Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-07-2010, 01:49 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Places to go in Halifax?

I have to fly out to Halifax for a couple of weeks and while I won't have a ton of time, I'm going to try to take a few pics while I am there. Any suggestions on where to go that might be interesting?

I don't necessarily want to go to the tourist spots, but could if it is worth it. I'd be looking for either some landscape/nature or somewhere with a bit of history or quirkiness that could make for interesting pics like a rail yard, old architecture, something rundown (but not a slum).

I'll be right downtown and won't have a car so it would either need to be close, or would need to be accessible by public transit....

Cheers,
Steve

01-07-2010, 02:05 PM   #2
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by smc Quote
I have to fly out to Halifax for a couple of weeks and while I won't have a ton of time, I'm going to try to take a few pics while I am there. Any suggestions on where to go that might be interesting?

I don't necessarily want to go to the tourist spots, but could if it is worth it. I'd be looking for either some landscape/nature or somewhere with a bit of history or quirkiness that could make for interesting pics like a rail yard, old architecture, something rundown (but not a slum).

I'll be right downtown and won't have a car so it would either need to be close, or would need to be accessible by public transit....

Cheers,
Steve
I don't know where you are in BC, but if you are in a coastal area it might explain why you are asking about buildings, railroads and the like when my first thought when I saw the thread was "why would anybody going to any place with a sea port or harbor have to ask where to go to take pictures?"
01-07-2010, 02:19 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Parallax Quote
I don't know where you are in BC, but if you are in a coastal area it might explain why you are asking about buildings, railroads and the like when my first thought when I saw the thread was "why would anybody going to any place with a sea port or harbor have to ask where to go to take pictures?"
That's a good point....I'm in Victoria...which is a port and the home of Canada's Pacific naval fleet. The east coast will be different than the west so I should take advantage of it while I am there.....

In case anyone is interested....here is what it looks like here in Victoria...

Last edited by SteveM; 01-07-2010 at 02:25 PM.
01-07-2010, 02:26 PM   #4
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

I grew up (OK, spent my first 18 years ) in the San Francisco Bay area. The ocean and bay are two of the very few things I miss about it, but I REALLY miss that.
French bread is one of the others.

01-07-2010, 02:39 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I love the San Francisco area....I've had to go to the city and to Palo Alto for work a few times. Used to live in Connecticut but I wasn't around the waterfront much....

So there is the waterfront...anyone with any other ideas??
01-07-2010, 02:55 PM   #6
Inactive Account

Gosh, Victoria, Vancouver Island and Tofino etc are such neat places. Ditto the City of Vancouver across the bay and Whistler. You will be hard pressed to top that country and urban scenery anywhere. The ferry systems are super and Canadians are the best. That's my next trip, it's hard to stay away.

Anyone looking for accomodations in the harbor area Victoria, this spot was great twice:Victoria BC Hotel - Swans Suite Hotel

Sorry for the thread drift SMC, you got me all excited about summer.

Back to Halifax
01-07-2010, 03:02 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
...thanks Phil. The only thing you forgot to mention is the rain!....Southern California has it's benefits!

01-07-2010, 03:25 PM   #8
Inactive Account

LOL! We have gotten a little lately and could use a lot more. The weather today is great football weather (70s F.) for the BCS playoffs tonight at the Rose Bowl. I'm about 20 miles away from that commotion. But do send any extra rain down our way skipping SeaTac and Portland of course. Some restroom signs in Palm Springs say please flush, LA needs the water. We are still in our usual medium drought conditions.

The rain makes it all green and fresh and it's a great time to throw a log on, pour a nice glass and snuggle with your squeeze. Tofino here I come.

Regarding Halifax, I spend a few days in Bar Harbor Me. close to the Halifax ferry. It's a pretty good run up to Halfax but the sea coast around there was very nice, very rugged with a lot of picture opportunities. I had no time to make that ferry run. This time of year it's going to be cold for sure. Just differant picture opportunties.

Safe trip.
01-07-2010, 05:22 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

PM Peter Zack regarding Halifax--I'll be he'd have some good suggestions.
01-07-2010, 09:24 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by dadipentak Quote
PM Peter Zack regarding Halifax--I'll be he'd have some good suggestions.
I didn't know that....thanks, I'll send him a note....