Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-11-2010, 09:44 AM   #1

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Gear advice for Alaska trip

I am preparing in advance for a week long photo trip to alaska in May. I will be taking my new K7 as my main camera with a Nikon as a back-up. I am gathering up plenty of memory cards and will be getting spare batteries. What i am wondering is any recommended filters to use and take, or any other suggestions?

Thanks
Martin

01-11-2010, 01:05 PM   #2
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Unruely Quote
I am preparing in advance for a week long photo trip to alaska in May. I will be taking my new K7 as my main camera with a Nikon as a back-up. I am gathering up plenty of memory cards and will be getting spare batteries. What i am wondering is any recommended filters to use and take, or any other suggestions?

Thanks
Martin
I think you'll probably want polarizers, ...maybe a couple of UV's for lenses you might not want to take out bare in any messy conditions. Maybe a graduated ND filter if you like landscapey things. I'd carry as little extra as possible. Since the Pentax is primary, probably keep that Nikon kit as thin as possible, just enough to keep you from getting no photos at all if the Pentax gets lost or broken.

As it's an explicitly photo-trip, maybe bring more than you would for tourism, but don't weigh yourself down, I'd say. Normally, travelling is no time to play with too much unfamiliar stuff.
01-12-2010, 12:17 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I don't know what lenses you are planning, or have, but if you have something fast enough (i.e. longest lens F4 or better, take a TC for added reach.

Also consider a bean bag and a bag to hang as a weight on your tripod. Maybe a monopod (ideally combined into hiking stick) or a clamp with tripod head also, since you may need extra support when shooting.

For me, I would take 2 bodies, one with a long lens one with a short lens, to avoid switching back and fourth, you may be busy concentrating on a bald eagle somewhere with one long lens on a tripod, and want at almost the same time a wide angle shot.