Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-01-2010, 02:28 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Any FUJI PROVIA 100F equivalents in negative film.

I am quite new to non-digital imaging, and I am getting a vintage 6X6 medium format camera.

I've narrowed down my choice of 120 film to be FUJICHROME PROVIA 100F, but then I realized it's only available for slide and not negative film.

What I need are, fine grain, good sharpness decent color accuracy and exposure lattitude.

Is there a negative film that can give me those and the look of FUJICHROME PROVIA 100F?

Thank you.

P.S: Also, any suggestions on a good place in the USA who would do a professional job in developing and providing high quality scans for 120 negatives. Price is not a factor for now.

07-01-2010, 02:42 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
1) Kodak Ektar
2) Kodak 160NC or 160VC
3) Fuji 160S or 160C
not in order of preference - I'm trying Ektar now for the first time in 120

160VC and 160C are the more 'vivid color' formulations; NC and S are 'natural color' formulas

To be honest I tend to buy the Fuji as it is cheaper than Kodak, and more often S than C
The times I've used Kodak 160NC I have been impressed

the list is here:
Roll Film

For develop + scan, Dwayne's is the way to go at a good price. Otherwise, look around for where wedding photog's get their 120 done (or ask one), if there are any left shooting 120
07-01-2010, 02:51 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
Jussi, thanks for those.

Heard the ektars are not that forgiving to expsoure errors. let me know what you think.

I'll reserach a bit more on the fuji vs kodak and pick one. Thanks!
07-01-2010, 03:14 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Ektar is bad in low light, shadows go to blu and purple :/

07-01-2010, 06:04 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Then again, slide film's also known as not forgiving.

I have had good results with Provia with my vintage 120 cameras - and Dwayne's did a good job scanning them, better perhaps than they did with my roll of Fuji 400H.

If cost is a consideration, you can look at Dwayne's pricing of dev+scan on both neg and positive films.
07-01-2010, 07:09 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Nesster Quote
1) Kodak Ektar
2) Kodak 160NC or 160VC
3) Fuji 160S or 160C
not in order of preference - I'm trying Ektar now for the first time in 120

160VC and 160C are the more 'vivid color' formulations; NC and S are 'natural color' formulas

To be honest I tend to buy the Fuji as it is cheaper than Kodak, and more often S than C
The times I've used Kodak 160NC I have been impressed

the list is here:
Roll Film

For develop + scan, Dwayne's is the way to go at a good price. Otherwise, look around for where wedding photog's get their 120 done (or ask one), if there are any left shooting 120
That would be my list of favorites, but in reverse order of preference.
07-04-2010, 06:22 PM   #7
Forum Member

"What I need are, fine grain, good sharpness decent color accuracy and exposure lattitude." - Those mentioned above are good, though the colour rendition of the Ektar rules it out for any type of portraiture, IMO. My favourites are the Fuji 160S and Kodak Portra 160NC - I use them for everything, but especially portraiture. The Kodak Portra 400NC is very good as a 400 film, and under some lighting circumstances, is difficult to distinguish from the 160.

"Is there a negative film that can give me ... the look of FUJICHROME PROVIA 100F?" Sorry to be blunt, but no. Negative film does not compare to the vivid primary colour rendition of chrome film, especially, the blues. There is nothing like viewing a landscape slide having a big blue sky with an 8X Loupe on a light table. The low ISO Velvias and Provia 100 - incomparable for landscape and outdoor architectural work. Even Provia 400 is really good and very useful at ISO400.

That is not to say that you cannot take beautiful outdoor photographs with colour negative film - I use it very often for landscapes. But whenever I do, on some level, I wish the camera had been loaded with chrome film!

Best, Alan

QuoteOriginally posted by pcarfan Quote
I am quite new to non-digital imaging, and I am getting a vintage 6X6 medium format camera.

I've narrowed down my choice of 120 film to be FUJICHROME PROVIA 100F, but then I realized it's only available for slide and not negative film.

What I need are, fine grain, good sharpness decent color accuracy and exposure lattitude.

Is there a negative film that can give me those and the look of FUJICHROME PROVIA 100F?

Thank you.

P.S: Also, any suggestions on a good place in the USA who would do a professional job in developing and providing high quality scans for 120 negatives. Price is not a factor for now.

Last edited by ARCASIA; 07-04-2010 at 07:06 PM.
07-05-2010, 02:50 PM   #8
Pentaxian

When Ektar first became available in 120 roll, I shot a few rolls to try it out. It seem to really augment the blues. Here in the Pacific NW in the spring time there is this "magic blue hour" as it's called just after sunset. You'll see this blue with a digital shot too.

Pentax 6x7, SMC 90mm, Ektar 100, Pentax Spotmeter V, Jobo C-41 Press Kit, About 8 sec exposure.

Last edited by tuco; 07-05-2010 at 07:01 PM.