Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-14-2010, 08:20 PM   #1

Photos: Gallery | Albums
645D now touring Australia! Coming to a store near you soon...

I saw the thread about it appearing in Melbourne in June - well its now going around to a pile of camera shops across the country before the orders are stocked.

Quite coincidentally I popped into my local shop here in Adelaide today for something unrelated to Pentax products and BAM there was the 645D badboy! The guys in the shop took it straight over to their local Pentaxian nerd (bastards, why must they mock me?! hehe) to give me a go.

Was much lighter than I expected. Thought the SDM lens was pretty quick too. A few quick test shots and zooming in to see the details, it was looking pretty sweet. Really big bright view finder too.

I know that this shop will be getting one in and sounds like quite a few stores will be doing the same. Will be interesting to see how well it does in sales...

07-14-2010, 09:07 PM   #2
Inactive Account

Great! I'm hoping to get one as soon as I get my next major photo project to help pay for it... If anyone knows where one can be tested out in SE Queensland I'd love to try before I buy My FA 645 35mm lens is anxiously waiting to mount the 645D!
07-14-2010, 09:20 PM   #3

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Markos007 Quote
Great! I'm hoping to get one as soon as I get my next major photo project to help pay for it... If anyone knows where one can be tested out in SE Queensland I'd love to try before I buy
If it hasnt already been in QLD, I'd suggest talking to your local Pentax rep/G Kennedy/local store - sounded like this one was literally touring the country's stores and its currently the only one here.
07-17-2010, 03:41 PM   #4

seconded if it can be found out when it will be SEQ i'll have to try and make the trip.

Rohan

07-17-2010, 10:16 PM   #5

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by thecodthemullet Quote
seconded if it can be found out when it will be SEQ i'll have to try and make the trip.

Rohan

do it!
its made me want to at least get an old 645 film body!
07-17-2010, 10:31 PM   #6
Inactive Account

I contacted one of the Pentax dealers (Photo Continental, in Brisbane) & they replied:

"Once the camera arrives in the country we will be
sourcing a demonstration model. ETA from CR Kennedy
is mid September for arrival in country.
Saw camera at the PMA Melbourne and looked pretty good.
Prices should be competitive with world market."

I also spoke to Vanbar Imaging & they said they're already taking orders and it would only take a few days to get it shipped, they've got it on special for AU$10,890 ex. GST!!
I'm tempted, but I really want to test it first - and analyze the raw files etc...
08-01-2010, 12:45 AM   #7

Photos: Albums
Saw it list at Dirt Cheap Cameras
Cheap PENTAX 645D 40 MEGA PIXEL MEDIUM FORMAT DSLR Camera Dirt Cheap Cameras

08-04-2010, 06:24 PM   #8
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by Markos007 Quote
ETA from CR Kennedy
is mid September for arrival in country.
It looks like it's arrived one month early... they've invited me to test it next week!
If anyone else in SE Qld is interested to try out the 645D just contact PhotoContinental in Brisbane to organise a demo (I think only between 9th-13th August 2010), they said it's ok to attach your own lenses & save shots to memory card...
08-05-2010, 10:38 PM   #9

Sweet, I have that week off too. I've been meaning to take a look at that store so now's the perfect opportunity. Best leave the credit card at home.
08-08-2010, 12:54 AM   #10
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by MickB Quote
Best leave the credit card at home.
LOL! If you have access to funds while the 645D is in your hands; it's probably a 100% chance of purchase... I'm going to leave my whole wallet at home

BTW, I think the demo is done by CR Kennedy's (ie. Pentax Australia), so booking a time with PhotoContinental is required (ask for Greg or Jason).

Cheers
08-08-2010, 11:08 PM   #11
Inactive Account

Some unfortunate news for anyone wishing to see the 645D in Brisbane this week, it only made a short visit... although I was lucky enough to do a hands-on test this morning (and it was magic!) but I couldn't keep any images from this Australian prototype model.

I fitted my 645 FA 35mm lens & compared it with my 5D mkII with Zuiko 21mm lens (the FOV in each shot was roughly similar) & yes; after seemingly infinitely zooming in on the images, the 645D is a winner!
08-09-2010, 12:18 AM   #12
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Thanks for sharing markos - I'm sure we'd all love a hands-on run but third-hand info's good too!
08-09-2010, 01:07 AM   #13
Inactive Account

No probs... I think this camera will be a bigger hit than Canons' 5D, go Pentax!
Now we all just have to find some extra dough to pay for it...:ugh:

It only looks bulky & heavy; but you can actually shoot one handed if you needed to (try doing this with a Hassey H3D-39...!) They've hit the nail on the head with this weather-sealed 'compact' medium-format digital
Although you can actually get one already from Japan, the benefit of waiting to buy from an Australian distributor is the possibility that they might be offering upgrade options on inevitable future releases (like Hasselblad do with their systems).
08-09-2010, 11:43 PM   #14

Yeah I went down for a look today but the lackey said the rep had been and gone taking the camera with him.

Almost walked out of there with a neon yellow Holga though!
08-10-2010, 09:53 PM   #15
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Wow, bigger than the 5D?
That's a big claim.
But hey, I'd love to see Pentax succeed with this cam.