Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-23-2010, 03:57 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
FA and A lenses

Just today, when finally paying attention to the details the 645N prints in the margin of the film, I realised that the 645 A lenses are not communicating their focal lengths to the 645N, in contrast to the 645 FA lenses.
In most cases, it's obvious which lens it is. But if you have a manual 120mm, 135mm and 150mm, well, that becomes a lot less obvious if you did not keep a notebook (had 10 films developed the other day).
At least I just sold the 150mm A lens, with pain, and for far too less, on eBay today.
I'm scanning the details now with my "new" scanner, the Screen Cezanne. Takes some getting used to but it's wonderful.

06-28-2010, 07:46 AM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Indeed this should be the expected behavior. A lenses don't contain the electronics that transmit lens data.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

06-28-2010, 07:59 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
Thanks Adam, my observation was, indeed, sort of superfluous, it's just that it only now dawned upon me. In he past, I never had so many lenses with similar focal lengths, so the problem is new to me, and in comparing lenses and their IQs it would have been helpful to be able to distinguish them better.
I also, probably, need to give up on my old habit of freezing metering on a chosen spot—because it doesn't tell me, in the data on the film, how I compensated !
07-01-2010, 08:43 PM   #4
stp

It's a problem when I'm posting a scanned image and want to provide info about the equipment used to make the photo. Some folks like to know the details. Sometimes it may be many weeks between the shutter opening and the arrival of the film from a lab. My memory isn't that good, and I often can't tell simply by looking at a transparency.