Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-14-2014, 12:39 AM   #1

Putting Together a 645 Kit

I just got my 645, 200MM, 75MM AND 45 MM LENS. I got some film. I just need a bag to put everything in. My questions to ye who are more experienced than I in lugging around medium format equipment:
1. Do you prefer a sling pack versus backpack?
2. Good, sturdy but lighter tripod?
3. Any suggestions to a newbie 645 shooter.
4. Tamrac SAS/MAS system?

NOTE: I have permanent injuries(I'm not disabled) that make my shoulders sensitive to bearing lots of weight. My left knee has a plate in it and my right leg below the knee is a prosthetic. Started with a ME Super waaay back in 1982.

Am looking at light hiking to get to scenic positions. Have thought about a hybrid system of a smaller backpack that I can attach a tripod to and a belt setup for the stuff I may need to get to more quickly. I really like the cottoncarrier setup or some kind of belt clip for the camera but the price is steep.
I like the Tamrac belt setup. Maybe because I have been wearing a police gun belt for 24 years, the belt thing is appealing!

Thanks

05-14-2014, 02:03 AM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Hmmm...not sure I can help here. I don't have issues of carrying a lot of weight although I prefer not to when I can help it. I keep my 645n in a Pentax tear drop bag which gives me 2 to 3 lenses (45, 75, 200 would do nicely) and a spare film canister. I also have a cable release for it. This doesn't allow for a tripod though. My system is quite heavy and the tear drop bag does put a lot of weight on one shoulder. Hope this provides some insight. Happy 645 shooting. I love mine.
05-14-2014, 02:32 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Im going to suggest that you rethink slightly.

Invest in a walking stick monopod. you can use it to help you get about as a walking stick so it is a boon to walk with not a burden to carry, and the camera simply screws to the top when you want to shoot.

As for the camera itself, only take the camera and one lens already fitted, start with the 75, this way you travel light. The discipline of having only one lens will force you to think more.
05-14-2014, 02:32 AM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
How about a rolling bag? Something along these lines:
tamrac | Evolution Speed Roller
Back pack when you need it, rolling the rest of the time.
Better to wear out some wheels than your body.

05-14-2014, 03:03 AM   #5

Regarding tripods - look at Feisol, relatively cheap carbon legs. I have CT-3442 and Arca Swiss P0 ball head. This setup is light, yet sturdy - it holds easily Hasselblad 501 + Digital Back + 150/4 lens. Sure, you can buy even sturdier tripods from RSS but for much more money.
05-14-2014, 09:02 AM   #6

QuoteQuote:
I just got my 645, 200MM, 75MM AND 45 MM LENS. I got some film. I just need a bag to put everything in. My questions to ye who are more experienced than I in lugging around medium format equipment: .. .. 3. Any suggestions to a newbie 645 shooter.
Good choice of equipment. I think in Medium Format (MF) the selection of 45-75-200 is a very good choice.
(mine is 35 - 50*-80*-180*)

If it is a film 645 try to get a second film insert - it is light and cheap- you can preload it and the film change is quicker. (Even at landscape photography time (change of light) is a factor !)

* adapted [Carl**] Zeiss lenses.
** since last year Charly Z doesn´t like his christian name
05-14-2014, 09:58 AM   #7

Well I like backpacks which have a waist belt for when they are loaded down so that you can take some of teh weight off the shoulders. I have a Flipside 400 and love it (also loads through opening against your back which I really like ).

For a tripod I would go carbon fiber, I have a Induro CT 214 which is very compact and light that i use for travel and hiking it also holds up to 26lbs so it will do for MF as well as 4x5. It may be worth looking at their line to see what one fits your needs and price range.

05-14-2014, 01:13 PM   #8
Veteran Member

> Am looking at light hiking to get to scenic positions. ...

So you may be looking for a rather small bag then, as you probably want to have the camera in your hand so as not to loose shooting opportunities along the way. You will probably easily find room for your two remainig lenses in a belt pack.

At least, that's what's I do when I use my old 6x7.
05-14-2014, 02:06 PM   #9

Original Poster
I guess I was taking the wrong approach. Thanks for pointing this out. If I go out hiking to a vista point or mountain stream or walk to the beach for landscape photos I'm really only going to need one lens, the camera and the tripod. I need to think simple on this.

I will have a hiking stick since I 'm more prone to stumbling with my prosthesis and my right wrist, my dominant one, is shattered and I CANNOT afford to break it by breaking a fall with it. To do so would be catastrophic. So I can't be carrying the tripod in my hand since I'll be using a staff/hiking stick.

What I need is a comfy tripod bag or harness with dual shoulder straps that holds the tripod diagonal or vertically against my back. Wait a minute, one of those CAMELBAK hydration packs might fit the bill. Take the water bladder out and insert the tripod. The I could get one of those "clips" and mount it to one of the shoulder straps, or get a belt holster for the 645. Then just get me a Tamrac or Lowepro to keep everything in.

I know y'all think I'm way too persnickety about this, but you would have to understand my injuries to see why I am over thinking this.
05-14-2014, 02:33 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Welcome to medium format shooting, it looks like a good selection of lenses to me.

Until you get used to the size/shape/balance of the camera you might want to put a strap on it and use it round your neck when carrying it without a bag or loading film etc. As has been suggested, look for another film insert to simplify/speed-up loading, and until you're familiar with loading/un-loading roll film, make sure you make yourself comfortable when switching rolls and take your time doing it.

To start-off with, I'd agree that going out with just one lens (I'd suggest the 45 or 75) would be a good idea. Keeping things simple, lightweight and compact allows you to put more effort into concentrating on everything else. Don't be afraid of shooting hand-held if it suits your way of working.

Not sure I can help with bags, I've only used shoulder bags & rucksacks. Rucksacks are better on uneven ground but the ones I use usually have to be taken off to access the contents - which can be a pain.

Enjoy your new camera.
05-14-2014, 03:23 PM   #11

Considering what your thinking regarding your injuries, I would agree the idea is to keep everything in one pack.

In addition to good weight distribution, a nice plus of the mid sized ones is that you can put other personal items in the like lunch, sunscreen, etc. You also wont weigh yourself down much more with a simple kit of only a 2-3 prime lenses.
Many of the midsized packs like mine have the tripod pouch and straps included, as well as a rain cover too, so you shouldn't have to get very fancy finding special add-on pieces.

Last edited by johnsey; 05-15-2014 at 05:24 AM.
05-14-2014, 05:55 PM   #12
Veteran Member

You might find something like this helpful. It's a monopod which will double as a walking stick but has three small legs that can be folded out, transforming it into a tripod.

I suggest this because monopods are rather limited in their function, especially for landscape work. With my Pentax 645N I frequently need a tripod because of the slow shutter speeds necessitated by ISO 100 and ISO 50 film combined with low light situations like sunrise and sunset.
05-15-2014, 03:00 PM   #13

Original Poster
Wow! That is a neat monopod. Down here in rugged Alabama, I need a true tripod that adjust to uneven terrain.
I'm thinking a small medium backpack to keep everything in(camera, 3 lenses, flash, film inserts, filters, etc) (and tripod attached) and a belt with some type of clip holder OR a Tamrac holster case with a belt pouch to hold a different lens.

Thanks for the ideas. I just got my film in the mail today. Can't wait to get started.
Alan
05-15-2014, 05:11 PM   #14
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Bustedup Quote
Wow! That is a neat monopod. Down here in rugged Alabama, I need a true tripod that adjust to uneven terrain.
I'm thinking a small medium backpack to keep everything in(camera, 3 lenses, flash, film inserts, filters, etc) (and tripod attached) and a belt with some type of clip holder OR a Tamrac holster case with a belt pouch to hold a different lens.

Thanks for the ideas. I just got my film in the mail today. Can't wait to get started.
Alan
Look at this monopod also: VariZoom Monopods | Carbon Fiber Monopods

I have one, it's great.
05-15-2014, 08:33 PM   #15
KGH

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Bustedup Quote

Alan
What part of Alabama do you hail from? I'm from North Alabama. It's great to have more Pentax MF users around here!