Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-04-2010, 10:47 PM   #1

Pentax 6X7 camera shake

Hello my name is Jon Anderson and I'm getting a 6X7, that I've never used before fixed and I have a couple of questions.
When I take a picture the camera shakes a lot with the mirror movement and maybe shutter movement. How slow can you hand hold a 6X7, what speed and how much trouble is the shutter shake? Does it still cause a problem on a tripod, like maybe for real slow shutter speeds. I have kind of small hands and let me tell you, the 6X7 is heavy. What do you use for a strap on this model? I'm afraid I'm going to drop this sucker. Thanks everyone.

09-04-2010, 10:50 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The 6x7 isn't meant to be hand-held, since that would sort of be a waste of film. With a sturdy tripod, sharpness won't be a problem.

Here's the 6x7 factsheet: https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-medium-format-slr-camera-reviews/6...entax-6x7.html

As you can see, the body features mirror lock-up, which it what you'll want to use to prevent shaking due to mirror movement.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
09-04-2010, 11:12 PM   #3
Veteran Member

I use my 67 handheld quite a bit. I have taken shots at 1/60s handheld and they came out fine. Mirror/shutter shake is not really a big problem unless you are using lenses 300mm or longer. Granted you will always get better result by using a sturdy tripod but I have seen a lot of phenomenal 6x7 shots that were taken handheld.
I have heard that the optional wood grip make handholding/handling better if you are using a prism finder. You can also get the folding waist level finder which makes the camera about 1 pound lighter and is great for street style and landscape photography.

P.S. Welcome to the forum.
09-05-2010, 02:50 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I firmly believe the 67 should be used handheld, but that's because I use it mostly as a portrait lens, shooting 105/2.4 wide open.

With that said, I've shot with the 135/4 macro lens handheld @ 1/60s

Also, I don't think the wood grip will help with holding the camera steady. The best way to hold it steady is with your left hand holding the base of the camera and the bottom of the lens and you right hand holding the right side of the cam. The wood grip will make it easy for you to carry it around with one hand though.

It's a friggen great cam (I've since upgraded to 67II). You will enjoy it :-)

09-05-2010, 04:38 AM - 1 Like   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Over 95% of the time, I use my 6x7 handheld, because I mostly use it as a street camera....
Welcome!
09-05-2010, 01:08 PM   #6

I toted a 67 around for years shooting fashion. Hand holding @ 1/60th was the norm.
09-05-2010, 06:13 PM   #7
Pentaxian

Handheld is not a problem, especially with the 45mm. Here's an example.

09-05-2010, 09:38 PM - 1 Like   #8

The idea that the 67 can't be handheld is one of those persistent internet myths. See the work of Nick Brandt, who shoots a 67 with the 55mm, 105mm and 200mm lenses handheld to photograph wildlife in Africa. He prints BIG, which would show any vibration induced softness.
09-06-2010, 12:02 AM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

At speeds of 1/8th~1/30th shutter bounce is an issue even when tripod mounted with mirror lock up. I have found mirror vibrations are more problematic in regards to critical sharpness during hand-held usage in the shutter speeds 1/125th and lower with a 105mm f/2.4 lens - however with that kind of lens speed 1/1000th shutter speeds aren't all that uncommon.
09-06-2010, 05:41 AM   #10
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
The 6x7 isn't meant to be hand-held, since that would sort of be a waste of film.
Adam, do you have a 67? Fortunately, the OP can safely ignore that advice.

Yes, you can can handhold a shot. How slow? Go too slow and you'll get camera movement just like a 135 film camera. It all depends how well you hold the camera.

I've shot as low as 1/30 with a wide angle before. It is easier to do with a WLF than a with prism on for this technique. You hang the camera from your neck applying some tension to the camera straps with your body bent over slightly pushing down on the camera. You can move the camera around for composition while looking down through the view finder. You need to have already focused first. Lock up the mirror if you want and take the shot.

I second RawheaD's comment on the wood grip. I stopped using that thing 20 years ago. If weight is an issue, get the folding hood. It does cut a lot of weight out. But it is problematic for handheld portrait orientation.

Last edited by tuco; 09-06-2010 at 05:56 AM.
09-07-2010, 10:04 AM   #11

I think those who can hold the camera properly get fine results. Just be conscious of what your doing. The general rule of shutter speed "1/focal length" applies as well. generally.

75mm f/4.5 Takumar, 1/30 sec f/22 E100S Handheld standing on a slippery ledge and wind blowing. Tack sharp on high-res scan.

09-08-2010, 07:55 PM   #12

I've tried hand holding my 67II numerous times for fleeting landscape exposures and none of the shots have passed the scrutiny of my 8x loupe. Film is expensive and a tripod with an Arca plate is just so easy to use that I rather not waste film. Please note I shoot landscape with PanF50 or Velvia 50 and rarely take any lens off f22.
09-08-2010, 08:53 PM   #13
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Harry Potter Quote
I've tried hand holding my 67II numerous times for fleeting landscape exposures and none of the shots have passed the scrutiny of my 8x loupe. Film is expensive and a tripod with an Arca plate is just so easy to use that I rather not waste film. Please note I shoot landscape with PanF50 or Velvia 50 and rarely take any lens off f22.
Based on the Sunny 16 rule for a sunny day, you'd be shooting around 1/30th at f22 with that slow of film under good light conditions. And add a polarizer, colored filter, overcast, morning or evening and it even gets slower. No wonder.

Last edited by tuco; 09-08-2010 at 09:00 PM.
09-10-2010, 08:18 PM   #14

jbander, I wouldn't totally ignore Adam's advice. I think the 67 was designed to be hand held but with the variety of high speed 120 film shrinking all to fast, it's going to get hard to do. I am not sure what model 67 you have but I use the factory strap on mine.
09-10-2010, 10:55 PM   #15

Original Poster
Thanks everyone

I'm really pleased with the great response I've got. I'm really happy that I found this group and will be using it to help my transition to medium format. Thank you.
Jon Anderson