Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-10-2010, 12:20 PM   #1
Inactive Account

Lack of support for 645 FA lenses!!!

Hello to all on the Pentax forums! My name is Reese and I don't often contribute
to the forums but today I talked to Pentax and learned of some information that
everyone in this community should know or should be re-reminded about,
that is, the limited of servicing for Pentax 645 FA lenses. Yes, Pentax has informed
me that there is not any direct servicing offered for the 645 FA line of lenses, which
means that if you are looking forward to buying the 645D body once it becomes available
(possibly this October) there will be no service offered for the existing 645 FA lenses directly
by Pentax.

There is however some service available through CRIS Camera of Chandler, AZ which may help
with my current needs. What Pentax needs to make sure of, is that there will be at least one
service outlet available todisassemble, clean and reassemble Pentax lenses in the FA*, 645 FA and 67
lens lines if they are gong to field a digital 645D back. The hoped for release of the 645D should
have professionals seeking out this camera for use in AD work because of the unsurpassed existing
deep lens availability and a sensor 2.5 times larger than any Nikon or Canon.

CRIS Camera
Pentax Service Dept
250 N. 54th ST
Chandler, AZ 85226
877-269-7179

Last edited by kolus; 09-10-2010 at 02:21 PM. Reason: Aquired new information.
09-10-2010, 12:25 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Pentax has closed down their FA factories, so they likely no longer have parts. There are are third-party repair places that can fix your lenses, however.

Pentax's marketing has always been lacking (but has been getting better lately), so let's hope a solution will be found and implemented by Pentax.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

09-10-2010, 04:00 PM   #3

Adam,
While Pentax 67 lenses are no longer being made, the 645 FA autofocus lenses have remained in production. When Pentax Japan announced that the entire 67 line was being discontinued, and that the 645II film body was also discontinued, they specifically said that 645 lens production would continue in anticipation of the 645D.
Pentax USA support for all medium format cameras and lenses ceased a couple of years ago. Repair is not a problem as there are any number of independent repair shops that can work on both 67 and 645 cameras and lenses.
It remains to be seen if Pentax USA will officially import the 645D into the USA. It's important to realize that Pentax Japan and Pentax USA are seperate entities and Pentax USA is not obligated to support Pentax products that are sold in other parts of the world.
09-16-2010, 10:48 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Pentax should offer parts and service for discontinued products for at least 5 years

09-16-2010, 08:04 PM   #5

The beef is with Pentax USA. Pentax Canada still offers service on the entire Pentax medium format line, and I'm sure Pentax Japan does as well.
So Pentax does offer parts and service on discontinued products. Pentax USA decided to get out of the service end of it, although independent repair shops can still order parts from them.
09-16-2010, 10:53 PM   #6
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by surfotog Quote
The beef is with Pentax USA. Pentax Canada still offers service on the entire Pentax medium format line, and I'm sure Pentax Japan does as well.
So Pentax does offer parts and service on discontinued products. Pentax USA decided to get out of the service end of it, although independent repair shops can still order parts from them.

Both the 67II and 645NII are active products for the Japan market...
67II : Medium-Format Cameras : PENTAX

645NII : Medium-Format Cameras : PENTAX

Steve
09-17-2010, 12:15 AM   #7

It's odd that Pentax Japan still has the 67II and 645NII on their website as current products. They announced last year that these models were being discontinued, with the 645 lenses remaining in production.
09-17-2010, 07:36 AM   #8
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by surfotog Quote
It's odd that Pentax Japan still has the 67II and 645NII on their website as current products. They announced last year that these models were being discontinued, with the 645 lenses remaining in production.
Very odd indeed, though not unheard of. Of course, this was the English version of the site. The Japanese version may read otherwise.

Edit: Just checked the Japanese site and both cameras are listed there as well...new-old-stock for the Japan market?

Steve

Last edited by stevebrot; 09-17-2010 at 07:46 AM.
09-27-2010, 02:06 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
On the question of service: where can I go for repair of a 645 FA 45-85mm in the UK? Zoom and focus got stuck.
I do not know why, though it may be the case that the Think Tank Retrospective bag offers too little protection.
09-27-2010, 07:04 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I thought Pentax announced that they are ceasing production of the 67II and 645NII. I assume they still have some inventory to sell, so keep the cameras on their website.