Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-20-2011, 05:40 AM   #61
Site Supporter

Adapting a Canon lens to Pentax 645 makes no sense.
You would lose most of the tilt/shift capabilites to cover the larger sensor.
How do you want to set the aperture - I think the moden TS lenses from Canon have automatic diaphragms.
You will not just lose infinity focus, you will lose anything from 0.5 m to infinity due to the extra extenion needed to fit the Pentax flange focal distance. The Canon lens tube will travel less when focusing fomr infinity to close up as compared to the extention needed to mount the lens in front of a Pentax 645. 10, 20, 30 mm extension is huge for a wide angle lens.
The Pentax 645 is a mirror in the way camera, not the perect solution for tilt, shift, wide angle, low distortion, imagery.

If you want to use a Canon lens by a Canon camera.
If you want to use tilt and shift in medium format, invest in a system that can do that.

11-21-2011, 08:52 AM   #62
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Yamanobori Quote
Mike, if you can find an adapter, you may have the neatest macro tilt/shift lens. The difference between a 645 and a 35mm flange distance will be significant. I don't have the numbers off the top of my head, but a 645 flange distance is around 70mm and 35mm is 40mm.

If I remember correctly, the Pentax 67 had a 75mm shift lens that is easily adpated to a 645D. While I am unsure if there has been a camera mount made, Cambo and Horseman make tilt shift adapters for DSLRs. And Novaflex has a bellows unit that has tilt shift. These units use enlarger lenses, so there is a problem with wides if you want to do landscape work.

Because of the mirror box, DSLR do not make a great platform for camera movements. You would be better off with a Phase One back and a view camera. You sacrefice the convienience of a DSLR, though.
Though the idea was a crapshoot to begin with,it was an idea to consider since Canon T/S 35 lenses are being used on the Hartblei medium format camera.

Thanks for knocking around the idea with me.