Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-07-2009, 01:54 PM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
How to approach Disneyworld

I'll be there for a few days with wife and 9 year-old daughter a bit before Xmas. Haven't been there before.

Any advice on making photos?

12-07-2009, 02:22 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Just try not to look like a Pap. I got harassed by Security on multiple occasions. If you take a tele lens (and you should), don't walk around with it zoomed out. I was there for a work function the first three days and being by myself defintely made me a target. When my wife joined me for the tail end of the trip I only got bothered once.

There's a lot going on there. A pair of zooms that cover 18-300mm did really well for me.

If you want to photograph the fireworks, you'll need to camp out early. All the best spots get taken quickly.

There's also a nightly laser show that's pretty cool but I lacked the photography prowess to snag any images worth sharing.

IIRC there are even some websites dedicated to photography at Disney\land\world - you might try to check them out.
12-07-2009, 05:28 PM   #3
Veteran Member

You will want lenses to cover wide angle and telephoto. A neat shot is TinkerBell who flies from the castle to Tomorrow Land on a cable high above the crowd. You should put yourself on the bridge into Tomorrow Land for that shot (and get there early) before the fireworks.
12-08-2009, 11:49 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Think zooms , think travel light and definitely think dinner at Charlies Steak House(the one on Orange Blossum trail is a little older a lot cooler and usually a little less crowded than the one on Universal).

12-08-2009, 02:14 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
stand behind your 9 year old and photograph what she looks at.

seriously, take a buhch of lenses or a couple of zooms and go from perhaps 10mm to 100mm looking at everything your 9 year old looks at both close up and wide angle.

after all, it was designed to be viewed by children, why not try to duplicate that.
12-08-2009, 08:08 PM   #6
graphicgr8s

QuoteOriginally posted by seacapt Quote
Think zooms , think travel light and definitely think dinner at Charlies Steak House(the one on Orange Blossom trail is a little older a lot cooler and usually a little less crowded than the one on Universal).
Last time I was at Charlies the food was ok the prices real high.
12-08-2009, 09:28 PM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by graphicgr8s Quote
Last time I was at Charlies the food was ok the prices real high.
That bums me out. I used to spend a couple weeks in Orlando on business every year and allways looked forward to a meal at Charlies. It was one of the best parts of the whole trip. Prices were allways high but there was something special about prime grade beef cooked over citrus wood. Really hate to think it went down hill in the past few years.Sorry if I gave a bad suggestion.

12-09-2009, 12:05 AM   #8

For the Magic Kingdom fireworks, stand centered on Main Street by Casey's Corner. Best viewing area.

If your daughter's into it, forget posing her with characters. Photograph the interaction. When I worked at WDW it drove me crazy when Photopass photogs would only shoot posed pictures instead of capturing the moments.