Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-07-2009, 01:40 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Colorado

anyone here from Colorado?

I'll be attending a wedding there next week. I'll have friday morning and saturday all day for shooting. I'd like to nail down three very specific places to get to for the prime photo hours friday morning, saturday morning, saturday dusk (thinking red rocks for this time period because closer to airport than Rocky Mtn National Park) before I fly out saturday night at midnight.

Any suggestions would be much appreciated!

07-07-2009, 02:40 PM   #2
Veteran Member

I take it then that you'll be in the Denver area, and are primarily interested in landscape? Red Rocks is certainly a possibility, althoguh to be honest, it's not my favorite place, because it's just *so* stark. Sky, rock, and a little small brush - that's about it. Worth checking out just to see and get a few shots, but I'd be running out of thngs to shoot pretty quickly. Luckily, just a few miles up the same road (highway 74 between Morrison and Evergreen) is one of my favorite places - Lair o' the Bear. You're in a canyon with a river running through, with pine, aspen, and other kinds of trees, plenty of birds, plus there are often beaver dams, and wildflowers are probably still happening. Lots to see there. Red Rocks and Lair o' the Bear together would make a fine day of shooting - you could also visit the towns of Morrison and Evergreen themselves, which have their picturesque qualities too.

Some other parks to consider for landscape would include White Ranch, Golden Gate, and Roxborough (the latter two are state parks and have a self-serve fee station, so bring 1's). Being relatively close to town, these are all still the foothills, not really "mountains" per se. If you want more of the "mountain" experience without going to RMNP, you could just drive due west on I-70 and pull off at any exit that appeals to you - you're at the continental divide within an hour or so.

Could also be worth visiting some prairie if you haven't been out this way - just head east from Denver along any road you choose. That night be a good way to go Saturday evening, as it will have you closest to the airport.
07-08-2009, 05:59 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
i will be staying at Shelly's Cottages an hour northwest of Denver. Just remembered this morning that I never did specify where i was actually staying

Thanks for the tips...I just hope I don't get overwhelmed
07-08-2009, 07:52 AM   #4
Veteran Member

OK, I looked that up - it's in Lyons. Meaning you're actually much closer to RMNP than I thought. In which case, visiting there is practically a no-brainer. Also might as well check out Boulder and the surrounding area, including perhaps a trip up to Nederland.

Last edited by Marc Sabatella; 07-08-2009 at 09:31 AM.
07-08-2009, 07:56 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Trail Ridge road has come up as a suggestion from the bride to be. RMNP is definitely my first destination.
07-08-2009, 08:10 AM   #6
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by DanLoc78 Quote
Trail Ridge road has come up as a suggestion from the bride to be. RMNP is definitely my first destination.
And a mighty fine destination it is... Make sure you don't rush thru the trip up there from Lyons, the drive upwards thru any of the canyons offers some wonderful opportunities. As does the town of Estes Park - the Stanley Hotel and surroundings, Lake Estes, the Thompson River...

Enjoy the trip!

Jim