Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-05-2010, 07:09 AM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Which bag for 645

Good morning folks,

I recently acquired a very nice Pentax 645 & was also fortunate enough to score a beautiful 120/F4.

I will be adding, wife permitting of course, a 35 or 45 (most probably a 45 because the 35's seem to be quite rare therefore very expensive), a 75, extension tubes & maybe a 200.

Which bag should I get to carry all this gear?

Thanks for your time,

07-05-2010, 07:23 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I carry 645, 120, 55, 35 , extra back,...in a Roots Camera Backpack Pro with room for one more lens. It is a compact backpack, well padded and modular (velcro) with strap at the bottom to attach a tripod horizontally.
Once the padding is in place nothing move and is easily accesible once the backpack is open. The drawback is that you need to put the backpack on the ground. In Canada it retails for less than $99 at Henry's.

I can also carry 150, 75, 45 + back or 150, 75, 55,35 plus back,.......
If look at focal length/estimated FOV the 45/75/150 or 35/55/120 seem to be the most evenly spaced i.e. about the same difference in degree between them.

If you look at filter size then:
120/45 = 67mm (tempting for a two lenses setup)
150/75/55 = 58mm
35 = 77mm

So far I like the 35, 55 and 45 the most and 75 the least but in 35mm I do not specially use the 50mm range either so it is just me not the lens.

Cheers,

Luc
07-06-2010, 09:37 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I have the Lowepro Fastback 350, which fits the 645 with three additional lenses (35, 75, 150 and 55 on camera), a flash unit and two additional film inserts in the camera section (the top section is not padded, but useful for pen, pencils, and etc). It also has room for a laptop, so all in all a versatile backpack. One could add the 120 or 200 and put the film inserts in the top half.

It can be used as a sling by removing the band from my right shoulder, swinging the pack to the front over my left side, and opening it for the camera. The only thing is that you cannot easily change lenses that way.
Nor does it have a real position for a tripod.

Because the weather is uncannily hot for England, I have just ordered the Think Tank Retrospective 20. It is a shoulder bag, which will be less hot in this weather, and allow for easier lens changes too. It will, I assume, hold all of the above apart from the laptop.

But I'm holding on to my Lowepro all the same! Unless it turns out, in a year's time, I'm not using it.
07-06-2010, 02:56 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I had thought I had the perfect bag for my 645--and it was free. My K-x came from Adorama with some useless accessories and a very nicely sized bag called a "slinger." It had a waist belt and a nice sling strap, and the interior was perfect for a 645 and three lenses, while the outside pocket easily held two extra inserts and some rolls of film.

There was only one catch--first the waist strap tore off, and then the D-ring for the sling strap tore out of the bag. It's too bad this was so cheaply made, because you could not have designed this bag better for the 645.

07-06-2010, 03:38 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Pentakumar Quote
Good morning folks,

Which bag should I get to carry all this gear?
This might work:
07-06-2010, 04:02 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thank you all for the advice.
I'll check these out for sure.

Well maybe not the donkey...
07-06-2010, 05:31 PM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Pentakumar Quote
Thank you all for the advice.
I'll check these out for sure.

Well maybe not the donkey...
It's a mule...
Watch out some people are very specific about their pack animals....

Cheers,

Luc

07-08-2010, 09:43 PM   #8
Veteran Member

I took a couple of quick shots to illustarte the way I have my Roots bags arranged.
One is for the Hasselblad with 50/80/150, the other for 645 with 35/55/120. I have three of these bags...

Last edited by lbenac; 12-18-2010 at 08:39 AM.
07-09-2010, 07:10 AM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
I must say Luc, that your bag is a perfect fit!

Thanks for the photographs.
07-09-2010, 12:19 PM   #10
Forum Member

I currently have a Lowepro Mini-Trekker AW that has worked faithfully for many years and it shows no signs of wearing out. I have my 6x7 (with lens -90mm LS, extra lens -55mm and grip), 645NII (with lens -75mm and 2 backs), digital spotmeter and various accessories in it. That is probably stretching it a bit, but it is just storing them right now. I also have a great hip belt bag that holds one medium format camera or two 35mm/digital cameras and a lens or two. I can get the name if anybody is interested.

Finally, I have a Naneau Pro K3L backpack that I absolutely loved for hiking/mountain climbing, but I would steer clear as the build quality and customer service is seriously lacking.