Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-05-2009, 08:08 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Did anyone go to Golden Pentax K-7 Event yesterday?

I kinda expected to see gleeful posts from a dozen people here who went for a touchy~feely and fondle of the K-7 last night. If theres a thread, please point me to it?

I skipped it. From what I read K-7 is too small for my big hands and back when there was a local pentax rep to chatchat with I played with numerous modern lenses, that no one stocks in town, including at that point the unissued 60-250mm. My hands on with Pentax reps K20D did please me so I added one last November, months after handling the first and only one I ever touched. So other than the K-7 hands on I couldn't see why I needed to drop $40 on round trip gas plus 5 hours for a hands on with a slide show and maybe a free K-7 brochure or two. I never win anything so I was certain of no K-7 win for me, unless only one person went? Nah, my luck I'd lose a raffle consisting of just two entries ;^(

But I assume it was a great time for those who wanted to be there, RIGHT?

I only had a couple questions to ask had I gone on the journey to Golden:

1)Any official word on K-7 vertical green line syndrome sensor defect?
2)Any world on the mothballed 1.4x SDM teleconverter pulled from the roadmap?

Last edited by Samsungian; 08-05-2009 at 08:16 AM.
08-05-2009, 10:30 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I went. We all fit in the conference room, so there were maybe 30 people there, about 6 Pentax employees including Ned Bunnell and John Carlson. They had several K-7 cameras and lenses to handle. I know I saw the 16-50, 50-135, 60-250, 21, 55, 300 and 50-200 WR, plus the new battery grip, the case designed for Limiteds, the AF540FGZ and certainly stuff I missed. They also had a K-7 in clear plastic, one with the kit lens cut in half and a sensor in its SR mount. John Carlson gave a presentation of the K-7 features with the K-7 connected to a projector. (I think he discovered that Live View disables the video output.) Free stuff included pens, LBA stickers, potato chips, soda and taffy. Someone named Rob Peterson won the K-7 raffle and we all were extremely jealous. (Sorry about possibly misspellling Rob's or other names here.) Some famous names from here and dpreview's forum were there.

I didn't hear any questions along the lines of yours, though possibly they were asked directly to Ned or John and I missed it.

The camera is very impressive in person. All I've held before is a number of film cameras and my DS. I find the K1000 too big, the M series just about right, the MX too small, the SF series way too big and the DS very good. The K-7 felt much like the DS. I don't know how you can read this and determine how it'll work for you, but there it is.

The rest of my impressions... well, remember in the early 90s, when George H.W. Bush went to a supermarket and was completely amazed by the UPC scanner? My camera is 5 years old, so hand me anything new and I am easily impressed. Those who have had recent cameras might not be as wowed as me. Control design was good enough to figure out basic stuff in a few minutes. Even the top LCD was impressive. I liked the ability to use the Info screen to quickly change maybe 15-20 settings on one screen. I had about 5 minutes with the camera. No green lines were evident. I didn't test the DA*55mm f1.4 for decentering.

I went because it was probably my best chance to see the camera and lenses in person. I don't expect to buy anything for a while, because I like my old stuff and a K-7 would require a serious investment - spare battery, P-TTL flash, maybe a focus screen - just to get a similar kit.
08-05-2009, 11:17 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Sweet

Thank You, Sounds like a great time was had by all.

I'm gauging my belief that K-7 is too small for me on others who own K20D and say K-7 is too small for them. Maybe if I cut my Pinky off it'll fit me better? I got big hands so I'm guessing K-7 is too small for me. No biggie everything I own works fine so I'm satisfied with status quo.

QuoteOriginally posted by Just1MoreDave Quote
I went. We all fit in the conference room, so there were maybe 30 people there, about 6 Pentax employees including Ned Bunnell and John Carlson. They had several K-7 cameras and lenses to handle. I know I saw the 16-50, 50-135, 60-250, 21, 55, 300 and 50-200 WR, plus the new battery grip, the case designed for Limiteds, the AF540FGZ and certainly stuff I missed. They also had a K-7 in clear plastic, one with the kit lens cut in half and a sensor in its SR mount. John Carlson gave a presentation of the K-7 features with the K-7 connected to a projector. (I think he discovered that Live View disables the video output.) Free stuff included pens, LBA stickers, potato chips, soda and taffy. Someone named Rob Peterson won the K-7 raffle and we all were extremely jealous. (Sorry about possibly misspellling Rob's or other names here.) Some famous names from here and dpreview's forum were there.

I didn't hear any questions along the lines of yours, though possibly they were asked directly to Ned or John and I missed it.

The camera is very impressive in person. All I've held before is a number of film cameras and my DS. I find the K1000 too big, the M series just about right, the MX too small, the SF series way too big and the DS very good. The K-7 felt much like the DS. I don't know how you can read this and determine how it'll work for you, but there it is.

The rest of my impressions... well, remember in the early 90s, when George H.W. Bush went to a supermarket and was completely amazed by the UPC scanner? My camera is 5 years old, so hand me anything new and I am easily impressed. Those who have had recent cameras might not be as wowed as me. Control design was good enough to figure out basic stuff in a few minutes. Even the top LCD was impressive. I liked the ability to use the Info screen to quickly change maybe 15-20 settings on one screen. I had about 5 minutes with the camera. No green lines were evident. I didn't test the DA*55mm f1.4 for decentering.

I went because it was probably my best chance to see the camera and lenses in person. I don't expect to buy anything for a while, because I like my old stuff and a K-7 would require a serious investment - spare battery, P-TTL flash, maybe a focus screen - just to get a similar kit.
08-05-2009, 12:22 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I was there too. Dave's summary (and nice meeting you, BTW - sorry that didn't happen until we were on our way out, though!) is right on. I think I saw the winner's name on his name badge spelled Robb, FWIW.

I am glad I went, but I live just minutes away. I doubt I'd have considered it worth a five hour drive - no new info, not that I was expecting any. Then again, while I share the ordinary fascination with new Pentax stuff, I am not actually interested in the K-7 at this time, simply because I'm happy with what I have. Only reason I can see for me to upgrade would be for video, and there are cheaper ways of doing that. Plus I know someone else who has a K-7 so I have already had the opportunity to handle one. On the other hand, if I were agonizing over the possibility and needed the chance to hold one, try it with different lenses, talk about it with others, or otherwise just needed an extra push, this even could easily have been it. So I definitely recommend the experience for anyone with even an passing interest in the K-7 who has not had the chance to handle one.

Oh - Joe and Mary Farace of Shutterbug (and other) fame were there too; nice folks.

BTW, I find the K20D too big, so take my comment with a grain of salt - we obviously have different hands or different tastes - but my impression is that the K-7 with a battery grip would satisfy anyone afraid of it being too small. Without grip, it actually feels in the hand quite a lot like my K200D except with more a dramatically contoured grip, so I think it should work fine as is for those prefering smaller cameras. The depth of the grip is actually rather K20D like - which is to say, it feels shallower than the K200D. With battery grip to extend the size vertically, I can't really see how a K20D user would find it too small. But again, everyone's hands and tastes are different.

08-05-2009, 12:27 PM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Thanks for the write-up. Did they also have the DA*200 there, as well as the DA*300? I'm really interested in either that one or possibly the DA*60-250 at some point, but really should replace my old kit lens first (so would be interested in going to see the 16-50 in any case).
08-05-2009, 01:14 PM   #6
Veteran Member

I was there. Sorry not to meet you mark, I figured you owuld be, and meant to try and meet you, but got overwhelmed by a surrounding of k-7's and DA* glass.

I think it was a pretty fun event, and cool to see other people interested in Pentax. Contrary to what people seem tothink about the handlding and size, I thought it was amazing. I'm 6'7, have very big hands, and until yesterday, thought the K20d with a grip was the right size for me. I don't even like the feel of a K20 without the grip.

At first feel, the K-7 with grip felt way too small, but I got to take one outside for some extended shooting, and after about 5 minutes it just felt so good. Now my gripped K20d feels like a brick. I was shooting it with the 60-250 and 50-135, and it handles both of those lenses very well. I'm sure it only gets better as the lenses get smaller. And the shutter is so, smooth, quiet, fast and responsive. I never thought the K20d had any shutter lag, but after shooting with a K-7 for a bit, it now feels a bit sluggish.

It was also my first time geting to handle a 60-250, 200, and 300. Man are they sweet. I now must have a 60-250. Thanks alot, Pentax. It was hard to get a feel for the two primes seeing as how we were inside a reasonably dark room that was only 30 feet across. Not exactly the place were a 300mm F/4 really shines. But I got to take the 60-250 outside for some longer range shooting. It's soooo nice. And the K-7 handled it like a champ. Then when I switched out to the 50-135, it felt like a featherweight. The handling and balance was so good, I felt like I could do cartwheels with it. Except, I can't do cartwheels. I would so much rather have that in my hands than a gripped 5dmkII with a 70-200L.

All in all, it was really cool, and I'm glad I went. Thanks to Pentax for putting it on, and I'm sure they'll make their money back with all the new things I now must have.
08-05-2009, 02:14 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Hoist by your own petard

I'm amazed at your not even trying it out to see for yourself. Now you'll never know. You are of course welcome to fail from your own attitude... btw, if you are that deeply locked-in, your mind set is likely to prove you right!

QuoteOriginally posted by Samsungian Quote
I skipped it. From what I read K-7 is too small for my big hands and back when there was a local pentax rep to chatchat with I played with numerous modern lenses, that no one stocks in town, including at that point the unissued 60-250mm.

1)Any official word on K-7 vertical green line syndrome sensor defect?
2)Any world on the mothballed 1.4x SDM teleconverter pulled from the roadmap?
Good questions... I'd like to know as well.

08-05-2009, 03:12 PM   #8
Veteran Member

There was no official word on anything not already officially announced. Ie, it was confirmed that the K-7 does exist, that it has movie mode, etc :-). Perhaps some folks tried asking John or Ned or one of the other Pentax folks there some questions about the future, but I assumed they wouldn't be willing/able to say anything else we don't already know.

As for lenses to try, it appeared to me there was one of almost every DA lens with the exception of the original and "L" kit lenses - I only saw the WR versions, which were very nice. I didn't make a complete list, but thinking in my mind about what I *don't* remember seeing, the only DA lenses I didn't notice were the DA35, DA12-24, DA55-300, and DA* 300 (all of which I've seen before). Actually, I'm not sure about the DA16-45 either. I'm guessing they were actually all there but other people were playing with them any time I looked over the collection. But there definitely were:

DA 14, 15, 21, 40, 70
DA* 55, 200
DA 10-17, 17-70, 18-55 WR, 50-200 WR
DA* 16-50, 50-135, 60-250

The 50-135 is even heavier than I remember, and the 60-250 bigger and heavier still. It only took moments to dissuade from any further lustful thoughts regarding these. Although actually, I could see myself perhaps finding a place for the 16-50 if I weren't turning into both a prime snob and a kit lens whore.
08-05-2009, 03:45 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Hi solar1

I could order K-7 up but why pay full price? I've been buying Pentax cameras new since ZX-L film body so I am well aware how the camera price game works.

Grip and K-7 is what $1530 plus second battery is what $1600? No Thanks. Now in April 2010 when K-7 sells for $700 then the pkg would be $1,000. Thats intersting. Who knows maybe I'll find a K-7 on display locally to touch and feel and consider in next 7 months. Anyways, I like grips that add frames per second, I do not think K-7 grips adds fps. Neither do Canon. D700 grip adds frames per second and that's the one and only grip I own. Whats the point of adding a tall grip to improve ergonomics on a smaller design camera?

In the old days, pre hoya I'd visit with pentax reps twice a year. Now with new improved pentax I guess I'll pass and save the gas. Anyways, I already got me a couple LBA window stickers. I've handled every modern pentax lens except for 14mm DA and 31mm LTD. Odd those two never make it out to demo events.

Still an official event, at the home base of Pentax USA drew 30 people. Thats alot of interest. When Pentax Rep came to local demo days where all camera reps show up with gear inhand there's easily well over 2,000 people each day. That hands on made me later buy K20D, 5D, D700 and all the lenses I bought new since 2008. Hands on demo is effective, well for me it has been. Everyone should go if they've never been.

Anyways the $600 I will save by waiting till April 2010 to further consider K-7 at $700 instead of $1300 launch has been spent, late last week infact. I got me a new wimberley gimbal arriving tomorrow:

Wimberley Professional Photo Gear - The Wimberley Head

I could say if I buy a K-7 in April 2010 for about half off then I got my $600 Wimberley for free.

QuoteOriginally posted by solar1 Quote
I'm amazed at your not even trying it out to see for yourself. Now you'll never know. You are of course welcome to fail from your own attitude... btw, if you are that deeply locked-in, your mind set is likely to prove you right!

Good questions... I'd like to know as well.
08-05-2009, 06:23 PM   #10
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Samsungian Quote
I could order K-7 up but why pay full price? I've been buying Pentax cameras new since ZX-L film body so I am well aware how the camera price game works.

Grip and K-7 is what $1530 plus second battery is what $1600? No Thanks. Now in April 2010 when K-7 sells for $700 then the pkg would be $1,000. Thats intersting. Who knows maybe I'll find a K-7 on display locally to touch and feel and consider in next 7 months. Anyways, I like grips that add frames per second, I do not think K-7 grips adds fps. Neither do Canon. D700 grip adds frames per second and that's the one and only grip I own. Whats the point of adding a tall grip to improve ergonomics on a smaller design camera?

In the old days, pre hoya I'd visit with pentax reps twice a year. Now with new improved pentax I guess I'll pass and save the gas. Anyways, I already got me a couple LBA window stickers. I've handled every modern pentax lens except for 14mm DA and 31mm LTD. Odd those two never make it out to demo events.

Still an official event, at the home base of Pentax USA drew 30 people. Thats alot of interest. When Pentax Rep came to local demo days where all camera reps show up with gear inhand there's easily well over 2,000 people each day. That hands on made me later buy K20D, 5D, D700 and all the lenses I bought new since 2008. Hands on demo is effective, well for me it has been. Everyone should go if they've never been.

Anyways the $600 I will save by waiting till April 2010 to further consider K-7 at $700 instead of $1300 launch has been spent, late last week infact. I got me a new wimberley gimbal arriving tomorrow:

Wimberley Professional Photo Gear - The Wimberley Head

I could say if I buy a K-7 in April 2010 for about half off then I got my $600 Wimberley for free.
Depending on distance of course, I would have gone just for a chance in the drawing. 1 in 30 is not too bad as far as odds in a raffle go!

Steve
08-05-2009, 08:20 PM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Marc Sabatella Quote
I was there too. Dave's summary (and nice meeting you, BTW - sorry that didn't happen until we were on our way out, though!) is right on. I think I saw the winner's name on his name badge spelled Robb, FWIW.
I just had that feeling that I was botching his name. He's probably out doing super-cool things with his new camera today, though. And I should have said something sooner, but I just suck at that. (Maybe I would have been recognized from my avatar if I fell off something.)

Advice to other Road Trip attendees: don't take the seat right in front of the demo camera. Marc had a lot of screen time. Also, a lot of the stuff is cool. Don't be surprised if you leave there seriously considering spending $5000, even if you went there just to look.
08-06-2009, 01:45 PM   #12

QuoteOriginally posted by GeneralBenson Quote
I was there. Sorry not to meet you mark, I figured you owuld be, and meant to try and meet you, but got overwhelmed by a surrounding of k-7's and DA* glass.

I think it was a pretty fun event, and cool to see other people interested in Pentax. Contrary to what people seem tothink about the handlding and size, I thought it was amazing. I'm 6'7, have very big hands, and until yesterday, thought the K20d with a grip was the right size for me. I don't even like the feel of a K20 without the grip.

At first feel, the K-7 with grip felt way too small, but I got to take one outside for some extended shooting, and after about 5 minutes it just felt so good. Now my gripped K20d feels like a brick. I was shooting it with the 60-250 and 50-135, and it handles both of those lenses very well. I'm sure it only gets better as the lenses get smaller. And the shutter is so, smooth, quiet, fast and responsive. I never thought the K20d had any shutter lag, but after shooting with a K-7 for a bit, it now feels a bit sluggish.

It was also my first time geting to handle a 60-250, 200, and 300. Man are they sweet. I now must have a 60-250. Thanks alot, Pentax. It was hard to get a feel for the two primes seeing as how we were inside a reasonably dark room that was only 30 feet across. Not exactly the place were a 300mm F/4 really shines. But I got to take the 60-250 outside for some longer range shooting. It's soooo nice. And the K-7 handled it like a champ. Then when I switched out to the 50-135, it felt like a featherweight. The handling and balance was so good, I felt like I could do cartwheels with it. Except, I can't do cartwheels. I would so much rather have that in my hands than a gripped 5dmkII with a 70-200L.

All in all, it was really cool, and I'm glad I went. Thanks to Pentax for putting it on, and I'm sure they'll make their money back with all the new things I now must have.
What a fun event. But any time talking about photography and having lots of new gear to play with is a good thing! The Pentax crew was very friendly and I enjoyed talking with John about several optics and electronics concepts related to the K7 and K20D.

I was also outside checking out the 60-250 and 50-135 lenses with my K20D. The 60-250 is definitely bigger/bulkier, but feels very solidly built with a nice snug feel to the zoom ring as opposed to the very loose feel of the zoom on the 50-135 . The 250 tele reach is so much better and useful for me and it's limiting f/4 aperture was not even a factor when viewing thru the viewfinder. It worked smoothly & quietly on my K20D and although it's a heavier setup w/ grip on K20D, they felt well balanced and I stopped noticing all the weight and size while I was concentrating on shooting some kayaks in the creek running next to the Pentax building. It's definitely on my wish list.

I wish there would have been more time, as I would have also tried out the 10-17 fisheye and 35 macro. Oh well, maybe next time, if they host another event nearby in the future.