Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-26-2010, 01:09 PM   #16
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

Wow Tuco... Sounds a bit like by battle over the last couple of weeks. I got the same thing from Pentax USA. Shame on them for refusing to help their CUSTOMERS! Luckily, over at APUG they pointed me to a member who is in Japan and does equipment sourcing for people. Hopefully it all works out. I'll post back if I end up with one in my hands!

Mike

QuoteOriginally posted by tuco Quote
I was looking for a hard-to-find Pentax 67 lens here in the US. I saw it was available on the Pentax of Japan website. I called Pentax US and asked them to order it. No, they said. "...we no longer support the 67...". Where do you begin to respond to that.

So I thought I'd be clever and get from Amazon of Japan which I saw it was selling there! I emailed them and asked if I could buy from them and I'm in the US. They said sure but you need to create an account on Amazon of Japan. They gave me helpful tips of links to English versions of the their web pages and what-not. Then they concluded the message saying the following items cannot be exported out of Japan. The list was so comprehensive that they might as well said NO from the get-go. I should have saved that email but it seemed you couldn't order hardly anything, really.

05-26-2010, 01:43 PM   #17
Pentaxian

I eventually got the lens through Japan Exposures. It was an okay deal; not really low price by time you pay finders fee and duty but much less than a new one. And I didn't want to wait for who-knows how long for one to hit the used market here.
05-26-2010, 03:51 PM   #18
Veteran Member

Hi Guys try a store like this.
eBay My World - matsuiyastore
They may have one and not list it or be able to find one.
Cheers
Neil
05-26-2010, 08:24 PM   #19

Another option is Tin Cheung Camera in Hong Kong. I got a new 300/4 ED from them last year just before the price rose. They list the 67-645 adapter currently for $194.

Pentax USA hasn't supported the 67 product line for at least a couple of years. They don't even service them anymore. Authorized service in now done through Crisscam in Arizona.

05-26-2010, 08:57 PM   #20
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by surfotog Quote
Another option is Tin Cheung Camera in Hong Kong. I got a new 300/4 ED from them last year just before the price rose. They list the 67-645 adapter currently for $194.

Pentax USA hasn't supported the 67 product line for at least a couple of years. They don't even service them anymore. Authorized service in now done through Crisscam in Arizona.
Support is one thing but selling a lens that is available only to their Japanese customers is another, IMHO. I tried Cheung Camera but they didn't have it available.
05-26-2010, 09:33 PM   #21

When I say support, I mean mean everything involved with the product. They simply stopped importing the 67 line from Pentax Japan several years ago, most likely due to greatly reduced demand. Pentax Japan and Pentax USA are independent entities, and Pentax USA is not obligated to sell everything Pentax Japan produces.
05-27-2010, 08:16 AM   #22
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I've seen the Tin Cheung Camera website but find it difficult to know exactly what to do to order something. How do you solve that or do you happen to be fluent in Mandarin?

05-27-2010, 01:23 PM   #23
Forum Member

Original Poster
Tin Cheung Camera looked to me to have plenty of English on it?? There's even a button at the top to switch from English to Chinese! Link with English selected.
05-27-2010, 04:44 PM   #24
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Oops, you're right - I am confusing it with this site, ??????????????????????(??,??,??,??,??)?????
05-27-2010, 08:33 PM   #25

If ordering from Tin Cheung, it's best to email them first to ensure the item you want is in stock.
05-28-2010, 08:15 AM   #26
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Smolk Quote
Oops, you're right - I am confusing it with this site, ??????????????????????(??,??,??,??,??)?????
Yup, no English on that site!
06-26-2010, 06:53 AM   #27
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Phew, I sure am glad I was able to snatch one of these for peanuts before news of the 645D came out I think I paid around 70 USD or so. And I have the 67 to K-mount adapter as well.
06-27-2010, 08:59 AM   #28

There's More...

I think Pentax medium format will increase in value for a few reasons.
  • good old supply and demand. people are certainly buying the gear, but it is no longer being manufactured. the supply from those who go digital and also choose to sell film cameras is small compared to what a manufacturer contributes.
  • Best compatibility in medium format. 645D can use all the Pentax optics, including outer bayonet mount lenses which attach on the outside of adapter 645.
  • People who buy Pentax lenses/adapters with the 645D in mind are likely to buy film bodies and backs as well.
That's my take on Pentax gear. I use a 67II and also have a 645n. They are really outstanding cameras! The 645N will accept Pentax 67 lenses with the adapter we are talking about--be advised it will accept Hasselblad CF lenses with an adapter available on eBay. With CF series you can lock the depth of preview and use stop-down metering--there are probably other Hasselblad lenses that work.

Because of the digital daze, and a temporary price crash, I was able to get some really outstanding gear and low prices. But when people buy up the cameras, they will also buy up every accessory that goes with them, including lenses, bellows units, cases, adapters, focus screens, and so forth.

In once sentence, a big supply will change to scarcity. The 645D looks like a nice rig--too expensive for me though...