Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-05-2010, 10:34 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Received my Hasselblad 500C/M

Yeah I received the camera with the 80. And also the 50 and 150 purchased separately.
I ran a roll of film but no good results. The seals on the back are dead so I have light leaks on almost all the frames.
I also noticed that the flaps in the body do not close 100% one is a little bit misaligned. This one is not such a big deal.
I have ordered a set of foam from eBay to replace the seals and a bright screen also and a ClearSight replacement plate for Arca head...
I guess that at some point down the line I will send all three (body, back and 80) for TLC/CLA.
Other than that it is somewhat love at the first sight. I find the camera so practical to use simple and ergonomical that is such a great addition to my 645 and LXs.

Cheers,

Luc

06-05-2010, 11:22 PM   #2

Photos: Albums
Congratulations Luc! The Hasselblad will be a nice complement to your 645, once you get it all sorted out etc.

A 50, 80 and 150 is a nice set of focal lengths for the camera. The 50mm is one of my favorites.

I notice you have the 35mm for your P645.....that's a lens I'd really like to pick up some day. I'd like to see how it compares with my Hasselblad 40mm CFE IF.

Gary
06-05-2010, 11:45 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Congrats! Are those the chrome lenses? The flaps on the back are called the barn doors. How was the film spacing? That is something to look out for too.

Here is a link on how to Change Your Seals on the film back.
06-06-2010, 08:55 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by bensonga Quote
I notice you have the 35mm for your P645.....that's a lens I'd really like to pick up some day.
Gary
Thank you. The 35mm is a sweet lens and probably the one I used the most in the little time I have had the 645 followed by the 55mm and then the 150mm. I just received the 45mm so it might be one that I use a lot also. Curiously I noticed that I do not used very often the 75mm just like I do not use often 50mm in 135.
But I liked the 80mm on the 500, maybe it has to do with the square format?

Cheers,

Luc

06-06-2010, 09:10 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by tuco Quote
Congrats! Are those the chrome lenses? The flaps on the back are called the barn doors. How was the film spacing? That is something to look out for too.

Here is a link on how to Change Your Seals on the film back.

Hello Tuco,

Thanks for the link that is the one that made me ordered the seal instead of crying out loud
The barn door are a little bit misaligned on one side. There is a groove on each door and it does not fully close male/female.
The film alignment is almost very regular with maybe a larger space (less than 1/2mm difference) every three frames. Hopefully it is within tolerance?

Cheers,

Luc
06-06-2010, 09:22 AM   #6
Pentaxian

Having a larger space is okay. Makes it easier to cut between the frames but when the spacing starts to be almost nothing on a regular basis, then its time to get the back CLA'd. Making sure there is no slack when loading the film is good thing to keep in mind too.

It sounds like that gap in the barn doors is the source of your light leaks. When the dark slide is out, light can hit the film during focusing.
06-06-2010, 09:35 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by tuco Quote
Having a larger space is okay. Makes it easier to cut between the frames but when the spacing starts to be almost nothing on a regular basis, then its time to get the back CLA'd. Making sure there is no slack when loading the film is good thing to keep in mind too.

It sounds like that gap in the barn doors is the source of your light leaks. When the dark slide is out, light can hit the film during focusing.

I flashed a light on the side of the body on the slide opening and the light coming in the body was very obvious - a clear ray of light.

So it might be both the seal and the barn door. I assumed that the barn door was not an issue because of the lens shutter but then again maybe it is.

The space between frames is about 4mm.

Do you think that it is time for a CLA?

Cheers,

Luc
06-06-2010, 09:53 AM - 1 Like   #8
Pentaxian

4mm seems to be about the average spacing on both of my backs with an occasional larger one too.

Put on a lens, wind the camera, take the lens cap off, take the film back off and push open the bottom barn door. You'll see that you can see light from the lens under the bottom of the mirror. So with the dark slide out and while you're focusing, light has the potential to go through any gap in those doors I suspect.

The pictures in that link show what a light leak looks like from bad seals in the film back. I'd suspect that any light leaks from the barn doors would have a different signature.

EDIT: If you haven't noticed it already there is a gotcha with this camera. You need to remember to hold down the shutter button for slow shutter speeds. The barn doors will close as soon as you let up on the shutter button. That could be before the leaf shutter closes on something like 1/2 or 1 second exposures if you push down and let up like on other cameras.

Last edited by tuco; 06-06-2010 at 10:29 AM.
06-06-2010, 01:29 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Hey guys thanks a lot for all the pointers.
Tuco, I did exactly what you said and my God there is a lot of light coming through. So you are right, I think that the misaligned barn door should account for some of the leak that I have seen.
The rest I think is definitely from the seal. I again put a light on the side of the camera at the slide entrance and light is pooring in the camera box from it.

Now for the good think. I used some low tech repair skills
I pushed a little bit the barn door on the side that was not closing and low and behold it seems to close perfectly now. I ran the secondary shutter several time and it is holding in place. The doors look like new si I am somewhat hopeful.

Waiting for the seal to arrive before running another roll.

Cheers,

Luc
06-08-2010, 01:07 PM   #10
Veteran Member

woohoo join the club ... the blad is a brilliant camera
only when you start to use one can you see how all the design decisions make perfect sense. and the small size makes it very portable and easy to use.
06-20-2010, 08:11 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Light seals on back

I received the new light seal and opened the back to change it. While I was at it I also opened the back of a second back that I got at a very good price from Shutterbug.
Guess what, the seals on both backs where gone and both where installed the wrong way with the shiny part of the foam up instead of down.
Guess I need another new seal for my second back.
Looking forward to next week-end to try the back with the new seals and finally be able to use my camera.

Cheers,

Luc