Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-03-2010, 12:33 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Looking for Phoenix/Grand Canyon info.....

We're thinking of taking our annual family vacation to see the Grand Canyon & surrounding area this summer. Are there any Pentaxians out there that either live in the area or are familiar enough with it that we could PM each other and I could pick your brain a bit?
Just looking for general info about the Grand Canyon, Phoenix, and other things to see (and maybe photograph) in the general area.

Thanks,

Tim

02-03-2010, 01:36 PM   #2
Banned

I grew up and lived in Northern Az and lived in Phx years ago. No up to date info from me but I doubt that the canyon has changed that much. I'll do what I can to help. It depends on how much time you have. I took my wife out a few years ago. We got this in easily in two weeks along with a couple of days in Santa Fe.

Sedona and Montezumas castle in on the way to Flagstaff.

Hit the Canyon, then head across to Canyon De Chelly and then back via the painted Desert/Petrified Forest, then Walnut Canyon near Flagstaff.

Desert Sonora Museum near Tucson is also great.

I'm sure the locals have a lot more info. I try to avoid Phoenix (sorry Phoenicians)..
02-03-2010, 01:54 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks for the tips Vaughn.

I find what you say about Phoenix kind of funny because ast night I was looking through a travel guide I had picked up at the library ("The Rough Guide", if I remember right), and it was really dissing Phoenix. In a couple of spots they were saying (paraphrasing) "If you HAVE to go to Phoenix, then.......".

It can't be THAT bad - can it?

After a few days at the canyon we were thinking we might use Phoenix as our base for day trips out to other sites because the hotels seemed pretty reasonable there (especially compared to say, Flagstff). Maybe there's a reason for that!?!?!

Phoenicians - Speak now, or forever be mis-portrayed!

Tim

Last edited by UpNorth; 02-03-2010 at 03:21 PM.
02-04-2010, 09:00 AM   #4
Banned

There are a few things worth seeing in Phoenix such as the Heard museum but it's basically a big city with a lot of traffic.

Phoenix is a good base but I would suggest checking into a cabin in the Sedona area. You can cook and save money while having a great central base. There is a lot within 2-3 hours of Sedona including most of the places I mentioned. The Navajo and Hopi reservations are very interesting places, check out Oraibi on the Hopi reservation for beautiful artwork. Maybe a night in Chinle so that you can hit Canyon De Chelly which is beautiful and interesting.

If you want to stay in Southern Az, stay in Tucson, there is a lot to see in that area as well.

02-05-2010, 09:42 AM   #5
Inactive Account

Personally I think Flagstaff area would be a better base because it is close to GC and around there if your focus is outdoors there is a bunch of major sights. Just out of Flagstaff is the No Ariz. museum which will set the pace for a tour of the area. Sedona, Oak Creek Canyon, the ghost town of Jerome is all neat. Going east is Meteor Crater, Monumnent Valley, The Indian Country (the Auto Club has a specific map of this), trading posts, 1st and 2nd mesa, Canyon DeChelly is awesome, rafting is available near by. Do take the Indian vehicle tour concession into the canyon. Petroglyhs all over, Anastasi ruins. Hike to White House ruins (2 miles approx) wade the creek, the views are splendid. A little to the south is Chaco Canyon with indian archetectural photo prospects, just a fantastic place tent camping only as I recall but well worth a day or two. In the general area, using a good map is Anastazi ruins in little pockets around the town of Aztec. You also have Mesa Verde not too far either.

There is just so much there, excuse my enthusiasim. Spend some time on the net with a map and figure out what your interest would be.

Pheonix is a big nice town with nice big town stuff

Canyon de Chelly National Monument, Chinle, Arizona

Have a good safe trip.
02-05-2010, 09:49 AM   #6
Inactive Account

I should have added this on photography:
Center for Creative Photography - The University of Arizona Libraries - The University of Arizona
02-05-2010, 03:38 PM   #7
Administrator
Site Webmaster

If you're in the Phoenix area, I can personally recommend heading over to the Desert Botanical Garden (March-April are the best months), South Mountain Park, and Tonto National Forest, which starts right after you leave Fountain Hills. The landscape is something else, as is the weather Feel free to PM me if you have any specific questions, or post them here! Hope you have a good trip full of great photography!

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
02-05-2010, 03:44 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster
More excellent info.
Man - I love this place (I.e. the Forum)!

Thanks Phil and Adam.

Adam - As I get more things nailed down, I may take you up on your offer of additional info - Thanks.

Tim
02-07-2010, 08:37 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

PM sent re Grand Canyon
02-12-2010, 01:54 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Sounds like you are getting some good advice from locals. Arizona offers a lot to photogaphers and outdoor adventure types.

This by no means is mean to dimmish the excellent recommendations listed so far, by my favorite area in Arizona is north up by Page where you can tour slot canyons. Here's one of the more famous examples: Antelope Canyon - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia Also, you can also try for BLM permits to hike out to Wave rock in the Coyote Buttes area : The Wave of Coyote Buttes

It might be too far to be practical if you are flying into Phoenix, but if you are driving then I'd recommend you consider routing your trip thru this area. Of course, that puts you within easy reach of Zion and Bryce canyons and Monument Valley, but now we're getting into Utah landmarks which is another story!

Regards,
-tom
02-27-2010, 08:26 AM   #11
Forum Member

Yes, I live in Phoenix and have been in Arizona since 1986, including ten years in Flagstaff. All good photo suggestions above. Having also lived in Appalachia for four years, I can say that only the west can offer the grand wide vistas nearly everywhere. As an urban area, the place has sprawled way beyond anything that is healthy or sustainable, but it is ringed by mountains and buttes, rocky outcrops and unique flora. If you are willing to walk or hike, the Phoenix Mountain Preserves can provide a nice contrast between desert and city. The air and sky is often junk, however, so circular polarizers are critical. Yes, email me offline if you want more suggestions. Arizona is a remarkable and beautiful state.
03-27-2010, 11:26 PM   #12

If you're interested in architecture you could go to one of the tours of Frank Lloyd Wright's Taliesin West or Paolo Soleri's Arcosanti. You could also visit the Chapel of the Holy Cross in Sedona which on its own is very cool, just ignore the eyesore McMansions surrounding it.

I've hiked the Grand Canyon twice with my dad who lives in Northern Phoenix, but never in the summer. Only 1% of the visitors leave the paved walkways! I'd definitely recommend getting a different perspective by walking down one of the major trails a short while. Just be careful not to go past any of the upper rest houses unless you're a serious hiker and brought lots of water and electrolytes.

I think Sedona would be the best base camp. Somewhat between the Grand Canyon and Phoenix and you could go on a Jeep tour and get some spectacular shots of the rock formations there.
03-28-2010, 07:45 PM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

We spent a week around the canyon in 2005.
You will possibly want to see Bryce canyon. Glen canyon ,Zion ANd both north and south rim
03-28-2010, 10:19 PM   #14
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteQuote:

Hit the Canyon, then head across to Canyon De Chelly and then back via the painted Desert/Petrified Forest, then Walnut Canyon near Flagstaff.
I did all those, as well as Grand Falls NE of Flagstaff, Meteor Crater, and stayed at the WigWam motel in Holbrook. Oh, and saw the "Standin' On the Corner" park in Winslow....

Zion Canyon and Bryce Canyon are on the same sort of geological scale as Grand Canyon, but you could do a whole vacation just for those, and hiking around (some strenuous) is recommended.
03-29-2010, 01:23 PM   #15
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by SpecialK Quote
I did all those, as well as Grand Falls NE of Flagstaff, Meteor Crater, and stayed at the WigWam motel in Holbrook. Oh, and saw the "Standin' On the Corner" park in Winslow....

Zion Canyon and Bryce Canyon are on the same sort of geological scale as Grand Canyon, but you could do a whole vacation just for those, and hiking around (some strenuous) is recommended.
I hope you ate dinner at the El Rancho in Holbrook. Best mexican in the area. I'm biased. Holbrook HS, class of 1980.