Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-16-2010, 06:27 PM   #1
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Scanning MF film

Hello,
Does anybody have experience scanning MF negs or slides using Epson V700/V750-Pro Perfection Scanner ? I am debating between V750 and dedicated film scanner, whether its worth to spend the extra $ on dedicated.
Thanks

05-16-2010, 07:14 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

A dedicated scanner makes things a lot easier from my experience, but they do tend to be pricey.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

05-16-2010, 08:13 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Macroguy Quote
Hello,
Does anybody have experience scanning MF negs or slides using Epson V700/V750-Pro Perfection Scanner ? I am debating between V750 and dedicated film scanner, whether its worth to spend the extra $ on dedicated.
Thanks
Hello,

I answered your message and I have sent you a PM.
BTW forgot to mention that I am using VueScan which on top of being inexpensive compared to SIlverFast works great for me.

Cheers,

Luc
05-16-2010, 08:27 PM   #4
Site Supporter

I use the V500 for medium format. Stevebrot got a V700 because it could do large format as well.

05-16-2010, 09:06 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Me too. I use V500 for medium format and 35mm, both slides and negatives. 35mm scans are okay; medium format scans are great. The Epsons are low-cost reasonable quality solutions, however, what Adam said...
05-16-2010, 10:32 PM   #6
Site Supporter

I have a V700 and I love it- scans everything up to 8x10 (though I only use it for 4x5 and smaller).
05-16-2010, 11:26 PM   #7
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Blue Quote
I use the V500 for medium format. Stevebrot got a V700 because it could do large format as well.
I (stevebrot) have a V700 that I use for medium and large format. I have a Nikon Coolscan 5000 ED for 35mm negatives and slides. I have only had the V700 for a couple weeks and am pleased so far by its performance with 120 negatives. I have not tried it with 35mm. The Epson is a real nice unit, though I am quite confident that the Nikon offers better performance and convenience for 35mm. Whether it is worth 2X the money is debatable, however. Ditto for the Nikon Coolscan 9000 ED at almost 4X the price. An Epson flatbed or a less expensive film scanner may be a better and less expensive option depending on your needs.

Things to consider:
  • Design and quality of film carriers...some are quite troublesome to load (e.g. Nikon FH3) and/or may not hold the negative flat
  • Scan speed
  • True resolution...most makers exaggerate badly. The V700 reaches its practical limit at about 2400 dpi.
  • High resolution is not as critical for medium and large format. Even relatively low resolution scans will yield a high pixel count with a large negative.
  • Flat bed scanners are typically fixed focus
  • Some dedicated film scanners are also fixed focus
  • Support for wet mount...useful for B&W negatives
  • Digital ICE...yes, it really works for color negs/slides
Bundled software might also be added to the list, but to be truthful, the available software options all suck in regards to usability. Vuescan is not particularly friendly, but probably provides the most utility for the best price. Bundled versions of Silverfast below SE Plus may not even support your scanner's full feature set and will not work well with Kodachrome. Upgrade is to be expected if you prefer the Silverfast product. Both the Nikon and Epson scanning software is fairly competent, but have their weak points.

Here is a source of scanner reviews with objective estimates of resolution:
ScanDig Scanner Tests/Reviews
Note that Reflecta models are sold in N. America under the Pacific Imaging label.

Steve

(Has invested far too much money in scanners...)

Last edited by stevebrot; 05-16-2010 at 11:55 PM.
05-17-2010, 12:27 AM   #8

The true resolution of scanner like Epson V700 or Microtek F1/M1 is somewhere around 1600 - 2000 spi (I have the Microtek F1 as I shoot up to 4x5). If that is enough you get nice results. If you need more the next step is obviously Nikon Coolscan 9000.

I have a lab to make scans (from Rolleiflex T) for me BOTH with Coolscan 9000 and Imacon X5 and the results were nearly undistinguishable.

Actually - here you can find (bottom of the page) two full size 4000 spi scans from the same slide (Fuji Ga645) made with Coolscan 9000 and Imcaon X5 - have a look:
digitalcopy24

05-17-2010, 01:35 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Quite as stevebrot and others here, I use the V700 for medium format and large format film. Combined with Silverfast it deeivers excellent scans of app. 2200dpi resolution and with a very good dynamic range - certainly enough for slides and with multiscanning enabled also very good with negs.

The advantage over dedicated film scanners is, that you can (depending on film format) place several slides or negs in the tray and batch scan them, for which you pay dearly in dedicated slide scanners - if it is available at all.

One disadvantage of the V700 and V750 is, that you need to scan at the full "official" resolution of 6400dpi to reach those 2200 real dpi!. This increases file size massively. Good dedicated film scanners do not exaggerate their real resolution that much and pump up the file size artificially.

On the other hand you can downsample the big file after scanning without loss of information.

For scanning 35mm the V700 is just good enough resolution-wise. I only use it for these small slides, when I scan multiples to assemble a panorama, because then, the single file should not be too big anyway.

All in all, I think the V700 is the "best buy" in the film scanner category for any film format bigger than 35mm. If somebody would only scan 35mm, I would look for a dedicated unit. But don't be fooled. Even with the small 35mm slides, the V700 produced better scans, than my old Nikon Coolscan III/30.

Ben
05-17-2010, 12:19 PM   #10
Forum Member

Original Poster
I do have a 35mm film scanner already, Minolta Scan Elite 5400 that I have been using for few years now. I guess to get a similiar quality of scan in MF I will have to stick to a dedicated scanner. I was not sure about the new generation of flatbed scanners, I read some great reviews but what it sounds like from the posts there is no magical way around if you expect similiar quality.
05-17-2010, 12:26 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I do have a 35mm film scanner already, Minolta Scan Elite 5400 that I have been using for few years now. I guess to get a similiar quality of scan in MF I will have to stick to a dedicated scanner. I was not sure about the new generation of flatbed scanners, I read some great reviews but what it sounds like from the posts there is no magical way around if you expect similiar quality.
From what I know of the Minolta, a V700 will give you comparable quality. I don't think it makes that much sense to scan MF or LF film with higher resolution than the real 2200dpi, the V700 provides. And the dynamic range is at least as good as that of the Minolta.

Ben
05-17-2010, 01:28 PM   #12
Veteran Member

That was my conclusion as I also scan my 35mm on a 5400.
It is all in the size of the print that you want to make. For web and 8*10, the flatbed is enough for 13*19 to "my" taste it was not. But YMMV.
I found that scanning a good 24*36 on the 5400 and a good 6*45 on the flatbed was at best giving the same result with more often than not the advantage to the 24*36. I decided that if I was going to lug around a full 645 system I wanted the best quality out of it, otherwise I might as well stick with 135 and save some weight on my back.

Cheers,

Luc

Last edited by lbenac; 05-17-2010 at 02:28 PM.
05-17-2010, 01:34 PM   #13
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Matus Quote
The true resolution of scanner like Epson V700 or Microtek F1/M1 is somewhere around 1600 - 2000 spi (I have the Microtek F1 as I shoot up to 4x5). If that is enough you get nice results. If you need more the next step is obviously Nikon Coolscan 9000.

I have a lab to make scans (from Rolleiflex T) for me BOTH with Coolscan 9000 and Imacon X5 and the results were nearly undistinguishable.

Actually - here you can find (bottom of the page) two full size 4000 spi scans from the same slide (Fuji Ga645) made with Coolscan 9000 and Imcaon X5 - have a look:
digitalcopy24

I think your maximum scan resolution for the V700 may be a little low. The figure I have read is 2300 dpi (LINK), but may be a bit higher if critically focused using an adjustable holder (LINK)

Thanks for the links to the 9000 ED and Imacon X5 scans. I took the Imacon image and downsampled to 2400 dpi to get a sense of how it compares to my Epson V700. Pretty impressive. I don't know if it is $20,000 USD impressive, but pretty impressive none-the-less!

Steve

(The 9000 ED scans looked pretty decent as well!)
05-17-2010, 01:37 PM   #14
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by lbenac Quote
... I decided that if I was going to lug around a full 645 system I wanted the best quality out of it, otherwise I might as well stick with 135 and save some weight on my back...
IIRC, you recently purchased a Nikon 8000?

Steve
05-17-2010, 02:27 PM   #15
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
IIRC, you recently purchased a Nikon 8000?

Steve
Yes I did.
I got one for $1,200 and the V700 was $650 so I decided that it was worth paying double to get double the resolution for the same or smaller file size. Some of the tests I read about the V700 placed the resolution around 2,100 dpi and the V600 that I have around 1,800 dpi with the Betterscan glass holder.
If I had splurged for a V700 in the first place I might very likely have stuck with it.
For now I will sell the V600 with the glass holder and happily churn (literally the sound of) along with the LS-8000 touching wood that no hardware failure ever happen for the next 10 years.

Cheers,

Luc