Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-06-2009, 08:24 PM   #31
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Just Show Up?

So I assume if we know about the road tour that's good enough to just show up? No reservations needed, etc.

I'm anxious to see the gear. (Canikon free and open-minded.....)

08-06-2009, 09:55 PM   #32
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
K7 drawing winner, Redondo Beach

Redondo Beach, California

I am one happy Pentax customer. I won the K7 drawing.
My jaw dropped when I heard my name called.

This is going to be a very nice upgrade for me from the K10.
K7 will be shipped tomorrow I'm told.

Thank you, thank you, thank you PENTAX!

Eric
08-07-2009, 10:09 AM   #33
Kai

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Congrats! I had to leave earlier yesterday. It was a nice presentation from Mark and John. I enjoyed meeting Ned as well as everyone.
08-07-2009, 10:15 AM   #34
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by marigold Quote
Redondo Beach, California

Eric

Welcome here and LUCKY YOU!!!! Congrats

08-08-2009, 07:43 PM   #35

QuoteOriginally posted by Biff Quote
So I assume if we know about the road tour that's good enough to just show up? No reservations needed, etc.

I'm anxious to see the gear. (Canikon free and open-minded.....)
I was wondering this as well. Do we need to RSVP or anything like that?
08-08-2009, 08:02 PM   #36
pbo
Veteran Member

QuoteQuote:

Eric
Lol dude, we saw your big grin today on the presentation congrats, by the way!

QuoteQuote:
I was wondering this as well. Do we need to RSVP or anything like that?
You just get there, no rsvp.

Last edited by pbo; 08-08-2009 at 08:07 PM.
08-08-2009, 08:58 PM   #37
Veteran Member

Hmmm, nothing in the middle of the US? Houston and Chicago are pretty large markets.

08-10-2009, 07:54 PM   #38
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Congrats, Eric! How are you enjoying that K-7? I agree that the presentation was interesting, I learned several new things that you can do with the K-7. And I'm not so sure my other half is glad we went down to Redondo - it's going to cost a lot more than we had been talking about. I just fell in love with the quality of the DA*300 and he fell in love with the DA 10-17 (I already wanted it).
08-12-2009, 08:47 AM   #39
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Thank you.

I wish I had the K-7 in hand. I did send an email to the marketing coordinator
confirming my contact info. No word from Pentax yet. I'm sure they're
just busy with the other tour stops.

In the mean time I need to study the operator's manual to familiarize myself with
the menus and features.

Eric
08-14-2009, 10:38 AM   #40
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

One would think a road trip from NYC to FL would have warranted a mandatory pit stop in DC but guess not...

Is it the dems?
08-16-2009, 07:35 PM   #41

Just got back from the Miami stop. Didn't win the camera, but had a great time talking with Kerrick James and Pat Ryan.

The K7 is amazing, I had a lot of fun trying it out. Just gotta save up for it now.
08-16-2009, 08:58 PM   #42

How many people had shown up to that stop? NYC was surprisingly low. Very nice people at Pentax. Lots of lenses to play with. I wish they sold the clear SLR as an optional item hehe.

BTW I jumped on an the K20D after much thought today. I wasn't going to be needing most of the features as I'm still learning and I think my money is better spent on glass and accessories.
08-16-2009, 10:57 PM   #43
pbo
Veteran Member

QuoteQuote:
NYC was surprisingly low.
Hm... I thought they made 4 presentations in two days because NYC was supposed to bring a lotta people?
08-17-2009, 03:31 AM   #44

There were about 20 or so people at the Miami stop. Seemed to be a pretty good turnout.
08-17-2009, 02:07 PM   #45

QuoteOriginally posted by pbo Quote
Hm... I thought they made 4 presentations in two days because NYC was supposed to bring a lotta people?
The Good:
It's was nice and intimate. I got a good chance to play with all their really good lenses.. as opposed to the one B&H stuck on theirs that's tethered to an antitheft cable. Everyone was very good at answering the questions along the way. As far as odds of winning? They were REALLY REALLY good.

The Bad:
Yeah I would have to agree more stops spread along the route. More publicity about the whole event. I know other people that showed up to the other ones and there were as few as 10 people at one of them. 20 at some but no more than that. Let's say there were in fact 20 at each of the 15 sessions in various cities. That comes out to about 300 attendees giving out 15 K7 cameras (lets just say it's costing them $1000) = $15,000 equipment + cost of staff/photo pros + renting the exhibit space + hotel rooms.. I'm going to guess this road show cost them no less than $40-50k (and to reach 300 people?). The schwag was pretty cheezy like lens wipes and pens. I might've been swayed to getting the K7 had there been a $$ off coupon incentive for attending. If your bread an butter is your pentax gear then its a no brainer. The K7 is the way to go. But due to tighter budget crunching I ended up getting the cheaper K20D because there was nothing I as an amateur need from the camera to justify 2x the cost. Maybe one day in the future when the price dips well under $1000.

I'm sorry but I'm used to attending CES type shows where there are thousands of people. These were mostly all Pentaxians.. so it's kinda preaching to the choir. Hey all is not lost.. we have 15 new K7 owners that will be preaching the Pentax gospel.