Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-09-2010, 07:15 AM   #1

[langtitle=zh-CN]Using AF500TFZ and 165 F4 LS on 67NII[/langtitle]

A test comes at least 4-8 year too late but now I just got a AF500TFZ based on LL trick on day light fill flash and this statement by Paul Stenquist at

Re: 67 Mania gaining foothold, victim needs help!

"
B> 4) Can you adjust TTL flash fill via exposure compensation like you
B> can on the SuperProgram? In other words use manual metering, and adjust
B> the exposure compensation to control the flash fill?

That is also correct. However, remember that your flash synch is only
1/30th of a second. You can improve that by using the leaf shutter
lenses, but the leaf shuttter lenses are not compatible with the TTL
system."

a) TTL works

Without using the leaf shutter, I use my sekonic L-758D and F4 to F32 at 1/2 change with camera quite close to the sekonic L-758D its reading from F6.3 to F11 at 0.5s. Hence TTL seems to work when no LS there.

b) TTL at 1-1/3 works

By LL site, the trick seems to work as I adjust the adjustment but use all manual Aperture and Speed (at 1/2), the light output change

c) Flash Sync at any speed test

Based on the above statement, need to test flash would sync at speed of the LS Lens

This seems valid by the sound i.e. the first shutter seems to work with the Leaf shutter together and the flash is triggered. But it cannot be checked by my sekonic as it is a matter whether the film is fully covered. I have to test this with some slide and film tomorrow but I looked like the first part of the statement i.e. flash sync up to 1/500 should work.

d) TTL would not work with LS lens?

This is my main question. Is the TTL not work means that the flash would not cut its output when it receive enough light? Using my sekonic, I found that no matter what sync speed use i.e. 1/60 or 1/500 the output of the flash does not change. That might mean that the flash is not TTL. Perhaps there is a limit of what speed it can cut it output and 1/60 is already too fast for it.

I would test it with slide tomorrow

1) at 1/30 test flash at TTL
2) at 1/30 test flash at TTL but manual -1.3 as LL site has said in 2004 for day-light fill flash
3) test sync and assume no TTL (at 1/60, 1/125, 1/250 and 1/500) manual flash 1/32 with Sekonic to meter what aperture to use at 100%
4) test sync and assume TTL at the four speed and just let the flash plays

Sekonic would be outside the frame

Late to the party ...

P.S.

The helicord does not trigger the flash using PS Cord and as its lost auto diaphragm, it cannot TTL as well. confirmed by Sekonic.

The auto set always trick me into issues as it has auto diaphragm but not metering. However, it did TTL based on Sekonic. But one must note that if you do mirror lock up it will trigger the LS and close it. Unlike the PS code case which trigger the flash also, the flash is not trigger using TTL flash cable! Hence, as the mirror is up you may think that you are using LS shutter but in fact you have not taken any picture! Moot point as one does not use Mirror lock and LS together I guess.

BTW, Paul's second statement is not right for my NII as it does not trigger the flash via PS as the flash the LS can be trigger via normal means without the PS cable:

"B> 5) What is the highest shutter speed on the leaf shutter lens(s)? 1/500?
B> When using the leaf shutter lens does the body sync the flash correctly?

I believe that the lens is what triggers the flash via a PC cord. That
is also why you lose the TTL."

But the lost of TTL seems real.

Last edited by dng88; 06-09-2010 at 08:16 AM.
06-20-2010, 07:28 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

TTL flash with LS lenses

There is no technical reason why there can't be TTL flash with leaf shutter lenses on Pentax cameras. The market is small enough that they never made the products. I modified existing Pentax product to get TTL flash metering using my 90mmLS67 lens with adapter on a 645. I had to manually set the focal plane shutter speed to 1/8 of a second and it gave me great results.
06-21-2010, 06:24 AM   #3
K-9
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
What is the 67NII? Japan/Asia version of the 67II?
06-24-2010, 06:16 PM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by pentaxus Quote
I modified existing Pentax product to get TTL flash metering using my 90mmLS67 lens with adapter on a 645. I had to manually set the focal plane shutter speed to 1/8 of a second and it gave me great results.
What did you modify, and how?