Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-05-2010, 02:38 PM   #1
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Luminous Landscape - 645D Review

"In late August 2010, I finally got a chance to get up-close and personal with the Pentax 645D. My sense is that this camera will be a bit of a game-changer. "

There is also a video interview with Pentax Canada's representative. It is interesting to hear at the very beginning, what is said about the sensor chip and the unit's timing of the introduction.

Last edited by interested_observer; 09-05-2010 at 02:45 PM.
09-05-2010, 03:15 PM   #2
Veteran Member

I would absolutely love to try out the 645D for landscape shots.
09-05-2010, 03:27 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Its refreshing to head someone who knows what their talking about talking about the benefits and technology behind medium format digital.
09-05-2010, 06:42 PM   #4
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by JohnBee Quote
Its refreshing to head someone who knows what their talking about talking about the benefits and technology behind medium format digital.
Exactly what i was thinking. Then i started getting envious thinking of how much fun it would be to try out that machine.

Its something Pentax has in their product inventory that Nikon and Canon can't touch, at the moment anyway. Kudos to Pentax.

09-05-2010, 11:57 PM   #5
Pentaxian

An informed review of the 645D. Ken Rockwell should take note....hehe

In all seriousness, i'm sure when Michael gets his hand on a 645D he will go ballistic that Pentax managed to make a dedicated Mirror lock up button and no other manufacturer has done so far. I'm sure he will love the TAv mode as much as I do.
09-06-2010, 06:39 AM   #6
Site Supporter

won't be the mirror lock up ...

I think that the price of this camera will be the most important point compared to other
medium format cameras - especially when all the comparative features are thrown in.
You can't compare the 645d to Nikon and Canon offerings - like comparing 35mm film to 120. To me, I would look at the 645d compared to the H4d-40 and the comparable Phase/Mamiya. The medium format makers have been able to get away with minimal incorporation of dslr features, relying on sensor size to sell their product at a high price -
can't now that the 645d has hit the market.
09-06-2010, 11:43 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by hsteeves Quote
I think that the price of this camera will be the most important point compared to other
medium format cameras - especially when all the comparative features are thrown in.
You can't compare the 645d to Nikon and Canon offerings - like comparing 35mm film to 120. To me, I would look at the 645d compared to the H4d-40 and the comparable Phase/Mamiya. The medium format makers have been able to get away with minimal incorporation of dslr features, relying on sensor size to sell their product at a high price -
can't now that the 645d has hit the market.
Yes and no, the Phase One / Mamiya system have high speed LF lenses that the Pentax don't have, removable backs allow to mount them on Large Format cameras and specialty camera for specific usages.
Pros photographers won't be willing to switch systems until Pentax shows established and reliable maintenance network.

So for studio use, I would doubt that Pentax would get in so easily. The additional cost of lighting equipment, space rental etc are high enough that the renting of the MF cameras and lenses are not so impacting.

On the other side, nature photographers and amateur that are into the big prints will be very attracted with the price and the weathersealing. Those people are using mostly high end Canon and Nikon gear. So the comparison between a D3X and a 645D is not irrelevant.
09-06-2010, 03:40 PM   #8
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ghelary Quote
Yes and no, the Phase One / Mamiya system have high speed LF lenses that the Pentax don't have, removable backs allow to mount them on Large Format cameras and specialty camera for specific usages...

...On the other side, nature photographers and amateur that are into the big prints will be very attracted with the price and the weathersealing. Those people are using mostly high end Canon and Nikon gear. So the comparison between a D3X and a 645D is not irrelevant.

I don't disagree that landscape photographers and serious amateurs will be a significant portion of the 645D market, but I am puzzled by your comment regarding Phase One/Mamiya. While there is no denying the utility of the modular Phase One/Mamiya design, I was wondering what "fast" lenses are you referring to.

The medium format Phase One system (based on Mamiya MF body) uses medium format lenses from the Mamiya and Phase One range and can be adapted to use lenses designed for many brands, Pentax included. The largest maximum aperture on those MF lenses is typically f/2.8 or slower. The highly regarded Phase One backs, when adapted to a large format camera can indeed be used with LF lenses, but those are typically pretty slow with f/4.5 considered to be quite fast and f/5.6 being more typical.

Factoring lens speed out of the equation, I do believe that Pentax offers little in the way of competition to the existing Phase One market. The most likely impact will be in allowing photographers with smaller budgets (i.e. cannot afford Phase One) access to high quality, large sensor photography with a somewhat different (full-featured dSLR w/o interchangeable backs) type of camera. I would anticipate this might include fashion, portrait, and glamor photography in addition to landscape.

Steve

09-06-2010, 03:51 PM   #9
Zav
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
I was wondering what "fast" lenses are you referring to.
Leaf shutter lenses I bet.
09-06-2010, 04:13 PM   #10
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Zav Quote
Oh! As in fast flash sync? That would very much make sense.

Steve
09-06-2010, 06:42 PM   #11
Pentaxian

well when it comes to Leaf shutter lenses Pentax has some stiff competition, Schneider produce Leaf shutter lenses with a 1/1600th second top speed. And are available in Phase one/Mamiya mount, Pentax would do well to at least bring out leaf shutter lenses with a 1/1,000th top speed in order to be competitive for the studio market. They pretty much already have the Landscape market in their pocket with the weather sealing, and the High quality LCD that is fully legible in daylight.
09-08-2010, 12:11 AM   #12
Veteran Member

"Oh, so you want one? Take a number. They are apparently selling like hot-cakes in Japan (or at least selling as fast as Pentax can make them), so we are unlikely to see any in Europe or North America until late October at the earliest."

Originally at PMA in Melbourne the Pentax rep said 1st of August and I ordered one not long after hearing that (mid-July). Then early Aug moved out to mid-August, then late August - maybe early September. Now I'm hearing anytime beween now and the next 6 weeks as well as reading late October at the earliest....... the lack of a firm date is really dissapointing.

Don't know about other countries, but this aspect of Pentax is the biggest let down for me. Others I know can get onto a Canon or Nikon rep' very easily and get clear, conscise info. I get to go through a shop, who speaks to the National importers based on the other side of the country, who speak direct to Pentax and the local Pentax rep (also on the other side of the country) is out of the loop or can't be contacted easily.
09-08-2010, 02:36 AM   #13
Veteran Member

I don't disagree that landscape photographers and serious amateurs will be a significant portion of the 645D market, but I am puzzled by your comment regarding Phase One/Mamiya. While there is no denying the utility of the modular Phase One/Mamiya design, I was wondering what "fast" lenses are you referring to.

The medium format Phase One system (based on Mamiya MF body) uses medium format lenses from the Mamiya and Phase One range and can be adapted to use lenses designed for many brands, Pentax included. The largest maximum aperture on those MF lenses is typically f/2.8 or slower. The highly regarded Phase One backs, when adapted to a large format camera can indeed be used with LF lenses, but those are typically pretty slow with f/4.5 considered to be quite fast and f/5.6 being more typical.

Factoring lens speed out of the equation, I do believe that Pentax offers little in the way of competition to the existing Phase One market. The most likely impact will be in allowing photographers with smaller budgets (i.e. cannot afford Phase One) access to high quality, large sensor photography with a somewhat different (full-featured dSLR w/o interchangeable backs) type of camera. I would anticipate this might include fashion, portrait, and glamor photography in addition to landscape.

Steve
QuoteOriginally posted by Zav Quote
Oh! As in fast flash sync? That would very much make sense.

Steve
QuoteOriginally posted by Digitalis Quote
well when it comes to Leaf shutter lenses Pentax has some stiff competition, Schneider produce Leaf shutter lenses with a 1/1600th second top speed. And are available in Phase one/Mamiya mount, Pentax would do well to at least bring out leaf shutter lenses with a 1/1,000th top speed in order to be competitive for the studio market. They pretty much already have the Landscape market in their pocket with the weather sealing, and the High quality LCD that is fully legible in daylight.
Yeah, you guessed right, I was speaking of those 1600th leaf shutter lenses. Those can the reason for some people to invest in a MF system without even considering resolution.

BTW, Hasselbald has one f1.4 prime. However, I'm not sure that it is such a strong argument in MF.
09-08-2010, 04:49 PM   #14
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Warped Quote
"Oh, so you want one? Take a number. They are apparently selling like hot-cakes in Japan (or at least selling as fast as Pentax can make them), so we are unlikely to see any in Europe or North America until late October at the earliest."

Originally at PMA in Melbourne the Pentax rep said 1st of August and I ordered one not long after hearing that (mid-July). Then early Aug moved out to mid-August, then late August - maybe early September. Now I'm hearing anytime beween now and the next 6 weeks as well as reading late October at the earliest....... the lack of a firm date is really dissapointing.

There's a new 645D on ebay for around $10k.
09-08-2010, 06:31 PM   #15
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by ghelary Quote
BTW, Hasselbald has one f1.4 prime. However, I'm not sure that it is such a strong argument in MF.
No they don't. The fastest lens in the H system Lens line up is the 100mm f/2.2

The fastest 645 Lens I have ever seen is a 100mm f/1.8