Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-05-2010, 02:38 PM   #1
Loyal Site Supporter




Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Tumbleweed, Arizona
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 5,107
Luminous Landscape - 645D Review

"In late August 2010, I finally got a chance to get up-close and personal with the Pentax 645D. My sense is that this camera will be a bit of a game-changer. "

There is also a video interview with Pentax Canada's representative. It is interesting to hear at the very beginning, what is said about the sensor chip and the unit's timing of the introduction.




Last edited by interested_observer; 09-05-2010 at 02:45 PM.
09-05-2010, 03:15 PM   #2
Veteran Member




Join Date: May 2009
Location: Scotland
Posts: 581
I would absolutely love to try out the 645D for landscape shots.
09-05-2010, 03:27 PM   #3
Pentaxian
JohnBee's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: front of computer
Posts: 4,620
Its refreshing to head someone who knows what their talking about talking about the benefits and technology behind medium format digital.
09-05-2010, 06:42 PM   #4
Pentaxian
philbaum's Avatar

Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Port Townsend, Washington State, USA
Posts: 3,659
QuoteOriginally posted by JohnBee Quote
Its refreshing to head someone who knows what their talking about talking about the benefits and technology behind medium format digital.
Exactly what i was thinking. Then i started getting envious thinking of how much fun it would be to try out that machine.

Its something Pentax has in their product inventory that Nikon and Canon can't touch, at the moment anyway. Kudos to Pentax.

09-05-2010, 11:57 PM   #5
Pentaxian
Digitalis's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Adelaide.
Posts: 8,797
An informed review of the 645D. Ken Rockwell should take note....hehe

In all seriousness, i'm sure when Michael gets his hand on a 645D he will go ballistic that Pentax managed to make a dedicated Mirror lock up button and no other manufacturer has done so far. I'm sure he will love the TAv mode as much as I do.
09-06-2010, 06:39 AM   #6
Site Supporter




Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Saskatchewan
Posts: 248
won't be the mirror lock up ...

I think that the price of this camera will be the most important point compared to other
medium format cameras - especially when all the comparative features are thrown in.
You can't compare the 645d to Nikon and Canon offerings - like comparing 35mm film to 120. To me, I would look at the 645d compared to the H4d-40 and the comparable Phase/Mamiya. The medium format makers have been able to get away with minimal incorporation of dslr features, relying on sensor size to sell their product at a high price -
can't now that the 645d has hit the market.
09-06-2010, 11:43 AM   #7
Veteran Member
ghelary's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Paris, France
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 617
QuoteOriginally posted by hsteeves Quote
I think that the price of this camera will be the most important point compared to other
medium format cameras - especially when all the comparative features are thrown in.
You can't compare the 645d to Nikon and Canon offerings - like comparing 35mm film to 120. To me, I would look at the 645d compared to the H4d-40 and the comparable Phase/Mamiya. The medium format makers have been able to get away with minimal incorporation of dslr features, relying on sensor size to sell their product at a high price -
can't now that the 645d has hit the market.
Yes and no, the Phase One / Mamiya system have high speed LF lenses that the Pentax don't have, removable backs allow to mount them on Large Format cameras and specialty camera for specific usages.
Pros photographers won't be willing to switch systems until Pentax shows established and reliable maintenance network.

So for studio use, I would doubt that Pentax would get in so easily. The additional cost of lighting equipment, space rental etc are high enough that the renting of the MF cameras and lenses are not so impacting.

On the other side, nature photographers and amateur that are into the big prints will be very attracted with the price and the weathersealing. Those people are using mostly high end Canon and Nikon gear. So the comparison between a D3X and a 645D is not irrelevant.
09-06-2010, 03:40 PM   #8
Site Supporter
stevebrot's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Vancouver (USA)
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 27,496
QuoteOriginally posted by ghelary Quote
Yes and no, the Phase One / Mamiya system have high speed LF lenses that the Pentax don't have, removable backs allow to mount them on Large Format cameras and specialty camera for specific usages...

...On the other side, nature photographers and amateur that are into the big prints will be very attracted with the price and the weathersealing. Those people are using mostly high end Canon and Nikon gear. So the comparison between a D3X and a 645D is not irrelevant.

I don't disagree that landscape photographers and serious amateurs will be a significant portion of the 645D market, but I am puzzled by your comment regarding Phase One/Mamiya. While there is no denying the utility of the modular Phase One/Mamiya design, I was wondering what "fast" lenses are you referring to.

The medium format Phase One system (based on Mamiya MF body) uses medium format lenses from the Mamiya and Phase One range and can be adapted to use lenses designed for many brands, Pentax included. The largest maximum aperture on those MF lenses is typically f/2.8 or slower. The highly regarded Phase One backs, when adapted to a large format camera can indeed be used with LF lenses, but those are typically pretty slow with f/4.5 considered to be quite fast and f/5.6 being more typical.

Factoring lens speed out of the equation, I do believe that Pentax offers little in the way of competition to the existing Phase One market. The most likely impact will be in allowing photographers with smaller budgets (i.e. cannot afford Phase One) access to high quality, large sensor photography with a somewhat different (full-featured dSLR w/o interchangeable backs) type of camera. I would anticipate this might include fashion, portrait, and glamor photography in addition to landscape.

Steve

09-06-2010, 03:51 PM   #9
Zav
Pentaxian
Zav's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2009
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 1,339
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
I was wondering what "fast" lenses are you referring to.
Leaf shutter lenses I bet.
09-06-2010, 04:13 PM   #10
Site Supporter
stevebrot's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Vancouver (USA)
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 27,496
QuoteOriginally posted by Zav Quote
Leaf shutter lenses I bet.
Oh! As in fast flash sync? That would very much make sense.


Steve
09-06-2010, 06:42 PM   #11
Pentaxian
Digitalis's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Adelaide.
Posts: 8,797
well when it comes to Leaf shutter lenses Pentax has some stiff competition, Schneider produce Leaf shutter lenses with a 1/1600th second top speed. And are available in Phase one/Mamiya mount, Pentax would do well to at least bring out leaf shutter lenses with a 1/1,000th top speed in order to be competitive for the studio market. They pretty much already have the Landscape market in their pocket with the weather sealing, and the High quality LCD that is fully legible in daylight.
09-08-2010, 12:11 AM   #12
Veteran Member




Join Date: Oct 2008
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 351
"Oh, so you want one? Take a number. They are apparently selling like hot-cakes in Japan (or at least selling as fast as Pentax can make them), so we are unlikely to see any in Europe or North America until late October at the earliest."



Originally at PMA in Melbourne the Pentax rep said 1st of August and I ordered one not long after hearing that (mid-July). Then early Aug moved out to mid-August, then late August - maybe early September. Now I'm hearing anytime beween now and the next 6 weeks as well as reading late October at the earliest....... the lack of a firm date is really dissapointing.

Don't know about other countries, but this aspect of Pentax is the biggest let down for me. Others I know can get onto a Canon or Nikon rep' very easily and get clear, conscise info. I get to go through a shop, who speaks to the National importers based on the other side of the country, who speak direct to Pentax and the local Pentax rep (also on the other side of the country) is out of the loop or can't be contacted easily.
09-08-2010, 02:36 AM   #13
Veteran Member
ghelary's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Paris, France
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 617
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
I don't disagree that landscape photographers and serious amateurs will be a significant portion of the 645D market, but I am puzzled by your comment regarding Phase One/Mamiya. While there is no denying the utility of the modular Phase One/Mamiya design, I was wondering what "fast" lenses are you referring to.

The medium format Phase One system (based on Mamiya MF body) uses medium format lenses from the Mamiya and Phase One range and can be adapted to use lenses designed for many brands, Pentax included. The largest maximum aperture on those MF lenses is typically f/2.8 or slower. The highly regarded Phase One backs, when adapted to a large format camera can indeed be used with LF lenses, but those are typically pretty slow with f/4.5 considered to be quite fast and f/5.6 being more typical.

Factoring lens speed out of the equation, I do believe that Pentax offers little in the way of competition to the existing Phase One market. The most likely impact will be in allowing photographers with smaller budgets (i.e. cannot afford Phase One) access to high quality, large sensor photography with a somewhat different (full-featured dSLR w/o interchangeable backs) type of camera. I would anticipate this might include fashion, portrait, and glamor photography in addition to landscape.

Steve
QuoteOriginally posted by Zav Quote
Leaf shutter lenses I bet.
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
Oh! As in fast flash sync? That would very much make sense.


Steve
QuoteOriginally posted by Digitalis Quote
well when it comes to Leaf shutter lenses Pentax has some stiff competition, Schneider produce Leaf shutter lenses with a 1/1600th second top speed. And are available in Phase one/Mamiya mount, Pentax would do well to at least bring out leaf shutter lenses with a 1/1,000th top speed in order to be competitive for the studio market. They pretty much already have the Landscape market in their pocket with the weather sealing, and the High quality LCD that is fully legible in daylight.
Yeah, you guessed right, I was speaking of those 1600th leaf shutter lenses. Those can the reason for some people to invest in a MF system without even considering resolution.

BTW, Hasselbald has one f1.4 prime. However, I'm not sure that it is such a strong argument in MF.
09-08-2010, 04:49 PM   #14
Pentaxian




Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Oregon
Photos: Albums
Posts: 1,418
QuoteOriginally posted by Warped Quote
"Oh, so you want one? Take a number. They are apparently selling like hot-cakes in Japan (or at least selling as fast as Pentax can make them), so we are unlikely to see any in Europe or North America until late October at the earliest."



Originally at PMA in Melbourne the Pentax rep said 1st of August and I ordered one not long after hearing that (mid-July). Then early Aug moved out to mid-August, then late August - maybe early September. Now I'm hearing anytime beween now and the next 6 weeks as well as reading late October at the earliest....... the lack of a firm date is really dissapointing.

There's a new 645D on ebay for around $10k.
09-08-2010, 06:31 PM   #15
Pentaxian
Digitalis's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Adelaide.
Posts: 8,797
QuoteOriginally posted by ghelary Quote
BTW, Hasselbald has one f1.4 prime. However, I'm not sure that it is such a strong argument in MF.
No they don't. The fastest lens in the H system Lens line up is the 100mm f/2.2

The fastest 645 Lens I have ever seen is a 100mm f/1.8
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
645d, camera, medium format, pentax, review
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Can't afford the 645D, what is the alternative for landscape. pcarfan Non-Pentax Cameras: Canon, Nikon, etc. 74 01-06-2011 03:25 AM
New 645D review with samples from pro-photographer ogl Pentax Medium Format 25 12-16-2010 04:40 AM
Amateurphotographer hands on review of 645D ogl Pentax Medium Format 5 06-11-2010 10:57 AM
645D Review 7th June TOUGEFC Pentax Medium Format 9 06-10-2010 04:39 PM
http://www.luminous-landscape.com/ needs Pentax K-7 to prove it ogl Pentax News and Rumors 133 10-24-2009 07:50 AM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 12:18 PM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top