Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-04-2014, 04:00 PM - 1 Like   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Lula 645Z Review

Michael Reichmann has just published a good review on Luminous Landscape of the 645Z. He has also purchased one for himself. He likes what Pentax has done with the Sony sensor.
Pentax 645z In-Depth Review

Dale

09-04-2014, 04:24 PM   #2
Banned

Photos: Gallery
nice!
09-04-2014, 04:37 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
He even links to this websites Pentax 645 lens review section - see review sites shown in his "Lenses" paragraph.

QuoteQuote:
Lenses

OK...here's the deal. There's good news and there's bad news when it comes to lenses. Pentax has been making 645 lenses for many years. There are some that are great, and some not so great, though few if any are really poor. Doing a bit of research on the Net, and browsing the forums and review sites will tell you what's what. Because there have been so many lenses over so many years there are also different models, some with AF, some not. Do some research and learn how to decipher the lens codes so you know what you're doing. (Hint – FA means autofocus).
09-04-2014, 05:45 PM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by yurihuta Quote
He even links to this websites Pentax 645 lens review section - see review sites shown in his "Lenses" paragraph.
Where else are all the Pentax 645 lenses reviewed? This site is invaluable to new (and existing) 645 shooters!

BTW, I liked Mr. Reichmann's observations and candidness. We'll see if the Leica S3 doesn't ring some futher bells in the coming months...

09-04-2014, 06:41 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

It's good to see a reviewer who's willing to admit they've been hasty in a previous judgment. Unlike some here, I quite like the Luminous Landscape style of commentary, and the emphasis they put on equipment's performance in the field. Maybe I'll buy myself a 645Z as a retirement present, whenever that is!
09-04-2014, 06:46 PM   #6
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by RobA_Oz Quote
It's good to see a reviewer who's willing to admit they've been hasty in a previous judgment. Unlike some here, I quite like the Luminous Landscape style of commentary, and the emphasis they put on equipment's performance in the field. Maybe I'll buy myself a 645Z as a retirement present, whenever that is!
Gee, , see if you can get me one in a 2 for one special or something.... do they have those on 645z's?
09-04-2014, 07:07 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
Gee, , see if you can get me one in a 2 for one special or something.... do they have those on 645z's?
Daresay they will, by the time I actually get off this bloody treadmill!

09-04-2014, 08:03 PM   #8
Veteran Member

THis is a great review by a pro. Interesting what he said about the Flucard
09-04-2014, 10:34 PM   #9

I think its a review like any others. No word about studio use - why - because for use in a studio especially the workflow there of the 645z is sorry crap.. no real tethered possibility for this medium format camera
09-04-2014, 10:39 PM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by xpixel Quote
I think its a review like any others. No word about studio use - why - because for use in a studio especially the workflow there of the 645z is sorry crap.. no real tethered possibility for this medium format camera
Well, let's have your review of use in a studio, including the use of the FLUcard, so we can consider the basis for your assertion. The 645D did have a wired tethering solution, if memory serves correctly - does the 645Z not share it?
09-04-2014, 11:23 PM   #11

QuoteOriginally posted by RobA_Oz Quote
Well, let's have your review of use in a studio, including the use of the FLUcard, so we can consider the basis for your assertion. The 645D did have a wired tethering solution, if memory serves correctly - does the 645Z not share it?
No the the 645Z does not share it yet... the FLUcard is just a compromise - all serious medium format cameras like Phaseone, Mamiya, Hasselblad, Leica have it but not Pentax - strange...
09-05-2014, 01:24 AM   #12
Pentaxian

No the the 645Z does not share it yet... the FLUcard is just a compromise - all serious medium format cameras like Phaseone, Mamiya, Hasselblad, Leica have it but not Pentax - strange...
The Pentax is weather sealed for outdoor use, all the others aren't. The D and the Z have been squarely pitched at landscape use which would explain why tethering is not treated as a priority and also the sync speed.
09-05-2014, 06:17 AM - 5 Likes   #13
Inactive Account

Pentax says that tethering in studio is coming before the end of the year. There are new leaf shutter lenses coming as well.

Michael
09-05-2014, 09:49 AM   #14
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by mreichmann Quote
There are new leaf shutter lenses coming as well.

Michael
!!! Well, now....first anyone has heard of it I believe. Thanks for the tip, and the solid user commentary---very helpful with some good tips. And the images look pretty good as well.....that might be the best hazy summer sun image I've ever seen, very impressive. Also the dappled shade images---those have bedeviled me for some time, and I now look forward to turning the Z on them to tame them. The approaching storm image has great tonalities, and the swing image is perfectly composed. Maybe I'm imagining it, but all the images look better to me, having been done with the Z....

Last edited by texandrews; 09-05-2014 at 03:59 PM. Reason: misspelling, typo
09-05-2014, 12:54 PM   #15
Forum Member

Michael - are you tempted or looking at the new 28-45mm zoom for your Z ?

Phil