excitement in Vancouver imo. The food variety is amazing though. In downtown Robson street try out the Korean restaurants! Most of them are great and opens late, just ask what's the popular item. Most are located north of Burrard.

In Richmond itself there are tons of good Chinese food, although I'm much less versed in that area than downtown.

And remember not everything has to be a photo op...

Last edited by Andi Lo; 05-16-2009 at 10:48 AM.
05-16-2009, 03:32 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Bus Transit: 98b line is your friend if you need to go to Vancouver from Richmond.
check out:
Restaurants and Reviews for Metro Vancouver, Whistler and Victoria
visit gastown in vancouver.
check out london drugs on westminster hwy and No.3 road. Good selection on cameras. Kerrisdale Cameras (used lenses )is also on No3 road across from Richmond Center Mall.
*also a broadway camera in Aberdeen center.