Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-15-2010, 11:57 AM   #1
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery
Take my wedding photos?

Hey guys, I'm getting married in Feb! Problem is, I don't have the money to hire these outlandishly expensive pros. I'd do it myself like I do with most anything, but I kinda have to be in the shot this time.

So who's got a cost effective way to get quality wedding pics? I've read about maybe getting photography students to do it, but Jamie wants a sure thing. Would anyone here be interested in doing it for a few duckets? I'm in N Chicago, let me know!

EDIT: I'd let you use my equipment too, so if it helps your LBA to mess with my lenses.... Be my guest.

01-15-2010, 02:23 PM   #2
Damn Brit

The most cost effective way is not to have a photographer. A lot of your guests will probably have P&S cameras, just start a Facebook page and ask them to download their images there. Show a friend how to use your equipment as well and put it in P mode.
It's probably a safer method than hiring someone on the cheap.
01-15-2010, 02:35 PM   #3
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Agree with Gary, other than if you do have a hobbyist friend who can volunteer his/her 'services' for the big event. And have no expectations on the results!
01-16-2010, 12:40 AM   #4
Veteran Member

She wants a sure thing with no outlay? I'm in the same situation as you, so you have my sympathies, but you have to accept that unless you pay for a professional, you are taking the quality into your own hands!

01-16-2010, 01:50 PM   #5
Forum Member

Original Poster
I understand about getting what you pay for, believe me. It's just that the Facebook thing is definitely not an option, and we don't have the cash for a pro. What I'm looking for is someone with a little experience, who can take the portraits of us during and after the ceremony. I'm not after anything super nice, just a few good looking shots. Mainly the big one that hangs on the wall, where we stand next to a tree or whatever. I'm only looking to spend a couple hundered here, so an ametuer or student may just be what I'm after.
01-16-2010, 02:52 PM   #6
Damn Brit

QuoteOriginally posted by miniman82 Quote
I'm only looking to spend a couple hundered here, so an ametuer or student may just be what I'm after.
You'll be lucky to find a student who has the right experience so that leaves you with amateurs. Check out your local camera club if there is one.
01-17-2010, 08:22 AM   #7
Pentaxian

I would talk to a director of the photography department at the local art school or university with an art program. Tell them what you're looking for, and see if they can recommend a student that would do good work for the price you're looking for.

Obviously you won't get professional quality photographs, but you will get some great stuff with an artistic edge. Pros tend to go for the "known sellers" because in addition to selling their services, they also sell prints. An art student that is getting a flat rate may be more willing to put more thought and soul into each image.

And they'll probably shoot film (unless the school is digital, or they want to use digital). I'd recommend you pay for the film as well if you can, so they're not worried about consumables and just about getting the shot.

01-19-2010, 12:59 PM   #8
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by brofkand Quote
And they'll probably shoot film (unless the school is digital, or they want to use digital). I'd recommend you pay for the film as well if you can, so they're not worried about consumables and just about getting the shot.

I like that idea, I'll see what's in the area.

Gary: This IS my camera club!
I was hoping someone in the area would speak up, but I'll look into the photography school thing as an option.
01-19-2010, 01:42 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Well I guess moving to my area is out of the question. I would photograph your wedding if we were neighbors or friends living in the same area.
01-19-2010, 02:47 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Buy me a return plane ticket to the US.. I will come and shoot your wedding (:
01-21-2010, 05:38 PM   #11
Forum Member

Original Poster
Adrian,
If I had that much cash, I'd have gone back to Bris myself! Nutter!
01-21-2010, 06:06 PM   #12
Veteran Member

one thing my wife and I agreed on at the time was that the only thing that would keep the memories fresh, were good quality Pics. We actually adjusted our budget to make photography a priority over fancy food, elaborate cakes or high quality liquor. We even allocated some of the honeymoon budget to cover the cost.

Think about it for a sec, what would you rather have when your old and grey, memories of beef over chicken or a beautiful record of arguably the most important event in your lives?

Spend the money for quality photography because your friends and family wont be able to drag the shutter so all your reception pics will be overexposed faces with a black hole background.

seriously, would you rather have this: (my wedding)

or this: (not my wedding)

Last edited by mtroute; 01-21-2010 at 06:21 PM.
01-21-2010, 08:30 PM   #13
Pentaxian

Very good point, mtroute.
01-28-2010, 05:30 PM   #14
Forum Member

Original Poster
mtroute: I wish I had any money left, but the reality is we have people coming from all over to see us get married. Priority #1 was we had to make sure we had a place for us all to meet and socialize, and we also had to make sure people were fed. Everything else besides that (including the honeymoon) was done on a budget, the pictures are the only thing I have not been able to find a deal on, it's frustrating.

The thing that's killing me is most of these people want 1000's of dollars only to have me end up with a few good photos? I can't rationalize that, especially when we're both already broke, and the economy isn't going to recover tomorrow. Sorry, but it's not. I wasn't able to find a local photography school with a student to bribe, so that's out. I starting to think my only option is to give a family member my bag, and tell them to go nuts with it.
01-28-2010, 11:16 PM   #15
Veteran Member

I hear you man... you don't have to justify not getting a photographer. Some of the guys are on here are professionals but even they can't talk you around if you can't pay them!

If it makes you feel any better, I agree with you. Photographers, as with anything to do with weddings is a racket and most are vastly more expensive then they need to be. Seriously, you need a photographer for say three hours... even paying a .professionals' rate of $200 an hour that's only $600. Now for anybody that thinks I'm undervaluing the profession, this hourly wage equates to about $400000 a year if you were working full time. Not exactly chump change!

Now the argument could be made that it takes a lot of skill and that there are severe consequences, but consider that air traffic controllers earn an average of $55 an hour, that argument doesn't stack up.

So the answer really is... they charge a ton because people will pay it and while it sucks that a good number of people can't afford the going rate, you can't blame people for taking the money and running!