Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-05-2010, 11:01 AM   #1

Photos: Gallery
Carry-on camera gear for US bound flights - any experiences?

Trying to decide what gear to take on a flight to the US. Looks like a camera bag, along with regular carry-on, will be allowed. Don't see any size limitations for camera bag on my airline's web page - but am I right to assume the camera bag must be smaller than the regular "carry-on" bag? Anyone have recent experiences with carry-on and camera gear?

03-05-2010, 11:07 AM   #2

I live in the USA but recently went to Italy, France, Spain, and back, all carrying my camera gear in a Lowepro Slingshot 200. The Swiss were the only ones who checked it, and that was just on a connecting flight. I had a TON of general electronic gear in there -- camera, lenses, flashes, multiple media player devices, phone, numerous chargers and cables, dozens of batteries, etc. I was worried I'd hold up the entire family at every airport as they screened the heck out of all my gear, but I just had the one brief visual inspection.

I also had a separate carry-on bag in addition to my camera bag. I don't think you'll have any problems.
03-05-2010, 11:35 AM   #3
Veteran Member

I had a trip to PR recently and the way it looks is a camera bag is seen the same as your laptop case. Just keep it open and you'll be fine.
03-05-2010, 11:48 AM   #4

I flew 4 times to the US in the last 2 months, twice from Canada as I presume you will.

You are allowed a carry on plus one personal item. In this case, that would be the
camera bag. I use a Lowepro Nova 5 because it is the largest allowed camera bag
that counts a personal item. The dimension actually vary slightly by airline but the
common denominator is 36 linear inches. This means that length + width +depth
have to be 36" or less. Nova 5 is 14.9 x 9.5 x 8.9 = 33.3 linear inches.

- Itai
Digital Camera Buying Guide, Photography Articles and Reviews | NeoCamera.com

03-05-2010, 07:03 PM   #5
SF1

Original Poster
Thanks!

Thanks Itai - that's a huge help for my packing. I may pick up that Lowepro bag.
cheers,
SF1