Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-25-2009, 08:12 AM   #16
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
20th Annual MAYBERRY DAYS in Mount Airy, NC

Thursday - Sunday, September 24-27, 2009 (Going on now)

Mayberry Days

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

43rd Autumn Leaves Fest, Mount Airy, NC
October 9 - 11, 2009

http://www.mtairyncchamber.org/autumnleavesfestival.aspx

145th Anniversary Reenactment of The Battle of Cedar Creek, October 17 & 18, 2009, Middleton, VA

http://www.cedarcreekbattlefield.org/

Civil War Re-enactment - Stoneman's Raid on Asheville, November 14 &15, 2009, Rutherfordton, NC

Experience a Civil War battle, complete with Cavalry, Artillery, and Infantry. Visit military camps and see how civilians coped with the hardships of the War Between the States. There is a full line up of action both days--Saturday, November 14, 9 am to 8 pm and Sunday, 9 am to 4 pm. See demonstrations, period vendors, witness a fashion show, a true to life battle each day and a formal ball on Saturday.

November 26, 2009 Carolinas' Thanksgiving Day Parade Charlotte, NC

If are looking for anything in particular, let me know. I have time to do research. I can come up with a whole bunch of things to do.

Chris

Last edited by Wildnsyko; 09-25-2009 at 08:40 AM. Reason: Added more events.
09-27-2009, 07:00 AM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
The Cedar Creek Battle event is already on the calendar. I will add the rest. Thanks.

Mike
09-27-2009, 09:01 AM   #18
Veteran Member

Short notice but the NC Seafood festival is next weekendin Morehead City NC. There is even a Best Festival Photo Contest!. The area also has wildlife , Cival War , beach and historic photo ops.
Check it out at North Carolina Seafood Festival
09-30-2009, 08:09 AM   #19
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by seacapt Quote
Short notice but the NC Seafood festival is next weekendin Morehead City NC. There is even a Best Festival Photo Contest!. The area also has wildlife , Cival War , beach and historic photo ops.
Check it out at North Carolina Seafood Festival
Done.. Thanks!

04-30-2010, 08:04 AM   #20
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Time to start posting 2010 events

2010 Mid-Atlantic PhotoOps Calendar

Well I've gotten a bit behind due to my kitchen renovation but I finally got around to posting some events to the 2010 calendar.

If you know an interesting event or photo opportunity in the Mid-Atlantic area of the U.S. (VA, MD, DC, PA, WV, DE and NC), please post it here or PM me so I can add it to the calendar.

Mike
07-27-2010, 07:54 AM   #21
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

This is absolutely one of my favorites for photography. All shots must be either hand held or with a monopod. Absolutely worth the time!

"Wings of Fancy Live Butterfly Exhibit"
Saturday, May 1 through Sunday, September 19, 2010
10:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m. daily
This year the focus is on butterflies in your backyard, and the host plants that local caterpillars need in order to survive and thrive. Learn about the life cycle of these amazing creatures, and be surrounded by hundreds of North American, Costa Rican and Asian butterflies flying freely inside the Conservatory.

Montgomery Parks: Brookside Gardens - "Wings of Fancy" Live Butterfly Exhibit
07-27-2010, 05:13 PM   #22
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Looks like a neat shoot Chuck Are you planning a visit anytime soon? It'd be hard to put the entire May to Sept event on the calendar but if you want to set a date I will post it.

Mike

07-31-2010, 12:16 PM   #23
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Hey Mike

I've given this some thought without a good conclusion. Perhaps the way to handle the Butterfly Show is to put 9/18 on the calendar and state that this is the last weekend that the exhibit is open. Alternatively, you could put it on 9/1 and state that the exhibit will close in 19 days. Sorry, I don't have a great answer.....

Oh here is the Naval Air Station Oceana Air show on September 17-19, 2010....

Home :: Oceana Air Show

And here is the Grand Illumination in Williamsburg which will be on the evening of 12/5/10.

Grand Illumination : The Colonial Williamsburg Official History Site

I found this to be a particularly challenging shoot with the need to correctly expose the Building, while not under/over exposing the fireworks.

A couple of attempts from last year.

07-31-2010, 01:22 PM   #24
Veteran Member

On Sep 4-5 in Martinsburg WV: Thunder over the Blue Ridge Open House & Air Show featuring the US Air Force Thunderbirds and US Army Golden Knights.

Admission is free but a $10 donation to the United Way is encouraged.

Thunder Over the Blue Ridge
07-31-2010, 01:53 PM   #25
Veteran Member

September 17 is the 148th anniversary of the bloodiest day in American history--the battle of Antietam. I don't know if the park has anything planned for that day, didn't see anything on the website.

Also, the annual memorial illumination is scheduled for December 4:

Antietam National Battlefield - The Memorial Illumination (U.S. National Park Service)
07-31-2010, 01:56 PM   #26
Veteran Member

Here is a link to the list of scheduled events at Harpers Ferry National Park

Harpers Ferry National Historical Park - Schedule Of Events (U.S. National Park Service)
08-03-2010, 02:01 PM   #27
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Here is a link to the Friends of the NAtional Zoo Photo Club

FONZ Photo Club - National Zoo| FONZ

The FONZ Photo Club usually meets on the first Tuesday of every month in the Zoo's Visitor Center at 7 p.m. Zoo grounds close at 6 p.m., so you enter the Zoo through the Connecticut Avenue vehicle entrance and proceed to the side doors of the Visitor Center (next to the cheetah yards) marked Employees Only.

You must be a FONZ member to join the FONZ Photo Club
08-04-2010, 01:54 PM   #28
Forum Member

Mike,
Also on the Cedar Creek Battle weekend, is the
http://www.historiclongbranch.com/balloonfest/]Shenandoah Valley Hot Air Balloon & Wine Festival at Historic Long Branch[/url] in Berryville

also Virginia Gold Cup | Virginia Steeplechase at Great Meadow
Both also on the weekend of Oct 16,17---Stoge
08-11-2010, 01:15 PM   #29
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The Mid-Atlantic Nature Photgraphy Expo occurs November 13 and 14. 2010 at the Hylton Performing Arts Center on the Price William County Campus of George Mason University, which is located on 1900 University Blvd Manassas, VA.

Members of the Loudoun, Mclean, Manassass Warrenton, Northern VA Photographic Society, Reston and Vienna camera clubs are eligible to submit images for the juried exhibit at the Expo.

Never been, don't know much more. The link is below.

Nature Visions
08-11-2010, 04:52 PM   #30
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks for all of the event heads-ups... I've added most to the calendar. So many things to shoot and so little time!