Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-30-2010, 03:51 AM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Film users?

Presently threads related to film processing and conventional (wet) darkroom get lost
among the digital-related topics in Post Processing, Printing, Software and Darkroom.

IMO film users at Pentaxforums deserve a forum/subforum where we can easily find such posts.

Please add your opinion/comments to this Site Suggestions thread: Film processing and darkroom

TIA,
Chris

Last edited by ChrisPlatt; 05-30-2010 at 04:02 AM.
05-31-2010, 05:39 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
From the lack of response it looks like folks here are interested in only the 645D!

Chris
05-31-2010, 07:14 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Yes that would make sense. There could be a Menu of some sort:

Analog and hybrid Photography

* Film 135

* Film MF

* Darkroom (Development, Wet Print) / Digital Darkroom (Scanning, Digital Processing)
05-31-2010, 08:17 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Well, you posted this thread only yestarday.

On my side, while I use MF (Pentax 6x7 + vintage folding) and 35mm (Pentax super program), I'm a a lazy boy and I process everything with a pro-lab that never messed my work : Negatif Plus.

Living in Paris means that setting a darkroom is a pain and using good external service is easy.

However I understand that some people would like to speak about their darkroom habits. Good luck !

06-01-2010, 05:27 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
It's a couple of days now. I'm surprised more of you haven't responded.
Thanks to those that did.

Chris
06-01-2010, 05:48 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by ChrisPlatt Quote
It's a couple of days now. I'm surprised more of you haven't responded.
Thanks to those that did.

Chris
I'm with you.
But I don't own a Pentax MF camera so I am always reluctant to post MF questions. I work with a Mamiya C33.
I agree with your OP. I wish the discussions would not get lost.
06-01-2010, 07:33 PM   #7
Forum Member

Those of us who seriously do darkroom stuff are better served over at apug.org. I do black and white and have a fully functional darkroom. I have found as you have that this is just not the place for that good stuff

I would agree, it would be nice to have a Film Processing and Darkroom, but I just don't think the participation would be there on this site. I'll keep an eye out, but use APUG for the serious stuff and use this site for the digital.

For the record, I do love my K10D and *ist DS as well as my Pentax 6x7, 645nii, ME Super and my Speed Graphic!

Mike

06-02-2010, 02:47 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Perhaps Pentax MF doesn't have the volume of users 35mm does, and so this section tends to get lighter usage. I know I don't use mine nearly enough - though I shoot 120 on a regular basis.

My thought is to allow 120 with 35mm and have all the film processing related stuff in the film SLR section... but not kick out anything that ends up here on that topic, as sometimes it just works out better that way.
06-02-2010, 07:30 AM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
The 800 lb. Gorilla

APUG is an important resource. But I like PentaxForums, and I want film to live here too!

Chris
06-02-2010, 07:50 AM   #10
Forum Member

APUG is an important resource. But I like PentaxForums, and I want film to live here too!

Chris
Chris,
I couldn't agree more. I would certainly spend a lot more time here if there were a more active film/traditional darkroom forum. I'm just not sure it can happen with the digital crowd that hangs out here - no disrespect intended.

Mike
06-04-2010, 10:00 PM   #11

Photos: Albums
I responded on your other thread in the Site Suggestions link. I think its a great idea.
06-04-2010, 10:28 PM   #12
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Chris
Agreed. I post here and on APUG. APUG is a great resource, but the atmosphere here is a little more open. We also have greater tolerance for a hybrid film/digital workflow. We have several active members who consistently produce excellent results from their film cameras and who are very knowledgeable about materials and techniques. It only follows that we should provide the means for these people to share their expertise on the same site where their photos are posted.

Steve
06-04-2010, 10:37 PM   #13
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by mikebob Quote
Chris,
I couldn't agree more. I would certainly spend a lot more time here if there were a more active film/traditional darkroom forum. I'm just not sure it can happen with the digital crowd that hangs out here - no disrespect intended.

Mike
Most of the digital folk on this forum respect the long Pentax film tradition. I post my film shots along with my digital stuff and don't believe that I have ever had a disparaging remark based on medium alone. We do have our digital chauvinists, but they they are in the minority.

Steve
06-05-2010, 08:50 AM   #14

Chris, it seems that there are not that many MF users here (though I am around only shortly). I do agree that separate film forum would be nice, as the 645D is pretty much a camera for professionals for whom it is a tool and rich amateurs for whom it is a toy.

How many separate film forums are necessary I do not know. I am also a member on APUG (and LFF and rangefinderforum) and if I have a question to ask then I choose that forum where I have the biggest chance to get an answer. I would ask here Pentax-specific questions, but if I need some details over film development i ask at APUG or LFF.

I would just split the MF section into film and digital, or just make a separate forum for the 645D as it is a rising star and will attract more and more posts with time. At some point MF film part will be as hard to find among digital posts as it is in the "for sale" section now.
06-05-2010, 07:04 PM   #15
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Matus Quote
I would just split the MF section into film and digital, or just make a separate forum for the 645D as it is a rising star and will attract more and more posts with time. At some point MF film part will be as hard to find among digital posts as it is in the "for sale" section now.
AMEN to that. I am 120% in favor of putting 645D post with digital and not with film. At the end of the day, it is closer in use and process than from our film MF.

Cheers,

Luc