Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-13-2010, 07:00 PM   #1
Pentaxian

The best P67 glass VS Zeiss

I think we can all agree that within the 30+ optical designs for the Pentax 67, some are sharper than others. After using German glass for my 35mm (Leicaflex)work for many years, I know that P67 glass is not as sharp. No surprise here really. What I am curious about is how the best lenses for the P67 system (75mm f/4.5, 55mm latest, 300ED etc.) compare with the Zeiss MF glass. If you shoot both types of glass, what is your opinion on this.

08-15-2010, 12:55 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Zeiss lenses are good, don't get me wrong. But I think people are more attracted to the name, like insects to a bug zapper. years ago Rollei started off their medium format system using zeiss lenses, people were happy. Then Rollei had Schneider make some lenses for them too...holy wars broke out as they usually do...however, in my testing they are both extremely good optically. The schneider lenses are somewhat better than the zeiss lenses were, In comparison to the pentax 67 55mm f/4 the Carl zeiss 50 f/4 and the Schneider 45mm f/3.5 super angulon - all lenses are about equal in terms or resolving power, the differences in resolution were so small as to be largely insignificant. The zeiss had more vignetting,the Schneider lens improved on this, the pentax was more flare resistant. The Zeiss and Schneider lenses were tested on a Rollei 6008 integral and the Pentax 55mm f/4 was tested on a pentax 67 II
08-16-2010, 03:40 AM   #3

Photos: Gallery
It is no surprise that the newest 55mm, the SMC 55mm f/4 competes so well with the others. It is pretty much a Distagon design. I would imagine the 75 f/4.5, being an original french retrofocus design is just as sharp and contrasty, but possibly more prone to flare. The 45mm f/4 seems to be based on the Super Angulon-R type (Leicaflex). Another very sharp lens of the new line-up is the SMC 200mm f/4. It is of the Ernostar design.

Pentax was catching on when these newer lenses were produced, using known good european designs. They are fantastic lenses.
08-17-2010, 04:28 PM   #4
Pentaxian

slrgear.com has tested some of the 35mm Zeiss lineup of lenses they offer on many mounts. A few are awesome and some are so-so as far as that format goes. So just the name alone does not spell automatic great lens.

But in MF, I do have a Zeiss CF T* 80/150mm and CB T* 60mm which is reportedly optically the same as their CFi generation in that focal length. And I have a bunch of Pentax 67 lenses including the noted later 55mm and M* 300 lenes.

So I'm not much help Because I'm just after the picture regardless of how sharp the lens is and don't focus my energy on that. I grab what I need and will shoot at any aperture it supports regardless if it has "soft edges" or I'm entering the "diffraction limiting zone".

But I must say I have done a double-take a time or two with both my SMC Pentax 67 55mm and Sonnar CF T* 150mm sharpness results. I have the later 67 75mm f4.5 lens too but really have not shot it enough to form an opinion because all have been handhold shots with it where I feel you really can't be judging sharpness well under those conditions.