Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
05-23-2014, 07:25 AM   #1
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Pentax 645/D/Z accessories list and availability?

Hi, all. If I haven't said it before, thanks to all of you for the help I've gotten from you in my short time here. Very nice forum (I run one, so I know...).

Today's question, something of a "Riddle me this, Batman": where does one find comprehensive lists of available accessories for the 645/D/Z system? With prices???

The best I can find is this, from Imaging Resource ( a site for which I am rapidly gaining respect---we use them for images we use at The LightZone Project to build raw tone curves): http://www.imaging-resource.com/PRODS/pentax-645z/ZURSYSTEMMAP.jpg

This image has been very helpful, but I can't find the source(maybe German, based on clues from the URL?) or even find this stuff on the Ricoh site (possible because it is not so well organized....). I also can't find it on the B&H site (True story: Manfrotto reps---gone now---used to use the B&H site to find their own products because the Manfrotto site was so badly organized and stuff was so buried...) Any and all help from you here would be greatly appreciated. Thanks, tex .

05-23-2014, 07:42 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I would try the Pentax Online Store. At least it will give you the list prices of each item.

PentaxWebstore.com:Official Pentax Online Store | PentaxWebstore.com

Phil.
05-23-2014, 11:14 AM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by gofour3 Quote
I would try the Pentax Online Store. At least it will give you the list prices of each item.

PentaxWebstore.com:Official Pentax Online Store | PentaxWebstore.com

Phil.
But that's just the point: a lot of this stuff doesn't seem to be on there, as far as I can see. Can you find them?
05-23-2014, 08:27 PM   #4
Forum Member

This is not about what is available new, but the compatibility of lenses and accessories from Pentax 645 products past and present.

05-24-2014, 10:48 AM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Hakusan Quote
This is not about what is available new, but the compatibility of lenses and accessories from Pentax 645 products past and present.
OK, I understand that, but a number of these things should be current (focus screens, magnifier, right angle finder...), but I can't seem to find these items new anywhere, including at the Pentax/Ricoh site. Just all seems very odd for what is very much a pro system---these are accessories one would expect from a pro system, but yet they are not available?

At least this chart helps determine compatibility so the used market can be tapped....
05-24-2014, 11:57 AM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

A great deal of 645 stuff is still Japan only if it is produced new still, we only just got the majority of the lens lineup back in the US and I'm not sure if those are even fully available yet.
A lot of that chart is accessories that are already available for the current cameras like the flashes or stuff that says included because it would come with the camera. I would assume the few bits on there that aren't available just haven't made it into the US fully yet. A lot can be found on ebay from Japan either new or used.
For example go to ebay and type in Pentax DK80 (one of the focus screens) and look where all the new auctions are from.
05-24-2014, 02:59 PM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by PPPPPP42 Quote
A great deal of 645 stuff is still Japan only if it is produced new still, we only just got the majority of the lens lineup back in the US and I'm not sure if those are even fully available yet.
A lot of that chart is accessories that are already available for the current cameras like the flashes or stuff that says included because it would come with the camera. I would assume the few bits on there that aren't available just haven't made it into the US fully yet. A lot can be found on ebay from Japan either new or used.
For example go to ebay and type in Pentax DK80 (one of the focus screens) and look where all the new auctions are from.
Yes, that's what I feared---I have already seen how many Ebay auctions for 645 lenses are from Japanese sellers. Was hoping to find more here in the U.S.

05-24-2014, 05:02 PM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Should be simply has no relationship to what is. RICOH is still digging Pentax out of the mess created in the 2000-2010 years. It won't happen overnight but they ARE making progress. We have to deal with current conditions and figure out how to get what we need as things are, rather than expecting things suddenly to accommodate us. Or use another brand, which is OK, too.

This Link will allow you to contact Pentax USA directly. Select 'Presales', not service, Digital Cameras, and there is a dropdown for 645z (That's a good sign in and of itself). Ask your questions and suggest local market stocking of 645 accessories, or who currently stocks them.

Pentax has been more responsive lately than their past reputation suggests. Hopefully your query will be routed to Ranbdall C., who can be a bulldog tracking stuff like this down.
05-24-2014, 09:04 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Actually the lack of in stock items in the USA isn't even whats always bothered me, its the truly idiotic fact that we could never even special order stuff that never left normal production in Japan. Do they not like selling product?
I am fairly well convinced Hoya must be Japanese for moron.
I am liking the directions Ricoh is moving for the most part.
05-24-2014, 10:11 PM   #10
Veteran Member

There is a lot of cool 645 and even 67II gear still for sale on the Ricoh/Pentax web store in Japan. It would be very cool to have all that gear easily available outside of JP:

????????/???????? | RICOH IMAGING

and just look at all those teleconverters:

http://store.ricoh-imaging.co.jp/c/c2141/
05-24-2014, 10:18 PM   #11

QuoteOriginally posted by PPPPPP42 Quote
Actually the lack of in stock items in the USA isn't even whats always bothered me, its the truly idiotic fact that we could never even special order stuff that never left normal production in Japan. Do they not like selling product?
I am fairly well convinced Hoya must be Japanese for moron.
I am liking the directions Ricoh is moving for the most part.
I feel your sense of frustration. It's rather maddening that a company takes a niche product and makes it seem prohibitively difficult to purchase. I have a friend that would term it "an elitist attitude gone horribly awry". lol What can you do but chuckle?
05-25-2014, 09:52 AM   #12
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I think the vexing question is, who would actually Special-Order your Japan-only item? Are they packaged at the factory-level 1-each or in boxes of 6 or 12 or 24? Who would break the box - Japan or Ricoh Imaging, USA or the Dealer? Who would inventory the broken-box remainder - perhaps forever - Japan or Ricoh Imaging, USA or the Dealer? How many Dealers order direct from Japan anyway, - 3?

Maybe it isn't quite as easy as it seems from the outside.
05-25-2014, 10:15 AM   #13
Veteran Member

I know you can buy 90% of that in the states and have no problem finding it on BH website. What is it you are looking for?

Except the 67 lenses, a few of the macro and close up accessories, and the focus magnifier and angled viewfinder. And most of that can be picked up used pretty easy KEH regularly has the focus magnifier and 90 degree viewfinder tube. They seem to be short stock of FA lenses. We will be getting new FA lenses when they come into stock. Some Canada shops already received some and sold out quick. But I don't know why you would want to buy them new the prices are double to 3 times what excellent condition used ones sell for.

Let me know if you need help finding something. BTW there is nothing really wrong with ordering on ebay from the Japan sellers. I have done that multiple times for hard to find things like drop in polarisers.
05-25-2014, 11:28 AM   #14
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by atlnq9 Quote
I know you can buy 90% of that in the states and have no problem finding it on BH website. What is it you are looking for?
I guess you didn't read my OP too closely. I tried B&H. I just tried again. I entered 3 items into their search bar, and came up with 3 zeroes. You can try, too.

Except the 67 lenses, a few of the macro and close up accessories, and the focus magnifier and angled viewfinder.
Ah, so perhaps not 90%?
And most of that can be picked up used pretty easy KEH regularly has the focus magnifier and 90 degree viewfinder tube. They seem to be short stock of FA lenses.
I regularly stalk KEH, excellent service and quality of goods. I picked up several 645 things from them for my 645N kit before I knew of the coming 645Z. No surprise to me, suddenly lots of 645 lenses have vanished from the website!
We will be getting new FA lenses when they come into stock.
???---who are you? Are you with a store? A rep? If so I'd love to hear more...
Some Canada shops already received some and sold out quick
Yes, somehow Canada is a hotbed of 645 stuff! Here in these forums we had tell of a new Z demo in shops in ....Sasketchewan!!!???? I mean no offense to the fine people of that province, but the largest 2 cities there together have less population than my mid-Atlantic city of Baltimore, I think by nearly a factor of 2. Open that up to the Richmond to Philly corridor and we're talking about a population and wealth concentration that probably exceeds that of several provinces, yet I've heard of no samples making the rounds. U.S. Pentax seems far less excited than Canadian Pentax about this great new camera....
But I don't know why you would want to buy them new the prices are double to 3 times what excellent condition used ones sell for.
I've already hit the used market, but it is useful, imo, to have new examples and prices at least for comparison's sake----and sometimes the savings aren't enough to warrant buying used (focus screens, for instance...)

Let me know if you need help finding something.
Thank you, and consider yourself consulted. I'll send you a list of my interests.
BTW there is nothing really wrong with ordering on ebay from the Japan sellers. I have done that multiple times for hard to find things like drop in polarisers.
I'm sure not, except for shipping....

---------- Post added 05-25-14 at 02:46 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by rawr Quote
There is a lot of cool 645 and even 67II gear still for sale on the Ricoh/Pentax web store in Japan. It would be very cool to have all that gear easily available outside of JP:

????????/???????? | RICOH IMAGING

and just look at all those teleconverters:

???/???????AF????? | RICOH IMAGING
Super helpful post, rawr! converting some of those prices gives me some answers I've been looking for. Thanks, mate! Here's a map for you:http://flourish.org/upsidedownmap/hobodyer-large.jpg

Last edited by texandrews; 05-25-2014 at 11:48 AM.
05-25-2014, 12:27 PM   #15
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by texandrews Quote
I guess you didn't read my OP too closely. I tried B&H. I just tried again. I entered 3 items into their search bar, and came up with 3 zeroes. You can try, too.

Ah, so perhaps not 90%? I regularly stalk KEH, excellent service and quality of goods. I picked up several 645 things from them for my 645N kit before I knew of the coming 645Z. No surprise to me, suddenly lots of 645 lenses have vanished from the website!???---who are you? Are you with a store? A rep? If so I'd love to hear more... Yes, somehow Canada is a hotbed of 645 stuff! Here in these forums we had tell of a new Z demo in shops in ....Sasketchewan!!!???? I mean no offense to the fine people of that province, but the largest 2 cities there together have less population than my mid-Atlantic city of Baltimore, I think by nearly a factor of 2. Open that up to the Richmond to Philly corridor and we're talking about a population and wealth concentration that probably exceeds that of several provinces, yet I've heard of no samples making the rounds. U.S. Pentax seems far less excited than Canadian Pentax about this great new camera.... I've already hit the used market, but it is useful, imo, to have new examples and prices at least for comparison's sake----and sometimes the savings aren't enough to warrant buying used (focus screens, for instance...)

Thank you, and consider yourself consulted. I'll send you a list of my interests.I'm sure not, except for shipping....

---------- Post added 05-25-14 at 02:46 PM ----------

Super helpful post, rawr! converting some of those prices gives me some answers I've been looking for. Thanks, mate! Here's a map for you:http://flourish.org/upsidedownmap/hobodyer-large.jpg
Well like I said I can't help you too much unless I know what you are looking for. Pentax isn't even making new 67 lenses anymore so anything new for sale even in Japan is old stock so no chance B&H would still have those new.

I am not a store but Pentax is bringing the FA lenses new to the North America market. You can pre order on several places. Since you like B&H:
pentax 645 | B&H Photo Video

Here is the battery stuff:
pentax dli90 | B&H Photo Video
And AC adapter: Pentax K-AC132 AC Adapter Kit 38780 B&H Photo Video

Here is the GPS:
Pentax O-GPS1 GPS Module 39012 B&H Photo Video

Pentax remotes:
pentax remote | B&H Photo Video

Sensor cleaning:
I wouldn't use Pentax stuff for that.

Memory cards:
Available any brand but here is the flu card: Pentax 16GB FluCard Pro SDHC Memory Card for Pentax Cameras

Pentax Flashes:
pentax flash | B&H Photo Video

Pentax camera cables:
it isn't proprietary so no need to buy from Pentax

So what are we missing:
Extension tubes, mount converters (these are available from places like photodiox just doesn't have the Pentax name), 67 lens are out of production, the replacement eye cup can be ordered through the service, KEH has a right angle viewfinder available http://www.keh.com/camera/Pentax-645-Prism-and-Viewfinder-Accessories/1/sku-PM149990352090?r=FE, a few weeks ago they had a couple focus magnifiers in stock but are gone now. I would expect FA lenses to be here around the time the Z shows up in stores.

So pretty much every item is very easy to get except the extension tubes (I haven't really searched for those), macro reverse mount, and the focus screens. Pretty much covers everything that is still in production except the grid focus screens which a couple specialty shops make, I remember one company that I was talking to which was going to make a split screen to go in my 645D...

Last edited by atlnq9; 05-25-2014 at 01:00 PM.