Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-16-2010, 12:02 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
3rd Annual East Coast Gathering!

Sponsored by: Kingston, Sigma, BlackRapid, Lenspen, Lexjet & P3 Imaging Inc.

Where K-mounters can unite, swap stories, lenses and skills

Saturday Morning Meeting Info:CLICK HERE

UPDATE 7/21

The Form is up PLEASE download, read, sign and bring with you fri/sat
We only have 4 spaces left!

Update: 7/12
We are Good to go! We have 10 spots left for those wishing to attend
Date July 23-25
Price: $75 includes T-shirt, Sponsor Swag/raffle, Dinner Saturday light Snacks and Drinks and a 16x20 Print (Does not include Park-fees Est: $15 max)

Schedule:
Fri 7/23 5-6pm BBQ (pot luck) Sterling, VA (thanks MRRiley for the local)
Sat 7/24: Harper's Ferry 8am official start, unofficial sunrise shoot eta 5:30am
Antietam (afternoon/eve) photographing Artillery and Infantry Firing Demonstrations, landscapes and sunset
Dinner in Sharpsburg (Included in Price)
SPECIAL: Painting with Light lesson after dusk (Antietam area)
Sunday 7/25 TBA

Each person must pay for his/her individual entrance into the "national parks" we are a gathering of individuals with common interests, not a tour-group.

ALSO because of a lack in demand it is FYOB (Find your own bed)

Please I STILL need a definite Headcount:

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/gatherings-photo-trips-groups/106247-head...gathering.html

Update 6/30
Please I need a definite Headcount:
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/gatherings-photo-trips-groups/106247-head...gathering.html

Otherwise we are a GO for Saturday July 24th with possibility of the entire weekend July 23-25
Location: Harper's Ferry (Morning) and Antietam (Afternoon/eve)

--------
UPDATE 5/1
Final dates/local being chosen
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/1026368-post25.html

-------
Ok, so I know you all have been waiting for this... The annual gathering will hopefully go off again in the normal time-frame (end of June) I am in talks with MRRiley about a location he has mentioned before in PA I have also thought about Gettysburg area.

I already have some perspective sponsors lined up and one confirmed: SIGMA will be back sending us some cool glass, they seam to be very interested in the pentax market now and must say their latest 18-250mm is very fast focusing and sharp for the lens that it is (a super zoom) and are more than happy to sponsor the gathering/workshop again.

Feel free to PM me or post here (Mods can you sticky this)
thanks
-Brendan

Attached Images

Last edited by BrendanPK; 07-22-2010 at 09:02 PM.
03-16-2010, 05:40 PM   #2
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Sticky for now. Please notify me to unstick this once everything is lined up.
03-26-2010, 01:00 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Maybe the group should try this:

http://space.1337arts.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/09/1337artsGuide.pdf

(Who's K7 should we use?)!

regards,
-Tom
03-30-2010, 05:38 AM   #4
Veteran Member

The location Brendan mentioned is Ricketts Glen State Park in northeastern, PA, just southwest of Scranton. The main attraction is a loop trail with 21 major waterfalls on it.

Location on Google Maps (zoom out to see vicinity)

Ricketts Glen Information

This is VERY strenuous hiking because you generally start out at the top of the canyons and hike down one leg and back up the other. We are talking over 600' of elevation loss and then over 600" back up. The round trip hike is around 3-3.5 miles depending on where you start. Another option is to stage a car or 2 at the bottom (about 1.5 miles from the bottom falls) and to hike down one canyon, then drive back up to walk down the other canyon. Might work if we did 2 full days.

The main drawback of this location (for many of us in the DC area) is that it's almost a 5 hour drive from the DC area, but that could give us an opportunity to have members attend from NY, CT, RI, etc.

[IMG]http://gallery.photo.net/photo%2ls down the Glen Leigh canyon)

See my thread from last year for more info and photos... URL="https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/post-your-photos/67138-ricketts-glen-state-park-pa.html"]https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/post-your-photos/67138-ricketts-glen-state-park-pa.html[/URL]

Mike

Last edited by MRRiley; 03-30-2010 at 05:50 AM. Reason: added google map
03-30-2010, 06:12 AM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I'm game for Mike's location--it looks interesting (but I'll probably leave the big lenses at home and opt for pancakes :~)

I think the date is the more critical issue to nail down. I'm assuming we're talking about the week-end of 6/26-27--is that right?
03-30-2010, 06:50 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Probably about 3.5 hours for me, which is doable. All depends on the date.
03-30-2010, 09:43 AM   #7
Veteran Member

I was sort of hoping on a Gettysburg event would have driven down for that from Mass but dont know about a nature hike will keep an eye on things

03-30-2010, 12:27 PM   #8
Veteran Member

The big problem with Gettysburg is that they do not allow reenactments on the actual battlefield. The official reenactment held over the 4th of July weekend is offsite at a nearby farm. It's very impressive but always seemed more like a "theatrical production" to me. There is also the problem of lodging. I'd be willing to bet that all of the hotels within spitting distance of Gettysburg are already booked.

Mike
03-31-2010, 11:39 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Ok for the sake of everything, we have 2 real options:
Ricketts Glen State Park in northeastern, PA (Hiking, Nature)
or
Gettysburg (Battlefield, car-hikes, Best around the 4th though crowded)

Weekend would be either June 18-20 or July 2-4 or sometime in August

Last option is hold it early and go to the Air Show at Andrews AFB in Mid-May (not the best for the gathering, but plenty of shooting ops)

Also please note If we would hold in Aug We could even do Maine's Bar-Harbor area ($$ but very photogenic) but I would prefer to make this a seperate gathering/event
03-31-2010, 11:52 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Well if you end up doing the Bar Harbor event as well I would just head up to that one I think. I dont think that many people would want to be away from family for the 4Th to do Gettysburg. so I guess my vote would be for the people in the mid atlantic to do the nature thing. not really my thing more an building and monument fan here man made things you know
03-31-2010, 04:29 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Damn. Late June, early July sucks for me. Late July I'll be in Maine in the Augusta area.
04-04-2010, 04:58 PM   #12

Ricketts Glen sounds like a promising place to have a gathering.

Anyone know about any other way to get another sponsor?
04-10-2010, 12:17 PM   #13
VAV

This sounds interesting but I have never been to one of these events before and have many questions. How many days and what is the itenerary? Where do people stay? Thanks.
04-11-2010, 06:45 PM   #14

My vote is for Bar Harbor Will keep checking back for any updates!!
04-14-2010, 03:29 PM   #15
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by VAV Quote
This sounds interesting but I have never been to one of these events before and have many questions. How many days and what is the itenerary? Where do people stay? Thanks.
Sorry Vav.... didn't mean to leave you hanging with your question.

The gatherings usually last 3 days, starting on Friday evening and going thru Sunday afternoon. There is no requirement to get there on Friday though, nor any to stay thru Sunday. Some people come late and/or leave early.

The itinerary is basically several shooting opportunities sprinkled with a workshop or 2 and then a slide show Saturday evening of the day's shooting after dinner. We also all generally stay in the same hotel as well to make logistics and transportation easier.

Of course, one of the best parts is the swag... Brendan has been very succesful at getting lots of goodies to give away from many of the accessory and support vendors. He also manages to get a few demo lenses from Sigma too.

Mike