Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-30-2010, 06:01 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
NCAP Spring Social & Shoot - Airshow, Andrews AFB, MD, 15-16 May

This is the announcement and interest query for a late Spring social for the National Capitol Area Pentaxians. My proposal is to shoot the DOD Joint Services Air Show at Andrews AFB, MD (just SE of DC) on the 15th and/or 16th of May.

This is always a great show and this year features the Navy's Blue Angels and the most awesome warbird on the planet, the F-22 Raptor (pictured below).

Also, if we get a couple of folks with DOD stickers on their cars (I have one so thats good for 4-5 folks) we can park on base (otherwise parking is at FedEx Field with a free shuttle service).

I will be going on Saturday for sure and propose we shoot for that day just in case it's rainy. That way we can fall back to Sunday if necessary.

Anyone interested?

Mike

Last edited by MRRiley; 03-30-2010 at 06:19 AM. Reason: added info
03-30-2010, 06:19 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Let me think on this one, Mike. Airshows aren't really down my photographic alley but it might be an interesting outing for my daughter and grandsons.

Congratulations on your ascension to mod-dom, btw!
03-30-2010, 06:41 AM   #3
mel
Veteran Member

I'm running the 5k portion of the MCMs Historic Half Marathon that Sunday. I wanted to just go and shoot in Fredericksburg while hubby ran but I got roped into the shorter race. Ugh.
03-30-2010, 06:50 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by dadipentak Quote
Let me think on this one, Mike. Airshows aren't really down my photographic alley but it might be an interesting outing for my daughter and grandsons.

Congratulations on your ascension to mod-dom, btw!
Look at it as an opportunity for growth Dave! And thanks...

QuoteOriginally posted by mel Quote
I'm running the 5k portion of the MCMs Historic Half Marathon that Sunday. I wanted to just go and shoot in Fredericksburg while hubby ran but I got roped into the shorter race. Ugh.
So shooting the Air Show on Saturday would be a good warm up... LOL

Mike

03-30-2010, 04:48 PM   #5

"I love the smell of AvGas in the morning! It's the smell of Freedom!"

Amazing, I checked the website this afternoon for info on the show, and forwarded the link to old colleagues that did their time in the USAF. I have a DoD pass also, but I prefer to take the Metro and bus in and get there by 9:30 if possible. You can have the old warbirds pretty much to yourself if you get there by 10-10:30, the crowds usually start pouring in by then.
03-31-2010, 04:08 AM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I'm planning to attend with my son (also a pentaxian), daughter and two grandsons. We'll try to get there early but we'll be too big a herd to ride on anyone's pass so I'll need a meet-up time/location.
03-31-2010, 05:47 AM   #7
mel
Veteran Member

Bringing the monsterlens Dave? It could be fun with planes and junk

I'm going to have to wait until it's closer to see what's going on. That's soccer season and although I only have one playing this season I still need to kind of wait and see what's going on and how the wind's blowing and stuff.

03-31-2010, 08:07 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by dadipentak Quote
I'm planning to attend with my son (also a pentaxian), daughter and two grandsons. We'll try to get there early but we'll be too big a herd to ride on anyone's pass so I'll need a meet-up time/location.
We'll set up a time/place to meet. I'll be going as early as possible so will also give everyone my cellphone number.

Bringing the monsterlens Dave? It could be fun with planes and junk

I'm going to have to wait until it's closer to see what's going on. That's soccer season and although I only have one playing this season I still need to kind of wait and see what's going on and how the wind's blowing and stuff.
I could just see Dave trying to use that big a$$ 1000mm beast to pan a Tomcat passing at 400mph. LOL And you could miss ONE soccer game out of what... 750 or so games.

Mike
03-31-2010, 08:18 AM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Bringing the monsterlens Dave? It could be fun with planes and junk .
I'm thinking that might be a hassle what with crowds & grandkids in tow and would certainly depend on our transportation strategy. I was thinking the DA*300mm would be the ticket (with the 1.7x TC in the bag.)
03-31-2010, 08:27 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Can't generally bring tripods in anyway Dave, and I can't see you hand-holding that 3' long lens. The 300mm will do nicely especially with the TC.

Mike
04-06-2010, 01:17 PM   #11
Veteran Member

is it difficult to shoot planes flying that fast? Im not sure if i'm equipped properly to do this. anyone have tips?
04-06-2010, 04:14 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by GatorPentax Quote
is it difficult to shoot planes flying that fast? Im not sure if i'm equipped properly to do this. anyone have tips?
Difficult? Well I guess it depends on how limber you are. LOL... Frankly if I can twist at the waist (and I have more waist than I should) to pan, then anyone can. Other than that it's no more difficult than any other kind of photography, just different challenges. Until I got the BIGMA I shot these shows with a manual focus 300mm f5.6 Vivitar lens. Even with the BIGMA I normally use manual focus because for all practical purposes the aircraft are always far enough away that they hit the infinity focus point.

Mike

p.s. your Vivitar 70-210mm should be up to the task, particularly if it's a bright enough day to let you use your 2X TC.
04-08-2010, 05:55 AM   #13

I'd love to go, although I might not be able to really shoot, since my only "telephoto" is my 70mm, but it'd be fun to watch. I also plan to take the metro

Shawn
04-08-2010, 06:04 AM   #14
Veteran Member

I'd love to go, and will probably just be watching as well unless an old 200mm prime w/o TC would take decent pictures (or a consumer 70-300mm)
04-10-2010, 08:27 AM   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Mike, I'd love to go. If I can, hope it will be a bright day because my 55-300 needs a lot of light for high shutter speeds.