Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-13-2010, 12:48 AM   #16
Inactive Account

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
Seems I was wanting a 220 back, However looking at the disadvantages of no paper backing throughout the whole roll is a problem for some (light leaks), or so I have read. I think I will stick to 120 mainly for the reason I cant change film mid roll so 15 exp. will have to do. They should make 5 exp rolls, LOL like bracket shooting but in film, just grab a new back and unlock it, yer good to go! For the kind of work I do, there are lots of changes in lights, So film speed changes will have to be a concern. I have become spoiled with Digital. Too bad there isnt a digital back one could put on a old 645.

07-13-2010, 09:58 AM   #17
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by akfreak Quote
...Too bad there isnt a digital back one could put on a old 645.
A 645D would be cheaper!

Steve
07-13-2010, 10:06 AM   #18
Pentaxian

I think I will stick to 120 mainly for the reason I cant change film mid roll so 15 exp. will have to do. They should make 5 exp rolls, LOL like bracket shooting but in film, just grab a new back and unlock it, yer good to go!
If hot-swapping backs is important in your shooting, maybe you should consider a MF camera that does that. I can say first-hand that it is sweet
07-13-2010, 10:31 AM   #19
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by tuco Quote
If hot-swapping backs is important in your shooting, maybe you should consider a MF camera that does that. I can say first-hand that it is sweet

Oh, you mean something like my 4x5???

Steve

(Could not resist chiming in while you gloat on your status as a Hassy owner...)

07-13-2010, 10:38 AM   #20
Veteran Member

I too officially hate you now!

Naw, just kidding... Congrats on such a great great deal. The few pawn shops near me couldn't spell Pentax if they had a box in front of them.

Mike
07-13-2010, 12:52 PM   #21
Inactive Account

Original Poster
@MRRiley<---------------- a funny man! I bet they can spell point and shoot, as this is all most of them have to offer.

@tuco Hot swapping isnt a huge deal for me, I havent even shot my first roll thru it. However I was just thinking about my style of digital photography and how ISO speeds are somthing I change frequently,. In film I will just have to plan better and think more before I shoot. Getting my kids to sit still is going to be a challenge, LOL
07-13-2010, 01:16 PM   #22
Pentaxian

@tuco Hot swapping isnt a huge deal for me, I havent even shot my first roll thru it. However I was just thinking about my style of digital photography and how ISO speeds are somthing I change frequently,. In film I will just have to plan better and think more before I shoot. Getting my kids to sit still is going to be a challenge, LOL
Yeah, the instant choice of ISO on a modern cameras is a sweet deal and being stuck with only one ISO per roll takes some getting use to. But one thing is that you don't have to shoot the whole roll up if you really, really need something else loaded. And note in the case of BW film, you do have latitude and easily get the rated speed plus double it on the same roll.

07-13-2010, 03:34 PM   #23
Forum Member

I hate to advocate waste but I just leave the lens cap on and run through the rest of the roll when I want a different type of film. With color and B&W film running between $4 and 7 you will have to use a lot of film to pay for that extra back.

The way I shoot anyway is bracket (X3 shots) and take a couple of different angles and apertures and all of a sudden the 15 exposures are gone.

As an alternative you can, at today's prices, just buy another 645 body and insert.

Even after I get the 645D (did I just say that?), I will always carry a back up 645 anyway.

Warren
07-13-2010, 03:35 PM   #24
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by MetaD Quote
I love the way the P645 rockets to the next frame. Such a satisfying ka-chunk-a.
The very reason I sold mine!

It's too bad Pentax never considered offering a quieter, non-motorized advance option...

Chris
07-13-2010, 09:06 PM   #25

Quiet vs noisy shutter....

Yeah, it would be interesting to get a Leica shutter sound out of the Pentax 645, and I know what you mean about the meditative sensation of a physical advance lever, but....

I feel like a real photographer, when the shutter hits, the mirror goes up, and the film advances. I suspect that most of the noise is the film advance. The noise is fun as fun; more practically, I like the fact that there is no corresponding recoil, giving me confidence that the mirror slap is properly counter-balanced.
07-31-2010, 11:44 PM   #26
Veteran Member

Congrats on your purchase and let's see some shots!

I had similar luck getting mine, from a studio portrait photographer who went digital and hadn't used the camera since 2003. He gave me a nice deal and even shipped it to a friend so I could pick up locally. This friend, another portrait photog, tossed in a few rolls of film for free for me

My kit includes the manual 55/2.8, 75/2.8, 150/3.5 and Takumar 105/2.4 (from the Pentax 67 system w/ 645 adapter). I need to shoot a lot more ... but you can find some samples if you search my posts.
08-02-2010, 04:03 AM   #27

Rewind Question

OP - Did you ever get a good answer on the rewind? It's simple. There is no rewind. It just winds all the way from one spool to the other and you're done. When you take it out secure the exposed roll. To load a new one switch the empty spool to the top and start again.
08-02-2010, 08:35 PM   #28
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Dubesor Quote
Congrats on your purchase and let's see some shots!

I had similar luck getting mine, from a studio portrait photographer who went digital and hadn't used the camera since 2003. He gave me a nice deal and even shipped it to a friend so I could pick up locally. This friend, another portrait photog, tossed in a few rolls of film for free for me
Similar deal here. I believe my 645, 4 lenses and 3 backs were less than $400. It was well used, but well cared for, and a great deal.
08-04-2010, 04:34 AM   #29
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Portland Pete Quote
OP - Did you ever get a good answer on the rewind? It's simple. There is no rewind. It just winds all the way from one spool to the other and you're done. When you take it out secure the exposed roll. To load a new one switch the empty spool to the top and start again.
Yep I got it down. I am starting to learn how to develop my film and make prints, I have a whole darkroom now. It seems I have a crappy P&B condenser enlarger, I need to get a (0mm Lens as the 50mm is for 35 MM. My easel sucks, I am just batting a thousand, However I am going to look at a Devere 504 with color head all of the goodies in the morning. Thanks for the feedback, 16 shots goes fast, So it hasn't mean a big deal yet. Finding HC110 and some fixer locally has been though. Having my chems sent in this week for sure. I hand 20 boxes of various paper so plenty of learning to do
08-04-2010, 04:45 AM   #30
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Darn, and me just coming back from Vegas. I should have visited the pawn shops...