Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-04-2009, 10:15 PM   #16
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Grant and Gary: a sincere thanks to both of you for the votes of confidence. I've been mulling over the thought of diving into workshop-style events, since I've already done my fair share of teaching classes and leading field trips (even outside of photography). I believe the workshop atmosphere would be top shelf for several reasons.

Just so it's clear, the workshop isn't just a workshop where I talk, etc., it's an immersion into photography. We enter into it as a team - we support one another and offer advice where appropriate. We have lots of options and flexibility with what we do, since I believe that the students should come away with the skills to improve themselves and hopefully avoid the mistakes I made during my journey.

I do have a fair bit already fleshed out in terms of the general aspects (what to expect in general terms and options, gear list, etc.), but it is more determining interest levels and what/where we go in terms of dates and location. I may have some options in pulling in resources too. I do plan to offer the option of some nice mementos of the trip that is included in the final price and some potential surprises if all goes well. If interest continues to build, I'll put up more information.

Regards,
Marc

07-05-2009, 11:39 AM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Has a time been discussed as I would be VERY interested depending on dates. I could easily get to San Fran or else where. I want to do this for two reasons. One, to learn from someone like Marc that shoots Pentax equipment. Any other work shop I have looked into is more geared around Nikon or Canon. Secondly, I may be able to findly get me heads on Marc's 200mm. [hahaha] West Coast is much easier for me this year but in 2010, would consider heading East where. The fall, I believe may offer the best for photo's oops???
Marc, maybe a list of items you would suggest for such a trip can help everyone prepare? Keep me in the loop. JIM
07-05-2009, 12:29 PM   #18
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Jimbo Quote
Has a time been discussed as I would be VERY interested depending on dates. I could easily get to San Fran or else where. I want to do this for two reasons. One, to learn from someone like Marc that shoots Pentax equipment. Any other work shop I have looked into is more geared around Nikon or Canon. Secondly, I may be able to findly get me heads on Marc's 200mm. [hahaha] West Coast is much easier for me this year but in 2010, would consider heading East where. The fall, I believe may offer the best for photo's oops???
Marc, maybe a list of items you would suggest for such a trip can help everyone prepare? Keep me in the loop. JIM
Hi Jim,

I am guessing on the possibility of a Western US venue this time round, possibly this fall. Much will depend on the level of participant interest and schedules. The fall time slot is a big attraction because of the potential colors, no question! It can be a bit of a chance to be taken if we go to a locale that has deciduous trees (for fall foliage color). If the area experiences heavy rains through most of the summer and not as much dry hot weather for a while, it can mute the colors a bit (that's been my experience). Better to be slightly early than late of course. I know enough folks and resources online to get that within a reasonable window, but it's still a window of time we are dealing with...

The gear list/recommended items to bring is already being prepped, so no worries there. My intent is to make a suggestion list to have a person as close to self sufficient yet relatively light in terms of gear carried. I always get a kick out of people's reactions when I show them what I use to get 90-95% of my images (landscape and macro work). It's much less than you think. Most of our work will range between 12mm and 200mm. Only the birding/wildlife images need more specialized setups for that extra stability and reach. I plan to bring my best lenses and let folks try them out, but everyone should bring one longer lens (300mm or so) if the locale warrants some wildlife opportunities.

I'll bring the typical workshop goodies that Wimberley should provide (membership services perk), plus leveraging other potential sponsorships, etc...

Regards,
Marc
07-05-2009, 02:56 PM   #19
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Sounds good Marc. I will look into the 300mm. Look forward to hearing more. I will pass along to a couple who I think would be interested in something like this. Once we have a better idea of location I can start looking through the area. Great idea. I would think I would bring my 12-24, 90 macro, and 70-200, though if I can get the 100-300, I may leave the 70-200 at home. Cheers JIM

07-06-2009, 04:50 PM   #20
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

My good neighbor down the road was really excited about the news of my potentially running a photography workshop.

I was then informed today by her that she would really like her husband to go, (possibly his dad as well)... He almost went Pentax - I actually loaned him my K10D, 2 kits lenses and the FA 100/2.8 macro. However, he was able to get a really good deal on a D80 at the time.

Well, I think we can add one more to the total... Andrew is a Nikon shooter, very laid back and is not concerned with brands at all - just the images. This would help keep the interest and the ball rolling, so to speak. I did inform her that at this time we were considering Pentax shooters only, so she is aware. That's why I am putting it out there to all of you - is that a problem with anyone if they don't shoot Pentax?

Regards,
Marc
07-06-2009, 05:50 PM   #21
Damn Brit

Let's see how the numbers go but I don't care what people shoot with.
07-06-2009, 06:42 PM   #22
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
No problem with other brands Marc, I think the real bonus for we Pentax users will be to have someone there who has experience with our marque.

07-06-2009, 06:47 PM   #23
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Thanks Gary and Grant for the understanding.

That would bring the participant count to 4, still waiting on Jim for the couple he referenced earlier. If Andrew's dad comes, then we are at 5 people, which is looking better. That's with very little going on other than word of mouth so far...
07-06-2009, 10:07 PM   #24
Veteran Member

This is something that I hoped may come up...

QuoteOriginally posted by Marc Langille Quote
Thanks Gary and Grant for the understanding.

That would bring the participant count to 4, still waiting on Jim for the couple he referenced earlier. If Andrew's dad comes, then we are at 5 people, which is looking better. That's with very little going on other than word of mouth so far...

Make that five. I have been thinking about this for a couple of months but had some of the same concerns about photo work shops as Mallee and lithos.

I'm pretty comfortable with any location West of Denver, I have been to most of the locations listed and any of them are OK with me.

What would be the max amount of people that you would be willing to take? I know another Nikon shooter that may be interested.

Please keep me informed.

Thanks,

John
07-06-2009, 10:29 PM   #25
Damn Brit

Nice one John.
07-06-2009, 10:36 PM   #26
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Damn Brit Quote
Nice one John.
Just glad I seen this before it filled up, I know it will and I would have been pissed.

I may even buy two spots so I can put one up in the market place, I would probably be able to double my money.
07-06-2009, 10:55 PM   #27
Damn Brit

QuoteOriginally posted by skinja Quote
Just glad I seen this before it filled up, I know it will and I would have been pissed.

I may even buy two spots so I can put one up in the market place, I would probably be able to double my money.

You better make a Resellers Donation then.

I don't think it will be that heavy a turnout, this is new territory for all of us.
07-07-2009, 11:06 AM   #28
Veteran Member

Talked to my Nikon buddy today he is most likely not interested, he can be a little snobish, but all in all a good guy. He asked what the instructor would be using Canon or Nikon, and I told him Pentax.... Oh he says, looking down his nose...... then probably not. but he wants to know what the plan is and how much. So I would assume he is probably out, but I will keep him informed any way.
07-07-2009, 02:05 PM   #29
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Thanks John for the updates... however, scalping is not allowed... The maximum will be 10 people - I will not exceed that number for several reasons. If there turns out to be enough demand, I'll run two workshops to ensure the standards remain high - no compromises!

Regarding your Nikon shooting buddy: you may know that I teach classes that are dominated by Canon and Nikon shooters. My choice of gear has never been an issue with pros, semi-pros or students alike.

My suggestion: please refer him to my website and let him view my equipment list, past and present. It still lists the Canon gear that I used for a competition in 2008. I guess Bedfords thought I was competent enough to be handed $7000 in camera gear sponsorship for that wildlife photo competition. Ultimately, if my images cannot convince him that I am competent, then nothing will.

Side note: I am looking forward to seeing my four images being published in the nature conservation book this year (VLF winning images). My civil war reenactment images also have good news coming in the future! However, until the verbal deal is actually in writing, I can only state that it looks very, very positive...

Regards,
Marc
07-07-2009, 03:53 PM   #30
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Marc Langille Quote
Thanks John for the updates... however, scalping is not allowed...

Regards,
Marc

Damn and I thought I was going to make some money

Thanks Marc, I will forward this onto him. I think it's more of an issue of him ribbing me about my Pentax gear. I rib him about not putting his D300 to good use, I think it spends a little to much time as a paper weight that 70-200 vr sit's on the shelf way to much, he has been pretty busy with family and I can't seem to get him out in the field as much anymore. I told him that I could help him learn to get some good pictures with his piece of junk So anyway, yes he can be a little snobish about his gear, but it doesn't have have anything to do with you or your ability as a teacher, it's about me and my Pentax gear. Sorry if I didn't convey that correctly.

Looking forward to hearing more about your upcoming work shop.

John