Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-15-2009, 02:45 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Anything interesting near puyallup, WA?

I'm visiting in-laws this weekend and need a place to escape (other than a bottle of jim beam). Anything worth shooting? I don't have a long telephoto and I know mt rainier is nearby but really, all I see is urban sprawl when I go.

Anyone in the area have any tips? Pt. defiance in tacoma?

05-15-2009, 03:31 PM   #2
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Depends on how much time you have. Point Defiance, Tacoma Narrows Bridge, and Saltwater State Park come to mind. There is a small ferry from near Pt. Defiance to Vashon Island. The boat, the ride, and the island are all picturesque. If it were a little earlier in the year, I would suggest the flower fields, but I think they are all done by now.

Steve
05-15-2009, 07:54 PM   #3
DAZ
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
It depends on what you are interested in shooting and if the weather cooperates. You can try the glass museum. I think the Washington state museum is in Tacoma. There is the Fosse waterway. There is an interesting cable stay bridge down there. The old union station is now a court house and has been remodeled. You could go down Schuster pkwy/Ruston way. There are all kinds of little parks some with sculptures/sun dials on the water. Down that way you pass Old Town Tacoma. This will dump you into Ruston just out side of Point Defiance. There is the zoo & Aquarium, Fort Nisqually, the old logging camp museum (but I think it is to soon for the steam train to be running), Owen beach and lots of photo spots on the 5-mile drive. Have lunch at Anthony’s and watch the Rhododendron come and go or take a ride to Vashon. Titlow park has a good view of the bridges. This is where the ferry along time ago was that crossed the narrows. There is also a park on the other side. Back on the other side of Commencement Bay on Marine View Dr there is a place called the Cliff House. The bar has a fantastic view of Commencement Bay.

You could go north to Seattle to places like Gas Works Park or the Seattle Center. Tons of stuff there.

In Puyallup there is the state fair grounds. The fair is not on but lots of other things that happen there but you would have to check the schedule.

Lots more but if you only have one weekend you are a somewhat limited on seeing it all.

DAZ