Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-20-2010, 09:35 AM   #1
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery
Will the 67 to 645 adapter make a comeback?

So, with all of this talk about the 645D and its compatibility with 67 lenses "with an adapter," what are the odds that Pentax will start making this adapter again? Every pre-review I've seen mentions this fact, but not the fact that this adapter is going for near diamond prices on eBay and rarely shows up on KEH these days

I'd love to have one for my 645nii so I can share with my 67 system, but won't (can't!!) pay $200 to $300 dollars eBay is getting right now - WHEN they even show up.

Anybody else hoping for a new production run???

Mike

05-20-2010, 02:53 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I foresee Pentax announcing that they had several thousand copies stored away in a warehouse, and that they will be made available to us

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
05-20-2010, 06:12 PM   #3
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
I foresee Pentax announcing that they had several thousand copies stored away in a warehouse, and that they will be made available to us
Yeah... nice to dream

I'm amazed there are no third party ones - you see a ton of 67 to Mamiya 645 adapters out there. I guess this adapter just wasn't that popular. Probably due to the monster sizes of the 67 lenses.

Mike
05-23-2010, 07:56 PM   #4
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
Looks around to see if I have all the 67 lenses I need . . .

05-24-2010, 09:02 AM   #5
Forum Member

Original Poster
I cannot see that Pentax would just start up making these things again as the vast majority of people who buy the 645D will not be using 67 lenses. They will be buying new 645D lenses or using existing 645 ones. The 67 lenses are huge for the most part as is the adapter and you lose all of your auto-widgets (at least auto focus and auto aperture). This is probably a good thing, as 67 lenses should stay at reasonable prices!

I still find it really interesting that the pre-release sneak-peaks keep mentioning that this new camera can use 67 lenses with an adapter. It seems really odd to me when the adapter is so elusive.

Ah well, this is a dead horse I think. I'll get back to my looking

Mike
05-24-2010, 10:22 AM   #6

Shirley, you jest!

I got lucky and found one for $140. It's not a simple item to manufacture because the adapter also accepts 67 lenses that mount on the outer bayonet, and likewise, the 67 Auto Bellows. If you've got a small herd of 67 lenses, this item is a good buy at any price!

Good luck!
05-24-2010, 01:10 PM   #7
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by rick_reddy Quote
Shirley, you jest!

I got lucky and found one for $140. It's not a simple item to manufacture because the adapter also accepts 67 lenses that mount on the outer bayonet, and likewise, the 67 Auto Bellows. If you've got a small herd of 67 lenses, this item is a good buy at any price!

Good luck!
Thanks, and don't call me Shirley...

05-24-2010, 11:47 PM   #8
Veteran Member

HAs anyone tried buying one from Pentax, it is still a currently available item !!

Also the beauty of the adapter is that you keep Aperture but of cause you loose autofocus, because there are no 67 AF lenses anyhow.

The adapter is worth it as 67 lenses are far more available than 645 lenses and cheaper too. Size..... not that much bigger and most are primes !! Did I mention cheap, like most are $200~
I got my 7 lenses for $1500, tell me that is not worth it !!! and 3 were new....

Cheers Neil

QuoteOriginally posted by mikebob Quote
I cannot see that Pentax would just start up making these things again as the vast majority of people who buy the 645D will not be using 67 lenses. They will be buying new 645D lenses or using existing 645 ones. The 67 lenses are huge for the most part as is the adapter and you lose all of your auto-widgets (at least auto focus and auto aperture). This is probably a good thing, as 67 lenses should stay at reasonable prices!

I still find it really interesting that the pre-release sneak-peaks keep mentioning that this new camera can use 67 lenses with an adapter. It seems really odd to me when the adapter is so elusive.

Ah well, this is a dead horse I think. I'll get back to my looking

Mike
05-25-2010, 09:02 AM   #9
Forum Member

Original Poster
Available from Pentax??

I guess I'll have to give them a call as I have not seen these listed on Pentax's websites nor any third party sites. Just out of curiosity, how do you know this?

Mike

QuoteOriginally posted by knumbnutz Quote
HAs anyone tried buying one from Pentax, it is still a currently available item !!

Also the beauty of the adapter is that you keep Aperture but of cause you loose autofocus, because there are no 67 AF lenses anyhow.

The adapter is worth it as 67 lenses are far more available than 645 lenses and cheaper too. Size..... not that much bigger and most are primes !! Did I mention cheap, like most are $200~
I got my 7 lenses for $1500, tell me that is not worth it !!! and 3 were new....

Cheers Neil
05-25-2010, 10:01 AM   #10
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Yeah... nice to dream

I'm amazed there are no third party ones - you see a ton of 67 to Mamiya 645 adapters out there. I guess this adapter just wasn't that popular. Probably due to the monster sizes of the 67 lenses.

Mike
Yeah. The I guess that the sad reality is that we won't see the adapter produced again. Will the FA* series be started back up when a FF DSLR is released from Pentax? I think not...(huge shame).

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
05-25-2010, 11:19 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Hi Mike,
Dont confuse Pentax US not bringing them in or listing them and Pentax Japan not making them... two very different things.

Here is where they list it.

Cheers Neil

Other Accessories[For 645NII] : Accessories : Film Cameras : PENTAX

I guess I'll have to give them a call as I have not seen these listed on Pentax's websites nor any third party sites. Just out of curiosity, how do you know this?

Mike
05-25-2010, 11:29 PM   #12

Just out of curiosity, how do you know this?

Mike
Sure, it's listed on the English Pentax Japan's Website. But why stop there? Why not buy one from Pentax Japan's webshop?

23,625 Yen

EDIT: no, i don't believe Pentax Japan's Webshop ships overseas....
05-26-2010, 07:38 AM   #13
Forum Member

Original Poster
Thanks guys. I couldn't find Pentax Japan's webstore for some reason, but I did find it listed on Japan's accessory list. I have a contact in Japan willing to get one to me. Thanks for the help! I really appreciate it!

Mike

Last edited by mikebob; 05-26-2010 at 07:38 AM. Reason: wording change.
05-26-2010, 10:29 AM   #14
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by knumbnutz Quote
Hi Mike,
Dont confuse Pentax US not bringing them in or listing them and Pentax Japan not making them... two very different things.

Here is where they list it.

Cheers Neil

Other Accessories[For 645NII] : Accessories : Film Cameras : PENTAX
Ain't that the truth! Thanks Neil
05-26-2010, 11:19 AM   #15
Pentaxian

I was looking for a hard-to-find Pentax 67 lens here in the US. I saw it was available on the Pentax of Japan website. I called Pentax US and asked them to order it. No, they said. "...we no longer support the 67...". Where do you begin to respond to that.

So I thought I'd be clever and get from Amazon of Japan which I saw it was selling there! I emailed them and asked if I could buy from them and I'm in the US. They said sure but you need to create an account on Amazon of Japan. They gave me helpful tips of links to English versions of the their web pages and what-not. Then they concluded the message saying the following items cannot be exported out of Japan. The list was so comprehensive that they might as well said NO from the get-go. I should have saved that email but it seemed you couldn't order hardly anything, really.