Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-09-2010, 11:11 PM   #1

Filters for Pentax 67ii lenses

Hi again,

I've now realised that with the collection of Pentax 67 lenses that I use I have a number of different filter thread sizes to accommodate on a shoot. Up to now I have been using the Lee filter system with ND Grads and Warming filters on the Lee Holder system. I already have the ring adaptors for 67, 77 and 82mm.

This setup is fine but I have a problem when I want to use a Circular Polariser. The only one I currently have is a Nikon 77mm CPL which I have from my 35m equipment. To use this with the Lee filters is a bit tricky as I have to mount the CPL on the lens and then mount the Lee filters on that in front of it. It's tricky because the CPL rotates itself when you try and screw anything to it...

Anyhow I saw that Lee recommend a 105mm B+W Kaesemann CPL to fit to the front of the filter holder kit. I have a couple questions about this:

1) Does it make any difference to put the CPL in front of other filters rather than behind ? (ND Grads, Warming filters)
2) How is the quality of the B+W filter? I have heard they are good (although expensive)

Is anyone using this Lee setup in practice?

Thanks in advance,
Rick

08-10-2010, 07:23 PM   #2
Pentaxian

I guess the obvious question is why are you wasting your money on a circular polarizer when it isn't going to work as well as a linear polarizer?
In practice, I think you will find that it doesn't matter much which side of the stack the polarizer goes, if Lee is recommending the front, then that should work. I believe in my 4x5 filter holder when I used a polarizer it went on the front.
B+W are among the best filters you can buy.
08-10-2010, 10:44 PM   #3

Original Poster
Circular vs Linear

Actually I was planning to use the polarizer for both my Pentax 67 and also for my Nikon (apologies for mentioning the 'N' word on a Pentax forum) 35mm system...

As the Nikon is a full AF TTL system I believe a Circular is required?

Thanks,
Rick
08-11-2010, 07:37 AM   #4
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by rickbehl Quote
Actually I was planning to use the polarizer for both my Pentax 67 and also for my Nikon (apologies for mentioning the 'N' word on a Pentax forum) 35mm system...

As the Nikon is a full AF TTL system I believe a Circular is required?

Thanks,
Rick
It's always nice to get full information in the original thread.
Keeps people from wasting their time by replying and all.

08-11-2010, 09:41 PM   #5

Original Poster
Actually...

Sorry if that was not clear... although I did mention that I was using a 77mm CPL from my 35mm equipment in the original post... maybe it wasn't absolutely clear that I was still using the 35mm now...