Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-31-2010, 10:23 AM   #1

Takumar 6x7 105mm getting yellowish?

Hi everyone I am a new comer of Pentax MF. Just got myself a Takumar 105mm F/2.4 for snapshot but found out the visual image through the lens is yellowish. I tried plugging my Pentax 45mm F/4 and Takumar 200mm F/4 into the camera but don't find this.

I found on web that the lens was used some element so that it decays with time and get yellow. They proposed to put the lens under sunlight or UV. Is it possible to "cure" my lens? I don't really want to get yellowish images....

05-31-2010, 01:05 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I don't believe your images will end up getting yellow, though. This same thing happens to M42 50mm Takumars quite frequently, and I don't think that had an effect on IQ.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

05-31-2010, 01:25 PM   #3
Pentaxian

The 105 Super-Takumars had this problem due to the use of high index Thorium glass. I have the SMC Takumar 105 and it has not had any yellowing issues and it is 22 years old. If the yellow does show up on film, I suggest using some of the advice given online at places like photo.net.
05-31-2010, 04:23 PM   #4
Pentaxian

As stated above, this is a known trend with this specific lens. It does not seem to lead to any particular, visible issues with the results. However, some people I believe have managed to remove the yellow by leaving the lens in sunlight (with the front and rear caps off - placed in a position in which sunlight will shine directly and evenly through the lens); it needs to be left this way for a few days apparently.

This is done entirely at your own risk by the way - I am just passing on what others have said they have done successfully.

05-31-2010, 06:16 PM   #5

Uhm... yes the yellowing does affect the pictures. Try holding it above a piece of white paper and see what colour it goes. Then try with a clear lens. If its not very severe then you will get a mild warmup effect but if its real yellow then you will get yellow pics. With B+W its obviously less noticeable... its like having a free yellow filter.
I have a 105 that is yellow too and I have tried putting it in the sun with not much results at the moment. It sat for over 3 weeks on a windowsill and then I gave up. I'll give it another go this summer when it gets more sunny.
Or if you feel like spending money, there are reports that you can get a UV lamp and accomplish the same thing.

Last edited by sumo; 05-31-2010 at 06:18 PM. Reason: Added info
05-31-2010, 09:15 PM   #6
Pentaxian

Maybe it's because the glass of the window is blocking the UV. Perhaps find a way of putting it in the sun (preferably during summer with strong sun) without glass in the way...
06-01-2010, 12:25 AM   #7

Original Poster
Thank you very much for all your opinions! I guess in this stage I'd better just try it out for one to two rolls, see what it would produce. Thanks a lot!