Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-03-2007, 10:52 AM   #1

Review: Camdapter Hand Strap with Built-in QR Plate + my mods

Camdapter

I have been looking for a better solution in carrying the K10D, as it is a heavier camera than I used to carry. I have given up on the neck strap as I found it quite tiring.

I have been interested in hand strap options; and I plan to use it with a small belt/waist bag for quick access. But I did not like the idea of having to take off and put on the strap whenever I need to use a tripod or change battery. Until I found Camdapter . With its built-in Manfrotto/Bogen QR plate (RC2 type), I have found a solution to my concern. You may also select plates for Arca Swiss and RRS.

I am now using a small holster belt bag. With the hand strap, it is very easy and quick for me to draw the camera out for shooting, and slip it back in when done.

Pros:
  • Built-in QR Plate - no need to remove grip to mount on tripod
  • Good battery door access
  • Very good quality metal QR plate and good quality hand strap
  • Extra lug allows you to use the neck strap at the same time if you want
  • Low profile - easier to fit in a camera bag
  • Sit flat on a desk - quite stable with short zoom or prime lenses.

Cons:
  • Cost - more expensive than other hand strap; but not that much more than the cost of hand strap + cost of QR plate added together
  • Requires Allen key to remove mounting bolt (now, where did I put the key which comes with the strap?) - though I can't think of a situation where I would need to remove the strap

My Mods

I have one dilemma with hand strap adjustment though. I like it to be tight for secure carrying. But it would restrict my hand movement for camera control. For the ease of reaching the buttons and dials, I want the strap to be loose. Either way, it would be a compromise.

I looked at a few other hand strap design, such as Hakuba PH with wrist support and the Nikon AH-4. And I got the idea of adding another anchor point. So I use a velcro "Stretch Utility Strap" I bought from a dollar store; and sling it between the main strap and the bottom strap loop.

It works out well for me. As it is elastic, it does not restrict my hand and thumb movement. I now can adjust the main strap as loose as I want to have good access to all the camera control, and the camera is still very secure. The photo shows how I can hang the camera on my wrist with all my fingers totally relaxed. My hand can still slip in and out of the strap very easily. And if need to pick up the camera immediately for the once-in-a-life-time shot, I can push aside the velcro strap and just use the main strap.

Attached Images

Last edited by kwal; 04-03-2007 at 11:00 AM.
04-03-2007, 04:07 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Looks interesting. I am tempted to buy one as well.
Is yours the top grain or the kidskin strap?
04-03-2007, 04:47 PM   #3
Inactive Account

Thank you for posting. I have used the Hakuba hand strap and found the need to unscrew it whenever I want to mount the camera to the tripod irritating. I might try this, if for nothing else to support some innovative thinking.
04-08-2007, 05:10 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Wow, wish they sold handstraps here. I've yet to see one locally.

Your's look nice and tight, pretty much how I would want my handstrap.

04-10-2007, 09:00 PM   #5
Inactive Account

very nice and i love your choice of tripod head
04-17-2007, 08:33 PM   #6

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by nosnoop Quote
Is yours the top grain or the kidskin strap?
The one in the photo is the Top Grain strap.
I have not seen the Kidskin one before; I basically selected it by random, and it turned out quite good.
04-23-2007, 04:53 AM   #7
Forum Member

With the extra loop it looks very much like the Nikon AH4 hand strap (which has a thread in its base part for a tripod)
http://www.qiqiwocamera.com/camera/strap/hs_s.jpg

04-23-2007, 04:57 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Hmmm - just a thought - what happens if you had a battery grip? Otherwise, looks great.
06-29-2007, 02:27 AM   #9

QuoteOriginally posted by SupremeMoFo Quote
Hmmm - just a thought - what happens if you had a battery grip? Otherwise, looks great.
Same question here? :-)
08-14-2007, 11:50 PM   #10

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by barendvl Quote
Same question here? :-)
I was looking for this info too, but found nothing and then decided to take a chance and to try it by myself I've got Camdapter Manfrotto Plus Adapter + Top Grain ProStrap. here are few quick pictures to ilustrate how camdapter fits k10d with battery grip: