Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-05-2009, 07:54 PM   #1
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Any Japanese members or members in Japan?

Hi All,

I'm going to Japan in January and I'd like to talk to anyone in Japan who might be able to suggest stores to check for Pentax gear (new and 2nd hand) in Tokyo. I'm already familiar with Yodobashi Camera (oops) but would be interested to know about others, or whether there's websites selling second hand gear in Japan I should check.

Rob

Last edited by RobG; 12-05-2009 at 10:17 PM. Reason: Error
12-05-2009, 09:48 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Check out Fujiya Camera in Nakano-ku, Tokyo. They don't have tons of stuff, but what they do, they have good stuff at reasonable prices.

Also "Ogikubo no Sakuraya" (not to be confused with the giant chain camera/electronics department store Sakuraya) has good stuff, too. I purchased my K-7 there (one of the first shops in the world to stock it. I actually got my copy the evening before the launch date :-)
12-05-2009, 10:20 PM   #3
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thanks! Oops - I wrote Kinokunia instead of Yodobashi. Kinokunia is a bookstore chain!
I'm considering a K7 but I'll buy it in Australia so the warranty is valid. In Japan I'm more interested in lenses and accessories.
12-05-2009, 10:28 PM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
When are you going to japan?I have a shopping list if you have deep bags

cheers

12-14-2009, 05:26 AM   #5
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by cupic Quote
When are you going to japan?I have a shopping list if you have deep bags cheers
At the end of December. If you happen to live in Canberra or Sydney perhaps..
12-14-2009, 05:58 AM   #6
Veteran Member

[yt]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gEmJ-VWPDM4[/yt]
12-15-2009, 09:40 PM   #7

QuoteOriginally posted by RawheaD Quote
Check out Fujiya Camera in Nakano-ku, Tokyo. They don't have tons of stuff, but what they do, they have good stuff at reasonable prices.
Agreed. I got a 2nd hand FA43 there for cheap.

I stumbled into a small store in the back lanes of Akihabara that carried a whole bunch of old lenses and film bodies. Stuff was piled from floor to ceiling with some vague categorization. Have fun rummaging through all that.

Click for larger size

It's on the second floor and is closed on Monday
12-17-2009, 05:51 AM   #8
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Turning Japanese - now there's a song that winds the clock back!

12-17-2009, 05:51 AM   #9
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thanks Baracus!
12-18-2009, 11:07 PM   #10
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Only 8 days until I leave for Japan!
12-19-2009, 01:28 AM   #11

QuoteOriginally posted by RobG Quote
Hi All,

I'm going to Japan in January and I'd like to talk to anyone in Japan who might be able to suggest stores to check for Pentax gear (new and 2nd hand) in Tokyo. I'm already familiar with Yodobashi Camera (oops) but would be interested to know about others, or whether there's websites selling second hand gear in Japan I should check.

Rob
Hi Rob

I live in Japan. There are plenty of nice places for buying Pentax stuff, actually Japanese people are mostly Canon or Nikon so youŽll find almost everything just for you, second hand places are awsome, things like new, perfectly well treated and good prices. IŽd call it Pentax paradise.

Where are you going to? Tokio and Osaka are the best places to get gear, Yodobashi is very good to get new latest stuff.
Be prepared to deal with non english speaking people but they are extremely nice to you.
A good place in Tokio.- [url=http://www.mapcamera.com
Also look for stores named "HARD OFF" any kind of 2nd hnd things, they always have cameras, lenses and gear.
If need any help please contact.
Enjoy the trip.
12-19-2009, 06:25 AM   #12
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by emisor73 Quote
I live in Japan.
Sugoi!
QuoteQuote:
There are plenty of nice places for buying Pentax stuff, actually Japanese people are mostly Canon or Nikon so youŽll find almost everything just for you, second hand places are awsome, things like new, perfectly well treated and good prices. IŽd call it Pentax paradise.
If only I had more time to scout second hand stores.
QuoteQuote:
Where are you going to? Tokio and Osaka are the best places to get gear, Yodobashi is very good to get new latest stuff.
I'll be in Tokyo the longest, and I'll be staying in Shinjuku precisely because there's a big Yodobashi store there as well as others. I won't be visiting Osaka on this trip, so I'll be looking for gear in Tokyo, probably mainly Shinjuku and Akiba.
QuoteQuote:
Be prepared to deal with non english speaking people but they are extremely nice to you.
Hopefully I'll be able to get by, but I wish I spoke more nihongo. In most stores the key phrase is "Ikura desu ka?"
QuoteQuote:
A good place in Tokio.- mapcamera
Thanks! It also shows Yodobashi on their location diagram. I think a friend took me to mapcamera in 2002 as well as Yodobashi, but Yodobashi was the name that stuck in my memory.
QuoteQuote:
Also look for stores named "HARD OFF" any kind of 2nd hnd things, they always have cameras, lenses and gear.
Yes, I went into one in Choshi in 2002. The jingle had me laughing so much I had to leave. I'm still trying to figure out what "hard off" is supposed to mean! I'll have to find out if there are any in Shinjuku or Akiba.
QuoteQuote:
If need any help please contact. Enjoy the trip.
Thanks! It will be great to be a tourist in Japan. I was working before, so I didn't get to explore as much as I wanted to.

Rob
12-22-2009, 02:15 AM   #13

Ha ha, every body wants to know what that means.
Enjoy Japan.
12-26-2009, 11:11 PM   #14

Photos: Albums
From Rob's post in my introductions thread:
QuoteOriginally posted by RobG Quote
What are the lenses that you got, Jesse? If the 100mm lens is a good one, in good condition, you probably got a good deal. Nice to know that there's some worthwhile 2nd hand gear around - did you buy the camera in Yokohama or Tokyo? Mind if I ask what the store was? I'm flying to Tokyo on Sunday, you see.

Rob
It was in Yokohama that I got the camera at a chain store called Champ Camera. I actually went to the same store at a different location at first and they told me that only one of their stores in my area sells used gear. Luckily it wasn't far so I zipped over (Tama-plaza) and there was an okay selection, and unlike new gear used prices have some haggling room. If you are right in the middle of Tokyo there are probably way more options, although I don't know where the 'camera district' is. Ask around while you are here and of course try the back streets of Akihabara. Try walking up to anyone (especially a police officer should work) and saying 'chu-ko caw-meh-ra?'

BTW you are coming at the beginning of the New Year's holiday, so expect the smaller shops to be closed.
01-16-2010, 09:27 PM   #15
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by JesseDavis Quote
If you are right in the middle of Tokyo there are probably way more options, although I don't know where the 'camera district' is. Ask around while you are here and of course try the back streets of Akihabara. Try walking up to anyone (especially a police officer should work) and saying 'chu-ko caw-meh-ra?' BTW you are coming at the beginning of the New Year's holiday, so expect the smaller shops to be closed.
I don't know what happened to my reply. I ended up buying a lens from Map Camera because they had a cheaper price than Yodobashi and sold it to me duty free as well. I saved about 8000 yen over the Yodobashi price. Map Camera in Shinjuku have two stores; one is devoted to film cameras and lenses while the other has a floor for Pentax DSLRs and lenses. I also bought some cheap gear from Bic Camera such as lens caps and batteries.

The Pentax forum in Shinjuku near the government office towers is worht a visit to try the latest gear and best lenses without being hassled by sales people. They also have a repair counter.

PENTAX?FORUM????????????????????????????

Thanks again to everyone who responded!

Rob