Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-16-2010, 12:11 PM   #16

The Coral Pink Sand Dunes State Park is absolutely beautiful!

04-17-2010, 12:53 PM   #17
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
About a year ago, I flew into SLC, then drove to Colorado - the stretch along I70 was awesome - I could have spent several days just taking pics along it!! And I wasn't even in one of the parks!

I've long wanted to go to Utah and spend some time in and around Bryce, Zion, Arches, etc!! Fantastic places.
04-17-2010, 02:43 PM   #18
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I'm in Utah. Here are my thoughts for you.

You'll likely arrive in SLC if you're flying in. There's lots to shoot here, spend a day, maybe two. Hit up Big and Little Cottonwood canyons. Take a trip out to Antelope Island. It's in the middle of the Great Salt Lake and is accessed via causeway. If you have an extra day, you can go out to the great salt flats.

Next up, Moab, Moab, Moab. Start there, hit the surrounding parks, spend 3-4 days, take lots of sunscreen. It's about a 5 hour drive from Salt Lake, and it's not a boring one.

I wouldn't hesitate to toodle over to St George at that point. On the way, don't forget to go through Goblin Valley. It's a bit out of the way, but you wont be disappointed and you can see most of what there is to see in a couple hours.

How long you spend in the St George area is up to you. If it were me, I wouldn't spend more than a couple days in this area, maybe 3 at the outside.

Hope this helps!
04-17-2010, 03:32 PM   #19
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by cgoudie Quote
... If you have an extra day, you can go out to the great salt flats.
By great slat flats, are you referring to the Bonneville Salt Flats? Is this the place where rocks are dragged overnight across thin ice by wind?

04-18-2010, 12:20 AM   #20
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by song_hm Quote
By great slat flats, are you referring to the Bonneville Salt Flats? Is this the place where rocks are dragged overnight across thin ice by wind?
It is. There are different places though. In some places you can't walk on the surface as it's just a thin crusting over the water.

A surprising number of things are shot out on the salt flats since they're relatively white (and even whiter with the right WB adjustment)

Lake Bonneville is the term for the lake that existed shortly after the last ice age and it's remnant is now the Great Slat Lake.

Also, advice from a local, don't plan on swimming in the Great Salt Lake.
04-18-2010, 02:51 AM   #21
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery
Just looked at a slideshow of your photobucket shots of Vegas, Zion and Bryce. Amazing pictures. Be there in about 2 1/2 weeks time so hopefully ill be able to get some like yours. Cheers.
04-19-2010, 02:52 PM   #22
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
While St. George is not far from Zion, it is not exactly close either (about an hour's drive).
I agree: St. George is too far away. If you want to do Zion, you need to stay in Springdale.

One other note: if you're in to fall color, the best time to do Zion is probably the second week in November. Of course, the later you go, the less of a chance the North Rim of the Grand Canyon will be open, as it closes at the first major snow storm of the season.