Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
08-27-2010, 05:51 AM   #31
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Digitalis Quote
Pentax presented a mockup of a 28mm f/4 lens with drop in filters - not sure when it will be announced (probably soonish) looks like Pentax's answer to the Mamiya/Phase one 28mm f/4.5 ASPH - the lens will most likely feature ED and (hopefully some Aspherical elements too) SDM WR and enhanced optical coatings.
Wow, nice! If this is in line with the quality of their other glass it will rock the house. To entice landscape photogs they need to get this out ASAP.

08-27-2010, 01:08 PM   #32
Inactive Account

How about a tilt/shift lens? Any word on such device yet? That would surely cost an arm and a leg due to the huge image circle required.
08-27-2010, 02:44 PM   #33
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Maffer Quote
How about a tilt/shift lens? Any word on such device yet? That would surely cost an arm and a leg due to the huge image circle required.
They need to cover the refresh of common lenses first. Pentax offical have mentionned 3 new lenses in "near future". The 28 makes the most sense given the crop ratio, the 35 wasn't anymore wide enough for the lower end of focal length. The 2 other lenses would be an 85 equivalent and a standard weather-sealed zoom, I wouldn't be surprised.

After that you can go on with the specialty equipments (shutter plane lenses, tilt-shift, ultra-fast, long tele etc...) Given the excellent 6x7 and 645 film legacy glass there is no emergency.
08-27-2010, 03:29 PM   #34
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ghelary Quote
They need to cover the refresh of common lenses first.
On the contrary a tilt/shift should be one of the first lenses on the agenda, seeing as how this camera will be perfect for landscape shooters. This should not be perceived as a "speciality" lens but rather the one essential lens in your bag.

08-27-2010, 04:01 PM   #35
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by rparmar Quote
On the contrary a tilt/shift should be one of the first lenses on the agenda, seeing as how this camera will be perfect for landscape shooters. This should not be perceived as a "speciality" lens but rather the one essential lens in your bag.
Wide and shift would be where they need to start. The tele will be covered to a large extent by the large number of 645 lenses out there already.

Were it not for the focus, the 35mm thought was an interesting one. The sensor size does invite the thought of a 36mm diagonal square format.
08-27-2010, 04:28 PM   #36

GeneV wrote; "wide and shift would be where they need to start"
Couldn't agree more.
The first two lenses I'd like to see are the 25mm ( 20mm equivalent in 35mm terms) that appeared at one point on the Pentax lens roadmap, and a 30mm tilt or tilt/shift. That would be a boon for the landscape shooters, and this camera has great appeal to that group. Those along with the existing FA 35mm and 45mm, would cover the wide end. Next on my list would be an ED macro. The 200mm macro Pentax made for 35mm is a legend, and shoudn't be hard to upsize for the 645D. Finally if the camera sells well, upgrading the 600/5.6 ED IF to AF would bring wildlife work to MF.
08-27-2010, 05:28 PM   #37
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by surfotog Quote
GeneV wrote; "wide and shift would be where they need to start"
Couldn't agree more.
The first two lenses I'd like to see are the 25mm ( 20mm equivalent in 35mm terms) that appeared at one point on the Pentax lens roadmap, and a 30mm tilt or tilt/shift. That would be a boon for the landscape shooters, and this camera has great appeal to that group. Those along with the existing FA 35mm and 45mm, would cover the wide end. Next on my list would be an ED macro. The 200mm macro Pentax made for 35mm is a legend, and shoudn't be hard to upsize for the 645D. Finally if the camera sells well, upgrading the 600/5.6 ED IF to AF would bring wildlife work to MF.
The 120mm macro for the 645 is very well regarded. They are now as expensive used as most new glass. They don't need to do much work on this end.

08-29-2010, 11:00 AM   #38
Veteran Member

Thanks for posting. Sounds superb, with the DR and Iso 1600

Reading the preview also sounds inviting :
"The sensor's area measures more than twice that of a full-frame 35mm DSLR, and, as such, can be expected to produce clear, sharp images."

Also like this part, from the first review :
"- In natural/available light and leaving the camera in Av priority, what I saw in the viewfinder is what I got as the captured image. That was pretty much the first time I've ever just thrown a camera into an auto setting, shot, and then seen the exact same image in the preview as what I was seeing in real life. No +/- compensation needing to be dialled in, no blown highlights, no overly dark shadows, no "best guess" compromise when it came to the exposure of the image and a true to life tonal range - and this was 11:30am on a bright sunny day in a mix of full sun, partial shade and full shade locations."

Last edited by Jonson PL; 09-01-2010 at 01:46 AM.
08-29-2010, 09:31 PM   #39
Veteran Member

This is a little OT, but you're hanging around with some interesting people and subjects !!!

Lovely review, but sadly a little it is just a dream toy.

Cheers Neil
11-26-2010, 05:47 PM   #40

I just picked up my 645D this a.m. I have been playing with it all afternoon. Hmmmm, Ahhhhhh, OHooooo! now I feel like a cigarette. What's happening? I DON'T SMOKE!

I used my old 37mm MF lense from my 645, can't wait to get some new glass for this wonderful instrument.
11-26-2010, 05:49 PM   #41

TYPO ALERT!!! That was meant to read 75mm
11-27-2010, 08:12 AM   #42
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by rparmar Quote
Approximately 1 in 10000 landscape photographers use tilt shift lenses so doubt Pentax will release one anytime soon or at all...
11-27-2010, 08:22 AM   #43
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Pål Jensen Quote
Approximately 1 in 10000 landscape photographers use tilt shift lenses
the rest use Large format.
11-27-2010, 09:59 AM   #44
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Pål Jensen Quote
Approximately 1 in 10000 landscape photographers use tilt shift lenses so doubt Pentax will release one anytime soon or at all...
...ROFL

Steve
11-27-2010, 10:09 AM   #45
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

For large format tilt/shift function is a necessity in order to get anything resembling DOF. For other formats it isn't. The Pentax MF cameras was the most popular among landscape photographers but hardly anyone used them with tilt/shift lenses. For a cropped 645 format DOF is no problem unless one wants to exlore some really extreme near/far relationships. For digital most if not all the effects of tilt/shift can be achieved with cheaper means. Hence, the market for a Pentax tilt/shift lens is very small indeed....