Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-19-2010, 08:43 PM   #1
Inactive Account

Mirror vibration/Leaf shutter

I ordered my 645n mainly for Landscapes and I'm a little bit concerned about mirror vibration. I couldn't afford a 645NII with its' mirror lock-up function, so I guess if vibration is a problem, I'll have to look at getting a leaf-shutter lens somewhere down the road.

Any thoughts on this?

Thanks,
Ray

05-19-2010, 08:56 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
The 645N incorporates some pretty sophisticated mirror dampening. I have not noticed a problem with mirror vibration, although I don't take many long exposure images.
05-19-2010, 09:32 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Lunaray Quote
I ordered my 645n mainly for Landscapes and I'm a little bit concerned about mirror vibration. I couldn't afford a 645NII with its' mirror lock-up function, so I guess if vibration is a problem, I'll have to look at getting a leaf-shutter lens somewhere down the road.

Any thoughts on this?

Thanks,
Ray
Check the review of the 645N at Luminous Landscape. It concluded that the MLU was unnecessary on the 645.

Cheers,

luc
05-20-2010, 10:30 AM   #4
Forum Member

yes, the key point LL made was that all of the shaking you see the camera do when a picture is taken is all from the mirror snapping back into place, long after the shutter has opened and closed.

I have shot 100s of rolls on my Ns and have not once seen an issue with vibration.

05-27-2010, 01:47 PM   #5

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by andycogbill Quote
yes, the key point LL made was that all of the shaking you see the camera do when a picture is taken is all from the mirror snapping back into place, long after the shutter has opened and closed.

I have shot 100s of rolls on my Ns and have not once seen an issue with vibration.
I haven't shot 100s of rolls (yet!) but I concur. I'd just be more worried about handshake at lower shutter speeds
05-27-2010, 02:32 PM   #6
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Then why does Ken Rockwell say this?

In a review of the Mamiya 6 rangefinder, Ken Rockwell says this:

"makes sharper images due to the silent and vibration free electronic leaf shutters and rangefinder design lenses"

Just curious why he would say this if there isn't any truth to it, is it just his unproven opinion. I just sold my Rollei in order to finance my 645N and because of its' leaf shutter, it was certainly quieter and without any detectable vibration at all and its' images were the sharpest I have ever taken. But if the shot has already been made, I guess I don't care about the sound and the vibration.
05-28-2010, 11:27 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

just a word of advice; take any information that comes from ken rockwell with a pinch of salt...better make that a spoonful of salt...

i've been using the 645NII for a long time and I concur with Michael Reichmanns findings on the 645NII : that MLU is largely redundant, though for macro at 1:1 and greater magnifications it certainly is useful.

Last edited by Digitalis; 05-28-2010 at 11:33 PM.
06-01-2010, 06:24 AM   #8
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Lunaray Quote
In a review of the Mamiya 6 rangefinder, Ken Rockwell says this:

"makes sharper images due to the silent and vibration free electronic leaf shutters and rangefinder design lenses"

Just curious why he would say this if there isn't any truth to it, is it just his unproven opinion. I just sold my Rollei in order to finance my 645N and because of its' leaf shutter, it was certainly quieter and without any detectable vibration at all and its' images were the sharpest I have ever taken. But if the shot has already been made, I guess I don't care about the sound and the vibration.
The lack of mirror slap is pretty much limited to the 645 alone. Most MF SLRs have clearly demonstrated that their mirrors cause vibration in images -- just not Pentax!
06-01-2010, 06:34 AM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by andycogbill Quote
The lack of mirror slap is pretty much limited to the 645 alone. Most MF SLRs have clearly demonstrated that their mirrors cause vibration in images -- just not Pentax!
with the Pentax 67 being the worst offender of them all.
06-01-2010, 08:19 AM   #10
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Digitalis Quote
with the Pentax 67 being the worst offender of them all.
Yes, touche, should totally have said "645" there again

Of course, you're still likely to get some strong opinions re: the 67's mirror slap 'round these parts....
06-02-2010, 12:00 PM   #11
Pentaxian

If you want to see how bad the 6x7's mirror slap affects pictures, just shoot their 90mm LS lens on pure leaf shutter mode and compare. I have. Here is a handheld 67 shot and you can see how the bone-crushing slap affects sharpness. And yet another one.