Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-03-2009, 09:32 PM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Workshops

I have been looking around at a number of Photo Workshops and have come up with a "bright idea" ...(sorry...its quiet in the office again ).

My main problem with coughing up some cash to join a workshop is that I am suspicious about a): the knowledge of the person teaching me & b): am I going to get anything of real value out of it if a) isnt up to it.

So.....Is anyone here prepared to run/host a workshop...in say Grand Canyon, Yosemite, Zion, Yellowstone, Sierras....etc etc

And dont get me wrong, I'm not looking for any thing cheap or any favours, I genuinley want to learn more and am prepared to pay and therefore the thought of why pay an unknown when I could pay someone from here who I/we "know", trust, respect and admire their work. Several people come to mind but I wont embarass them by naming them....hopefully they will respond to this.

Really appreciate some feedback on this.

Cheers
Grant

07-03-2009, 11:36 PM   #2
Damn Brit

Just a thought Grant, rather than a workshop, why not have a get together and just bounce ideas off each other. We could rent a place and really focus. We can all bring something to the table, even if it's only a round of beers.
07-04-2009, 02:46 AM   #3
Inactive Account

That'd be better. Nine times out of ten, workshops are run to benefit the "teacher(s)," not the students.

Well, the technical side is something that's handy to brush up on (upon which to brush? Is Churchill reading this?) but as for the artistic side - tell 'em to go to hell. Besides, why does anyone want to take pictures likes *drop gratuitous famous photographer's name - Ansel Adams is always a good 'un*
07-04-2009, 03:12 PM   #4
Veteran Member

This one's more event/photo trip related, so I've moved it into the sub-forum of Gatherings, Events and Photo Trips.

Regards,
Marc

07-04-2009, 03:58 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Grant: some of those suggestions can be some fine areas to see. One thing of note and it's been covered by Gary and Lithos is those workshops can be teacher instead of student oriented, so I understand your concerns.

I personally (if visiting Yellowstone/Yosemite) would seriously consider seeing see the "less populated" areas, avoiding the more visited spots if the opportunity allowed. It's always that catch-22 of "do I photograph the same place many others have, or...?" Zion and the Grand Canyon would work well together, no question.

So why would anyone be embarrassed if you named someone? Sounds like you have a list...

Regards,
Marc
07-04-2009, 04:01 PM   #6
Damn Brit

QuoteOriginally posted by Marc Langille Quote
This one's more event/photo trip related, so I've moved it into the sub-forum of Gatherings, Events and Photo Trips.

Regards,
Marc
I was kind of on the fence on that one Marc.

Grant, I just wanted to say, I'd be up for one of these get togethers.
07-04-2009, 04:05 PM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Damn Brit Quote
I was kind of on the fence on that one Marc.

Grant, I just wanted to say, I'd be up for one of these get togethers.
I knew you were a closet fence sitter...

You've come out and made it public... congrats...

07-04-2009, 05:53 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Grant: some of those suggestions can be some fine areas to see. One thing of note and it's been covered by Gary and Lithos is those workshops can be teacher instead of student oriented, so I understand your concerns.

I personally (if visiting Yellowstone/Yosemite) would seriously consider seeing see the "less populated" areas, avoiding the more visited spots if the opportunity allowed. It's always that catch-22 of "do I photograph the same place many others have, or...?" Zion and the Grand Canyon would work well together, no question.

So why would anyone be embarrassed if you named someone? Sounds like you have a list...

Regards,
Marc

Hi Marc,
No... no list. But the name Marc Langille first came to mind. So very happy to see your response.
Actually at work now...will come back to this in a couple of hours.
Cheers
Grant
07-04-2009, 05:55 PM   #9
Damn Brit

QuoteOriginally posted by Mallee Boy Quote
Hi Marc,
No... no list. But the name Marc Langille first came to mind. So very happy to see your response.
Actually at work now...will come back to this in a couple of hours.
Cheers
Grant
Grant, you've played right into his hands.
07-04-2009, 05:58 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Grant, you've played right into his hands.
We are all doomed... what have I done??

07-04-2009, 06:12 PM   #11
Damn Brit

We are all doomed... what have I done??

No need to blow your own trumpet Marc, we all know you're THAT good.
07-04-2009, 07:04 PM   #12
Veteran Member

No need to blow your own trumpet Marc, we all know you're THAT good.
Gary, I sincerely appreciate the props and I did not mean to imply anything - it's just good natured fun in my last comment... I personally believe that I have much to learn in photography and I know it will be a never-ending journey. If I stop learning or don't believe there are always going to be better photographers than I, then something is horribly wrong with me or that situation.

Here is my confessional: I have kept a vast majority of my photographic failures... This serves to help me learn and to inspire me to improve my "keepers" success rate, which I hope is a good thing...

Regards,
Marc

Last edited by Marc Langille; 07-04-2009 at 09:40 PM. Reason: clarification
07-04-2009, 07:34 PM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster

Here is my confessional: I have kept a vast majority of my photographic failures... This serves to help me learn and to inspire me to improve my "keepers", which I hope is a good thing...

Regards,
Marc
Geez....I would need a bloody big hard drive for that!!!
07-04-2009, 07:58 PM   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Back on topic

OK, now that Marc has kindly stepped into this, it is a good time to get an idea of who would be interested in attending such a workshop.

Dont for one second think this will be cheap, depending on the number of days, number of instructors, location costs etc etc.... these workshops rarely come in much under $1000usd and I have seen them up around $3000usd. So we would need Marcs guidance and input on costs.

But before 'we' get to fixated on cost just consider this:
What is it worth to you to spend several days in some of the worlds greatest natural wonders shooting under the guidance of someone of Marc Langille's experience, expertise and talent??? Marc is experienced in most makes of camera, but particularly Pentax, so no " oh I cant help you, I dont know Pentax ". Instead you will have someone who knows and uses the product very successfully.....any doubts?, check out his website links at the bottom of his posts.

Are there 10 forum members who would like to participate? (subject to timing & details). (and it need not necessarily be limited to forum members).

I am interested, and would offer this to any other Australians who may want get involved: I would be happy to share hire car costs in the US. If you havent been to the US and visited any of these National Parks...then mate....you aint living.
Airfares are currently very cheap to the US and accommodation is a quite reasonable in the parks. If we ended up doing this in say Grand Canyon / Zion / Bryce Canyon then we would fly from LA to Las Vegas and drive from there, if it was Yosemite then we would fly to San Francisco.

I have been to all of these places and while they are good to see as a tourist, what this offers is to get away from the crowds and see something unique and different, and operating on your own as "Teddy the Tourist", that is nigh impossible. And thats priceless...well almost

If partners / spouses wanted to come along but not participate in the workshops that should not be a problem.

Anyone?

Cheers
Grant

DISCLAIMER: I do not know Marc Langille beyond his presence on Pentax Forums, I do not work for for Marc (I understand how some may interpret this). This invitation to participate is open to everyone.

End of solicitation.
07-04-2009, 09:09 PM   #15
Damn Brit

Me.
Depending on where, I could take one maybe two people depending on comfort versus equipment. I have four wheel drive.