Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-10-2010, 12:06 PM   #1
Forum Member

645 / 645N: Change backs in dark?

For both of these cameras, is it possible to go into a completely dark room and change the backs mid-roll? Or is there some auto-wind feature that kicks in to attempt to save the film?

I would like to re-allocate my film choices

05-10-2010, 12:29 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
You can pop it right out, but it's really got to be 100% dark in there! The only protective 'mechanism' for the 645 films is the little black flap of paper at both ends of the roll.
05-10-2010, 01:55 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
But isn't there a problem with counting? Or would it be safe to take note of the number of exposures on the film and take that number of shots with the lens cap on and selecting flash sync speed?

That could be interesting with a film changing bag or box.
05-10-2010, 03:23 PM   #4
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Won't it be all set once the last shot has been taken? The camera should be able to detect this.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

05-10-2010, 07:20 PM   #5
D W
Veteran Member

It doesn't really work like that.

Two methods that I have tried:

1. Put film holder into the box - but when it is put back in camera the film will be advance to frame one from the start arrow so a few frames will be "lost".

2. After removal of film holder, rewind the film back to beginning. Mark frame number on backing paper. reload film and advance with lens cap on to frame "XX" - but since the film and backing paper is only attached together by a piece of tape at the beginning of the roll, re-rolling it in the dark is quite a chore. Also when reusing film this way there might be compromise in film position. I have seen creases in the backing paper when this method was used.

Most of the time I use camera 2 (a luxury) or just burn to the end of the roll
05-11-2010, 06:35 AM   #6
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by D W Quote
Most of the time I use camera 2 (a luxury) or just burn to the end of the roll
Yeah, I'm actually up to 3 645 bodies but only 2 N's and one older 645. I like the matrix meter in the N better and would love to be able to choose which film rolls behind it...

Sounds like I basically can't / shouldn't, though. Would have no problem burning film if each frame didn't cost me about $1, with film purchasing and developing costs included!
05-12-2010, 06:06 AM   #7
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by andycogbill Quote
Yeah, I'm actually up to 3 645 bodies but only 2 N's and one older 645. I like the matrix meter in the N better and would love to be able to choose which film rolls behind it...

Sounds like I basically can't / shouldn't, though. Would have no problem burning film if each frame didn't cost me about $1, with film purchasing and developing costs included!
A good argument against 220. I have not found a way to do this practically, either. If weight is not a factor, as cheap as 645 bodies are, it occurs to me you don't have to burn too many rolls to make it cost effective to have a spare. If I shot much E6 these days, I'd definitely give it a body of its own.
05-16-2010, 07:20 PM   #8
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Call me biased, but maybe you should switch to a system with interchangeable backs.

05-17-2010, 06:17 AM   #9
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Steve Beswick Quote
Call me biased, but maybe you should switch to a system with interchangeable backs.
Considering your signature, you're biased