Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-11-2010, 12:46 AM   #1
Inactive Account

Photos: Albums
New to 645, Where are the tutorials?

I know meduim and large format has been reserved to the pros. Hoever, I think many people will be moving to medium format as we see the prices go down, when we can buy a DMF camera for under 5k this will take over, People will throw rocks at d-3, 1D's. ecttt 35mm sensors ans crop sensors cant get it done when you need Large images with spectacular detail.

Anyways, where can a Total newbie go to be taught how to load / unload film, all of the basic SOP fr Med format photography using a 645. The manulas back then are just as worthless as now!

07-11-2010, 02:00 AM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by akfreak Quote
I know meduim and large format has been reserved to the pros. Hoever, I think many people will be moving to medium format as we see the prices go down, when we can buy a DMF camera for under 5k this will take over, People will throw rocks at d-3, 1D's. ecttt 35mm sensors ans crop sensors cant get it done when you need Large images with spectacular detail.

Anyways, where can a Total newbie go to be taught how to load / unload film, all of the basic SOP fr Med format photography using a 645. The manulas back then are just as worthless as now!
In this thread, I hope! I wish I could help right now, but I don't have my 645 handy and thus can't describe the process

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

07-11-2010, 09:59 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Here is the manual, two sources, should answer most of your questions
Pentax 645 instruction manual, user manual, free PFD camera manuals

http://www.pentaximaging.com/files/manual/645.pdf
07-11-2010, 10:01 AM   #4
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
In this thread, I hope! I wish I could help right now, but I don't have my 645 handy and thus can't describe the process
Thanks Adam, I know you would help if you could.

@ Nesster, I have the original manual and it doesn't help me very much at all when it comes to film removal

07-11-2010, 05:59 PM - 1 Like   #5
Veteran Member

Pentax 645N 120 Film Loading - Photo.net Medium Format Forum
07-12-2010, 11:07 AM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

@Nesster

Great narration on that one. I had to chuckle a little as the guy fumbled with getting the spools and film oriented properly in the holder. (So it isn't only me...) For the OP, the challenge is to remember that the black side of the paper faces the lens. The other important thing is that the big "start" arrows should line up opposite the index marks on the holder.

Steve
07-12-2010, 01:16 PM   #7
Veteran Member

As far as film removal - the P645 advances the roll so the free end is at the take up spool. Take off the film insert, flip the arm to release the spool with the exposed film. You'll see there's a separate bit of paper, either self-sticky or lickable. You simply roll the end of the paper tight on the spool, bend under the narrow bit, and seal the whole thing with that little paper band.

That's it - you can now take it / mail it to your photo finisher.

If you develop yourself, in a dark bag or dark room, break the paper holding things together and start unraveling the paper backing... till you reach the film, this end is free. I use a plastic reel, so I simply roll the film onto the reel while the paper goes on its own. The far end of the film has tape attaching it to the paper backing - I just tear that off. Once in the reel, proceed with development.
07-12-2010, 01:23 PM   #8
Inactive Account

Original Poster
thanks, I am just noe seeing your last post. I saw the youtube clip on loading film a while back, I did follow, Now as to the removal I read the manual, over and over until I thiought I clearly understood. I unlocked the holder, and just fliped up the retainer on the take up spool, and used the little tab that says peel here to hold the film tight, I wrapped it in alum. foil and ziplocked it, out it in the fridge. This is the roll that came with the camera, I took the last 6 or so pictutres, I may pay for the film to me processed, however it may be a total waste. \

The guy thayt said it auto rewinds had me confused, Maybe the N version rewinds, nbut the 645 just moves from the film roll to the take up spool. I removed the film moved the empty spool over to take up position now I am ready to buy some film. Any suggestions on cheap starter film

07-12-2010, 02:25 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I think that the rewind comment was a bit of a mistake. I think the poster meant that the film automatically winds to the end after the last frame.

In regards to high value 120 film choices:

B&W
  • Fuji Neopan Acros 100 at under $3.00 USD per roll
  • Arista.EDU Ultra 100/400 at under $2.50 USD per roll (re-labled Fomapan 100, buy from Freestyle)

Color Negative
  • Kodak Ektar 100 at about $4.00 USD or less per roll
  • Fujicolor Pro 160C at less than $4.00 USD per roll
  • Fujicolor Pro 400H at less than $4.00 USD per roll
  • Any other of a number of Kodak and Fuji at less than $5.00 USD per roll
  • Drugstore film, if you can find it...

Color Slide
  • Any number of Fuji products at less that $5.00 per roll

I usually buy from Freestyle or Adorama or from the local camera store if I am in the neighborhood.

Steve

Last edited by stevebrot; 07-12-2010 at 02:33 PM.
07-12-2010, 03:19 PM   #10
Inactive Account

Original Poster
i dont know the difference in films_ Like what is color negative vs color slide. I remember my father devloping negatives from 35mm roll film, all B&W stuff . He also sent stuff out to have slides made for a projector. So I am going to take a stab here and guess

Slide film is used to make slides for a Viewer or a projector. Color Negative is Color film that is used to be processed with an enlarger and it is just a color version of B&W film.

I want to use my new camera, I want to take some color portraits of my children, Is ther some better films for skin tone vs vivid type of films for landscape work. Lastly I would like to say thanks for helping me understand, I am not here to be spoon fed, just pointed in the right direction. Thanks to all who have responded, this forum is an invalueable asset.
07-12-2010, 03:57 PM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Shoot color negative films if you want to learn in color and want prints. If you were shooting 35mm, I would point you to Kodak Gold 200 or Gold 400. Unfortunately, these are considered to be consumer-grade films and are not available in 120 size rolls. You might want to try the Fujicolor Pro 400H or Kodak Portra 400NC for the extra film speed (remember, no shake reduction with film cameras). Beyond that Fujicolor Pro 160C might be a good choice at 1/3 the ISO, but hand-holding will be a little more of a challenge.

Steve
07-13-2010, 12:58 AM   #12
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
Shoot color negative films if you want to learn in color and want prints. If you were shooting 35mm, I would point you to Kodak Gold 200 or Gold 400. Unfortunately, these are considered to be consumer-grade films and are not available in 120 size rolls. You might want to try the Fujicolor Pro 400H or Kodak Portra 400NC for the extra film speed (remember, no shake reduction with film cameras). Beyond that Fujicolor Pro 160C might be a good choice at 1/3 the ISO, but hand-holding will be a little more of a challenge.

Steve
Does fast film speeds= grain in MF same as 35mm. I plan to use a tripod with 100 asa to 400, then up from 400 I will handhold. I want to buy about 10 rolls to start. I guess I have a lot of homework to do. Thanks
07-13-2010, 09:56 AM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by akfreak Quote
Does fast film speeds= grain in MF same as 35mm. I plan to use a tripod with 100 asa to 400, then up from 400 I will handhold. I want to buy about 10 rolls to start. I guess I have a lot of homework to do. Thanks
I don't have any experience with ISO 400 films in 120 so I can't comment directly regarding grain, though I can tell you that grain is not as much of an issue as with 35mm. There are a few forum users that shoot the newer ISO 400 films in MF. Perhaps they will weigh in with their opinions. The best thing to do is to shoot a few rolls and see how you like the results.

Steve
07-13-2010, 12:53 PM   #14
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Thanks Steve, sounds like good advice.
07-14-2010, 03:35 AM   #15
Veteran Member

I shoot 400 film - color and b&w as well. The color grain remains unobtrusive, much less than with 35mm, and the same goes for b&w.
Some samples are in the 'post your medium format photos' thread - right on page 1 there are pics with 400 speed films - and on the next page as well, and so on. We encourage people to list the film used, so you can browse through and see what you like.

Some samples from the first few pages
BW400CN
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-medium-format-645-6x7-645d/87027-p...tml#post885677
Tri-X pushed +1
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-medium-format-645-6x7-645d/87027-p...tml#post897017
Provia 400NC
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-medium-format-645-6x7-645d/87027-p...tml#post913306
Rollei R3 at 800
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-medium-format-645-6x7-645d/87027-p...tml#post993528
Fuji 400H
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-medium-format-645-6x7-645d/87027-p...ml#post1035722
Neopan 400
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-medium-format-645-6x7-645d/87027-p...ml#post1079725

Last edited by Nesster; 07-14-2010 at 03:57 AM.