Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-23-2010, 12:33 AM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Compatibility of 67 lenses with K bodies

I have been searching this site for some posts regarding the compatibility of the 67or 67ii lenses with a K body camera system. I found an adapter for the 67 lenses, but no information on how the two marry up. There is a rental store here in Hong Kong that rents the 67 series lenses, so it would be quite a nice boon for me to be able to rent some of these lenses for photo outings. Anyone have any thoughts, and experience with this pairing?
I am currently using a k10D body.

07-23-2010, 02:53 AM   #2
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by keruili Quote
I have been searching this site for some posts regarding the compatibility of the 67or 67ii lenses with a K body camera system. I found an adapter for the 67 lenses, but no information on how the two marry up. There is a rental store here in Hong Kong that rents the 67 series lenses, so it would be quite a nice boon for me to be able to rent some of these lenses for photo outings. Anyone have any thoughts, and experience with this pairing?
I am currently using a k10D body.
There it a genuine 67 to K adapter from Pentax but you have to bare in mind that the lens would be manual only (like M42)

There is a shift adapter coming from Zoerk, which allows to use those lenses as shift lenses (and allows to shift more than a bit) The adapter is quite expensive though.

The cheaper adapters from 3rd parties have a bug, they will accept only lenses with a male bayonet, but in fact the 6x7 mount have 2 bayonets, one internal (most lenses are this way) which work like the K-mount and one external which is used from lenses like the 600mm/F4.

Guillaume
07-23-2010, 08:29 AM   #3
Pentaxian

A 67 and 67II lens is one and the same. I have a 3rd party 67 to K adapter I got for the likelihood of attaching my 67 lens baby to a 135 camera. I don't know why I wasted my money on that idea - both the lens baby and the adapter.

The "bug" of a 3rd party adapter is not much of a problem because it would really be an exercise of novelty to haul around a monster 67 600mm lens when you could get the same results and simplify your life with a 35mm lens of the same focal length.

As far as compatibility, yes, I've been able to attach 67 lenses to my K-7. But I don't do it. I don't see the practicality of hauling around large 67 lenses just to shoot my K-7 in manual mode when I could do that much more conveniently using one of my 35mm M or A lenses and get the same results.

Last edited by tuco; 07-23-2010 at 08:59 AM.
07-23-2010, 09:32 AM   #4
Pentaxian

+1 to tuco's post.
I have the genuine Pentax 67-K adapter. It works as advertised, I can mount any of my 9 67 lenses onto a K-mount camera.
I just haven't figured out why I would want to.

07-23-2010, 10:15 AM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thanks for the info! I agree, heavy lenses are a pain to haul around, but I don't have any high quality lenses and this will give me the option of renting them.
If you ever make your way to Hong Kong I can already tell you you better be ready to get snowed under by the Nikon/Canon blizzard that has this city in its frosty grip. There are some reputable stores that actually know what Pentax is and do not try to flog their N's and C's, but they are the rarity.
07-28-2010, 04:04 AM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by tuco Quote
A 67 and 67II lens is one and the same. I have a 3rd party 67 to K adapter I got for the likelihood of attaching my 67 lens baby to a 135 camera. I don't know why I wasted my money on that idea - both the lens baby and the adapter.

The "bug" of a 3rd party adapter is not much of a problem because it would really be an exercise of novelty to haul around a monster 67 600mm lens when you could get the same results and simplify your life with a 35mm lens of the same focal length.

As far as compatibility, yes, I've been able to attach 67 lenses to my K-7. But I don't do it. I don't see the practicality of hauling around large 67 lenses just to shoot my K-7 in manual mode when I could do that much more conveniently using one of my 35mm M or A lenses and get the same results.
QuoteOriginally posted by Wheatfield Quote
+1 to tuco's post.
I have the genuine Pentax 67-K adapter. It works as advertised, I can mount any of my 9 67 lenses onto a K-mount camera.
Well infact, I take it the way round. I basically use my K20D as a lightmeter for my 6x7. It was a bit of a disapointment when I found out I couldn't connect my K20D with my 600/f4. I do the measurment now with the DA70/2.4 ltd, it works fine.

But being able to take a sample from the 600 with my K20d and check for exposure would definitively be a plus. Granted, only the very central area would be covered and it takes time. But the photography I do with my 6x7 + 600mm cannot really be called "instant photography".

Anyway, owning the adter to K mount only make sense when the K body is a secondary body (compared to 645 or 6x7) or when the adpater is a shift adapter.

I couldn't find a tilt adapter, but I think it is possible to do.
07-28-2010, 08:12 AM   #7
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by ghelary Quote
Well infact, I take it the way round. I basically use my K20D as a lightmeter for my 6x7. It was a bit of a disapointment when I found out I couldn't connect my K20D with my 600/f4. I do the measurment now with the DA70/2.4 ltd, it works fine.
A light meter, a spot meter or TTL prism meter would be so much more convenient than hauling around another camera just for a meter when you are carrying a 67 600mm plus an industrial-strength tripod I'd think you'd want to minimize what you have. But I guess you only haul that lens from short car location distance anyway?
07-28-2010, 10:35 AM   #8
Pentaxian

A light meter, a spot meter or TTL prism meter would be so much more convenient than hauling around another camera just for a meter when you are carrying a 67 600mm plus an industrial-strength tripod I'd think you'd want to minimize what you have. But I guess you only haul that lens from short car location distance anyway?
It would probably be a much more accurate meter as well.
Some people like to complicate things.

07-28-2010, 11:48 AM   #9
Pentaxian

Yeah, if that K20D was mounted on the 67 600mm, it would be metering a FOV of looking through a 900mm at the scene. Yet the P67 will be seeing a 35mm equivalent of around 300mm of the scene. That could be a big difference for some scenes and almost a leap of faith to trust transferring the K20D's exposure to the P67. So good thing it doesn't fit.

Last edited by tuco; 07-28-2010 at 12:46 PM.
07-28-2010, 01:01 PM   #10
Pentaxian

+1 to tuco's post.
I usually pull-out some monster 67 tele at events when there's lots of competition around
Other than that, there's no advantage whatsoever if you didn't own any of the glass beforehand.
Though the 165mm coupled with 1.7x AF makes its way on my K mount quite often.
07-29-2010, 01:23 AM   #11
Veteran Member

Well, I use a video bag with a trolley for city shots with a different perspective. The K20D is marginal weight against the rest of the setup, so I don't really care.

@ Wheatfield : I'm not sure how an handheld lightmeter would be more accurate than the histogram from a digital camera, even though it's only very central measurement, you can point the camera to the zone you want to meter against.

Anyway, to tell the truth, I have been too lazy to shop for an handheld lightmeter. Now that I have a zeiss folding camera, I found myself needing more such a lightmeter, given that the built-in lightmeter is basically useless in low light (the lens open at 4, and with 120 you can push the film quite a bit)

On a side note, I scored the 600mm/F4 for 900 with shipping. It in an excellent shape. I doubt I could score any recent 600mm for that price. Sure up to 200/300mm it's better to get M42 Takumars if you're looking for bargains, but above, you can find pettry sweet deal with the 6x7 systems. If you need the focal lens and don't have the money.
07-29-2010, 06:59 AM   #12
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by ghelary Quote

@ Wheatfield : I'm not sure how an handheld lightmeter would be more accurate than the histogram from a digital camera, even though it's only very central measurement, you can point the camera to the zone you want to meter against.

Point meter at subject, take reading.
Transfer reading to camera.
Take picture.
We've done this for a half century or more without DSLR histograms with amazing accuracy.

My question is I don't know how the histogram from a DSLR would be more accurate than a good light meter?
07-29-2010, 10:46 PM   #13
Pentaxian

A histogram on a digital is calibrated for how many stops of light? Is it the same as the film? If not and less, what good is the unit-less graph of information when it says under or over exposed, I wonder.
07-30-2010, 03:01 AM   #14
Veteran Member

A histogram on a digital is calibrated for how many stops of light? Is it the same as the film? If not and less, what good is the unit-less graph of information when it says under or over exposed, I wonder.
An histogram of camera recordes the luminance level of every pixel in the picture and count them for every value available (depends on how man bits an image is recorded) So the range of stops in an history is by definition the dynamic range of the digital camera at this given iso setting.

For example, at 100 iso, dynamic range is 11Ev at 100 iso, 9 at 800 iso. source So from 100iso to 800iso, you get about 5Ev on each side of the histogram.

There's no callibration for an histogram, it's just a number crunshing of a recorded digital image. To make a perfect use of it as a lightmeter for film, one would have to know as well the dynamic in Ev of the film used and take into account that the sensitivity curve is not linear. Anyway, it's possible to read an histogram and to find at which level have been recorded certain parts of an image. From that it's possible to draw conclusion on which level of exposure we can set a camera to get a "balanced" exposure (I mean there to your take)

While I know that there are some lightmeter measuring ambiant light and some measuring incident light down to 1 of solid angle, when you want to check for the light incoming from a specific element of the decorum, getting a digital image first and checking for exposure is not that all sutpid.

I know that the process I described above is quite anal, but my point was just to that a digital camera do make a descent incident light meter, and that the histogram can be useful to calculate exposure on a very precise fashion.

And I do agree, that a handheld lightmeter is enough in 99.99% of situations, as I just said above I'm just too lazy at the moment to buy one.
07-30-2010, 10:22 AM   #15
Pentaxian

Thanks.

QuoteQuote:
For example, at 100 iso, dynamic range is 11Ev at 100 iso, 9 at 800 iso. source So from 100iso to 800iso, you get about 5Ev on each side of the histogram.
I'm selling my K-7 and getting a K20D. No way can my K-7 capture 11 stops of light. A little over half that at best and maybe bring in a few in PP.