Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-20-2010, 08:37 PM   #1

Alaska - August 2010

I am travelling to Alaska this August with my wife and kids, and am looking for advice on how to take advantage of this opportunity without detracting from the rest of my families enjoyment of the trip and activities.

I am going from Anchorage to Talkeetna then Denali and back to Whittier by train, then taking a cruise that will include Glacier Bay NP, Skagway, Juneau and Ketchikan over 12 days.

I have a K10D with a sigma 17-70 and 100-300 f/4 on the way. I own an tripod, but am debating if I should bring it, buy a monopod, or both. The twist is that my son (13) will be travelling with his first DSLR ( K100D with 18-55 and 50-200 kit lenses), so I want to give him the chance to take some great pictures too.

Advice on locations, equipmment, logistics, etc. are all welcome

04-20-2010, 09:25 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
My wife, sons and I, have taken the In Side Passage cruise 3 times over the last few years and had a wonderful time each trip. Yes, a camera is a must and August is the perfect time.

There are a couple of suggestions I could make. Repeat after me - several times - Stitched panoramas.... Too much scenery for a single frame - regardless of how wide the lens is. Some practice shooting stitched will return wonderful rewards.

The other thing is bring a laptop or netbook. Down load your images and take a look at them. You will notice what you are doing right and wrong, very quickly and be able to correct the problem before you get home. I think that this would be especially important to your son. I did this on our first trip and it worked out well. Plus, in the evening you can all take a look at the day's shots.

I would also take a small backpack that you can carry the tripod, camera and lenses. It just makes it a bit easier we found.

.... and for the cruise, there are times that a DSLR is just a bit too much, a small P&S for the pocket works very well.

Just a few suggestions - and have a wonderful time....
04-21-2010, 06:52 AM   #3

Original Poster
Stitched Panoramas

So the Acratech GP ballhead that I was considering is not optional...
04-21-2010, 10:09 PM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by gnome Quote
So the Acratech GP ballhead that I was considering is not optional...
I also have a GP and I love it. For panoramas, I can think of nothing better - if you are going to use a tripod. I have been pretty successful handheld, but there are times that some "mechanical support" works really well. I would also consider an L bracket, so that you can stand the camera up in portrait mode, thus reducing the "long skinny picture" effect . I have an L for my K20 from Kirk and it works just as well for my K100 too. That way you and your son can share the equipment and not double up. My camera plate for the K20 (from Acratech) works just fine on my K100 too. And remember to take the Allen wrench.

I can feel the luggage getting heavier by the item.....