Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-22-2010, 09:42 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
67II Frame Spacing Issue

Hi,

Just got a 67II which was supposed to replace my 6x7 MLU (currently in the market place), but after I shot through my first test roll, I quickly saw there was a problem.

As you can see (sorry for the bad iPhone pic), the frame spacing continues to get wider and wider as if the camera is ignoring what frame it's shooting. I've heard dead batteries can cause a similar issue, but the battery is alive and well and counted up to 10 frames without a problem. Yet, I only got 8 and 1/3 frames in this 120 roll.

Sooo, I'm thinking this'll probably have to go to Colorado to have it fixed... the question is, has anybody gotten anything like this repaired on the 67II?? How much do you think I'm looking at?

Thanks for any help..

07-22-2010, 10:39 PM   #2
Pentaxian

This is a very common problem with the 6x7s, though usually it is overlapping or small frame spacing that is the issue.
It shouldn't be a hugely expensive repair, since it is actually a very simple and minor adjustment of the advance clutch.
07-22-2010, 11:45 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Wheatfield Quote
This is a very common problem with the 6x7s, though usually it is overlapping or small frame spacing that is the issue.
It shouldn't be a hugely expensive repair, since it is actually a very simple and minor adjustment of the advance clutch.
Thanks for the input; however, do you think this is the same issue?

This isn't "erratic" frame spacing. The spacing gets larger and larger towards the end, which suggests to me that the camera/winder isn't compensating for the take up spool getting thicker and thicker. From what I gather, the film counter should be communicating to the windeup mechanism just how much it should turn for each frame, depending on (a) the type of film that is being used (120 vs. 220), and (b) what frame you are currently on.

The frame counter itself is working perfectly; which means there's some kind of communication error. I don't think it's a matter of slightly adjusting something (to make overlapping frames go away or shorten the spacing when its too wide), but rather something more electronic, between the frame counter and the winder.
07-23-2010, 09:34 AM   #4
Pentaxian

Anything that isn't as it should be is erratic. In your camera, the clutch appears to be too tight.
I'd be very surprised if it is an electronic problem.

07-23-2010, 11:02 AM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Wheatfield Quote
Anything that isn't as it should be is erratic. In your camera, the clutch appears to be too tight.
I'd be very surprised if it is an electronic problem.
Is there a slip clutch for the takeup spool of a 67II?

I've seen the faulty-takeup-spool-clutch-causes-erratic-frame-spacing problem on the older 67, but my impression is that the film transport on the 67II works quite differently, using an electronic rotary encoder to measure film travel and some other electromechanical bits to stop the film transport once the film has traveled the distance of one frame.

At least this is what I recall from my discussions with the local repair guy.
07-23-2010, 11:44 AM   #6
Pentaxian

If that's the case, then it would definitely be a trip to the repair shop. I figured that they probably hadn't done much with the film transport other than put a motor onto it.
07-23-2010, 12:32 PM   #7
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
FWIW, and it isn't much, I've found 6x7 backs for the RB67 also to be somewhat erratic in that the frame spacing is not nearly as consistent as in 135 or 645. It is an annoyance in cutting the strips for scanning or once in a while, I'm cheated out of a frame; however, if the frames are overlapping, then there is a real problem that needs to be fixed.
07-24-2010, 10:56 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks guys for all your input. To the repair shop it went. To my surprise, it wasn't Colorado but Arizona (when did that happen?). Fortunately, the seller agreed to foot the bill for the repair. Still, it would be nice if it didn't cost a fortune.

12-04-2010, 04:24 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Just to follow up; the cam came back from Arizona, the repair/CLA cost $200, and now it's like new. I love this camera! :-D
05-01-2011, 05:12 AM   #10
Inactive Account

And? What was the problem then?

Very curious to know.

Anton
05-05-2011, 10:43 PM - 1 Like   #11
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by antonroland Quote
And? What was the problem then?

Very curious to know.

Anton

It was the winder. Didn't say anything specific.